Team Objective Sudden Death?

• In my months of playing TO, I’ve noticed quite a few times where the clock is about to run down and the attacking team goes for one last push, only to have the match end as the cart is still moving (there are a few times I’ve even seen the cart get all the way to the end after time ran out), or while there’s still one guy left on the ballista, about to sink the last ship, or while there’s still someone in a cave swinging at the Royal Family.

I feel like SD would make the end of matches a lot more hectic and desperate while giving the attacking team the chance to continue on with the map.

Some suggestions for SD opportunities:
    -while a cart is still being pushed
    -while someone is still on an objective based siege-weapon/engine
    -while someone is still on a point that needs to be held and captured
    -while someone is still inside a room where the occupants still need to be killed
    -while an objective signal fire is still burning

(and maybe add a 5-second grace period before sudden death ends, giving them time to get back into the parameters that would continue SD?)

• Similar to TF2s overtime. As long as the objective is being played it goes into overtime.

There’s already something similar in FFA. When there’s two people at the top if the scoreboard with the same score it goes into overtime until one o te two gets another kill and is the winner.

• Time ran out one CTF game yesterday just as the enemy dropped our flag and our runner was steps away from scoring. It ended in a draw.

This feature is needed.

• It’s your own fault if you failed to complete the objective within the time limit. If you fell just short, well, that means it was a good match! I don’t think it’s necessary to change that. Be happy that it was so close.

• @dudeface:

It’s your own fault if you failed to complete the objective within the time limit. If you fell just short, well, that means it was a good match! I don’t think it’s necessary to change that. Be happy that it was so close.

My thoughts too. You should have been faster. I don’t want the game to go on and on just because someone is on the cart - cart might be only half way.

Probably just introduce new bugs.

• It was a good match. I never said it wasn’t.
    But if it’s good enough for TF2 to extend the time by mere seconds when the cart is being pushed or the flag is still in someone’s hands, until the contact with the goal is broken, then it’s good enough for Chiv.

• @buddhatron:

It was a good match. I never said it wasn’t.
    But if it’s good enough for TF2 to extend the time by mere seconds when the cart is being pushed or the flag is still in someone’s hands, until the contact with the goal is broken, then it’s good enough for Chiv.

The developers of TF2 listened to all those fan-suggestions.

And look at where that game is now.

• Isn’t this a better idea:

When the time runs out, they no longer get any reinforcements. Similar to tdm.

• End the spawnwave for the attacker team, so that the defenders have to take out the rest of them.

• @wildwulfy:

End the spawnwave for the attacker team, so that the defenders have to take out the rest of them.

No, I don’t want to wait around for 4 minutes like LTS for the archer to make taken out.

• @2maidens1chalice:

@buddhatron:

Making multimillions off the crate and key item system at no cost to them, boasting a massive player base, providing solid gameplay, and housing a vibrant clan community scrimming on the day-lee.
    http://raw-recruits.com/forum/team_fort … 613.0.html

Do correct me where I err.

@dudeface:

It’s your own fault if you failed to complete the objective within the time limit. If you fell just short, well, that means it was a good match! I don’t think it’s necessary to change that. Be happy that it was so close.

@gregcau:

My thoughts too. You should have been faster. I don’t want the game to go on and on just because someone is on the cart - cart might be only half way.

No. I stand by what I said. Sudden death is a great idea. It is not an inconvenience, and sure as hell never going to drag an objective run to pain-in-the-ass proportions. Even if it did, and a team took the cart from mid-map to the goal only once in sudden death, then they deserved it for having mustered up the team cohesion needed to never once let go of that cart. Given the rarity of finding that kind of teamwork, it’s safe to say that is, in the words of Dr. King Schultz, a dubious proposition at best.

In my eyes, it provides closure. A climactic ending. Tension. Not the disappointment of being A MATTER OF SECONDS too late. No. I can’t disagree with you two hard enough.

@gregcau:

Probably just introduce new bugs.

I realize this is hard for y’all in light of what we’ve seen so far, but have some fucking faith.

