Identifying Some Problems with the Game

• What I don’t Like About The Game So Far

Hello and welcome to my first actual post! Please read it to its fullest extent and the tell me what you think :D

1. Archers blocking my Maul and then proceeding to stab me to death with a dagger
    Before you people shout at me “Get better” hear me out. I can see blocking a Maul with anything as game balancing purposes but come on there isn’t even a little stun side-effect from blocking a sledgehammer with a dagger!? I’m swinging a 30 LBS sledgehammer and you block it with a dagger and you shrug it off. Anybody else see something wrong with this? What I’m proposing is have it give a small stun effect (for Secondaries). Not long enough to go for an overhead but long enough to take a stab at them. This only applies to the bigger of the weapons such as Maul, Grand Mace, Messer, Double-Bladed Axe ect. In real life (before you yell at me this isn’t a realism post) you would be screwed as an archer against anybody else on the battlefield. Well except for maybe another archer :P

2. Vanguards stabbing me with a pike (or any other weapon) while I’m in their face
    This basically turns the game into Chivalry: Vanguard Warfare. It allows you to dominate at long ranges and at short ranges. Again does anyone see something wrong with this? They can reach out and poke me at long ranges. I can see that and gladly except that as an error on my part. But as soon as one of them stabs me while I’m in their face it drives me crazy. LMB would be useless to. “I’m gonna hit you with a long stick on the side and take away 1/3 of your health :P”. That is basically all they do. Only thing that would work (maybe) is hitting me in the head with the handle, dazing me for a second, and then you back up and get some range to attack. I propose you have to keep yourself at range to do damage. You have to hit them with the pointy bit is what I’m saying. Swords don’t bother me as much as getting stabbed point blank with a spear.

3. Feinting
    Not even gonna touch this one. So many forum posts out there for this. Except if I was in your position I would get rid of it entirely. All I’m gonna say.

4. Javelins
    Not gonna talk about reach, melee, or the shield. I’m talking about damage while being thrown. Right now they are a “Killing everything!” weapon, and they should be for the lighter classes. But if you hit me in the feet and do the same amount of damage as a Vanguards weapon there is something wrong. Only thing I’ve been able to do is grab a Tower Shield and run at them. This takes away the option for killing archers (I.E. Throwing Axes) and then when I get to them guess what! They have a decent melee weapon! Not hating on that it actually takes some skill to kill with it. If you are going after Knights you should be using a Crossbow (They were banned by the Pope back in the 18th century because they could kill a Knight with one well placed shot).

5. Weapons/Shields not blocking correctly
    This may be an error on my part but I’ve been playing alot in 3rd person and I’ve notice weapons going straight through blocks and shields. I mean like literally passing through them. This may be because I’m blocking to early or something. Just thought I should add this in.

6. Man At Arms Teleport Power
    Aaahhh yes this one. In game its like “Look at me I’m over here! Now I’m over here! And now you are dead because you can’t do anything to stop me >:D (well some of the times)” I have to give props to the people who can use the “Dodge” ability to their advantage and can run circles around you. I have been able to kill them before. The you ask “Why are you complaining Raptor? You said it yourself you can kill them.” Its because there is no sign to know when its coming besides a small grunt from them. Maybe like a lean back then portal 5 feet away? Just a thought.

7. Knights
    You didn’t think I would only hate on the lighter classes now would you. As I spend most of my time playing as a Knight I can tell you you guys got some stuff wrong.
    Movement
    We need to be slower. Yes I said it slower (I’m trying to emphasize that word can’t you tell? :p). With all the heavy plate on it will weigh you down alot. It should also cost more stamina to sprint. Less jumping height as well. Same amount of stamina is used though. This is so you don’t see bunny hoping Knights all over the place.
    Weapons
    Again need to be slower but be able to hit with more of a punch (maybe). If you don’t increase damage increase the time it takes to ready an attack (except fists. Fists are fun :P). Make it so we can plant out Tower Shields (again please)!! How would you use a shield like that in real life? (Again not a realism post) You would plant it. Put your foot behind it and hit people over the top of it with a Flail or provide cover for the Archers behind you
    Health
    More health. It is kind of sad an Archer can hit me with a wooden stick and kill me in only a couple of shots. Or stab me to death in like 5 hits. Chainmaille is mean’t to stop attacks for larger weapon (usually only slicing) and for smaller stabbing weapons (such as your Thrusting Dagger). Plus have you every tried to stick a knife through a piece of metal? It isn’t that easy (yes I have tried it. No I don’t want to talk about it…). Last thing if I’m swinging a Broadsword (or any 2 hander) You poking me with a dagger isn’t gonna stop the momentum of the weapon from coming down and hitting you upside the head. Kicking is fine as it is.

8. Crazy Tactics
    Hate when people use these. I have seen people bend over backwards and swing an overhand at you. It is weird, distracting and probably why they use it. As a Knight you would just fall on your back if you tried that. Same for Vanguard. I have found one person who used this next tactic. He called it a 180 Crouching Overhead. Can you get the picture? He would spin around crouch and overhead at the same time. Hitting you instantly and usually able to turn around and hit you before you can fight back. Which would usually kill you.
    Aiming at the feet!
    Hate this with the burning passion a 100,000 fiery suns. You are not going to be able to hit my feet with a horizontal swing while I have a Tower Shield XD. This aggravates me to no end when they attack your feet (which are armored as well and has a Tower Shield in front of them) and do almost the same damage as hitting your chest. Most of the Vanguard’s 2 hander swords can attack fast enough that you can’t jump after you stop flinching from the first blow before they hit you with the second one. I don’t use these tactics personally (except for the occasional jump over the sword thing)

Shield On My Back
    Getting shot from behind by an Archer or getting attacked from behind and dying while I have a shield on my back and they hit it straight on. Irritates me to no end. Does the game have it so it protects you. If so it doesn’t work for me :/

Ok that was my rant. Thanks if you kept on through the whole thing. Took me about an hour and a half to write. I also can’t post this with out giving the game some good feedback because this is an awesome game :D

Amazing sound effects (It is so satisfying to crush someone’s skull with my Maul >:D), really great combat if you can find someone who fights normally and without feints, fun archery if be a bit overpowered