• @gregcau:

@wildwulfy:

End the spawnwave for the attacker team, so that the defenders have to take out the rest of them.

No, I don’t want to wait around for 4 minutes like LTS for the archer to make taken out.

Agreed.

LTS-mode is boring… if TDM didn’t turn into LTS at the end I might almost consider it a fun game mode. No need to ruin TO too.

That said, a TF2-style overtime would be greatly appreciated. Would make the last minute push all the more hectic and fun and satisfying.

As it is now the match ends as soon as the timer reaches below 60 seconds, where people start to realise there wouldn’t be time to complete the objective even if half the enemy team suddenly lost connection… which in effect increases the time spent waiting for the map to change from 20 seconds to possibly over a minute, which isn’t exactly exciting.

• I’d morelike to see something like stopping the timer when the objective is being done, for example if the bonfire is being lit (and after it’s completely lit because games have been lost because of those 15 secs). With “objective being done”, I don’t mean staying at the crinks in the dark forest cistern, only when it’s being turned down.
    But the sudden death idea could be done too, but in another way, like spawning bots to hunt down the remaining people.

• @2maidens1chalice:

@buddhatron:

Who wanted the game F2P? Not the fans. We already paid for the game.we didn’t want it F2P with a damn shop.

• Bumpity bump because I feel that it’s a solid idea that got more support then opposition and I want to expose it to more people.

• @lemonater47:

Who wanted the game F2P? Not the fans. We already paid for the game.we didn’t want it F2P with a damn shop.

Yeah, the fans wanted it to stagnate as a decaying husk of a once a popular game.

Damn Valve for revitalising the community with a huge active influx of new players and making the game more popular than it had ever been in the past.

On topic:
    Torn Banner, please, either add overtime to TO or make the timer stop any time the objective is actively progressing (e.g. bonfire is alight, trebuchets are being attacked, an objective ballista is occupied by an attacker, the ram/corpse wagon has attackers pushing it, there are attacks nearby living royal family doors etc.)

• @buddhatron:

Making multimillions off the crate and key item system at no cost to them

Nickel and dime schemes are exploitative and psychologically underhanded. The crate and key system is a bad thing and you should feel bad for supporting it.

boasting a massive player base, providing solid gameplay

Gameplay is a mess, the new weapons they throw in have become so ludicrously overpowered that if you don’t use the exactly right setup that everyone else is using you will more than likely lose.

Also, this “massive player base” of yours mostly just sits in chat asking for trades and hats.

and housing a vibrant clan community scrimming on the day-lee.
    http://raw-recruits.com/forum/team_fort … 613.0.html

Comparing numbers between a free to play game with paid games is intellectually dishonest and means zilch.

• Do these polls show up when torn banner takes interest or does the OP just put it there?

• Gameplay is a mess, the new weapons they throw in have become so ludicrously overpowered that if you don’t use the exactly right setup that everyone else is using you will more than likely lose.

Also, this “massive player base” of yours mostly just sits in chat asking for trades and hats.

Funny. There have been people saying pretty much the same about Chivalry. That there are setups which vastly outclass other loadouts (pre-patch SoW knight?) and if you don’t use specific class with specific weapons, you will more than likely lose. Also I’ve heard sayings that servers are full of nothing but exploiters. And you know what’s the most prominent thing these descriptions of two games have in common? They’re both bullshit, absolute, unfair ways to describe the game, and anyone who has played the game recently could objectively tell you that you’re wrong and are being partial.

On topic, however, I would support having overtime in TO. I’d say the attacking team no longer respawns, and if those still alive manage to not leave the objective for more than 5 secs, stay alive and push it to the very end- let them proceed to the next stage. Unlike TF2, in Chivalry it’s far harder to survive if you’re being rushed by a large number of people (assuming they know what they’re doing), add to that the movement restriction, since you can’t leave the objective, and very few TO matches would actually be completed this way. Still, it would provide a couple of good nailbiter games, and I’d say it’s worth it.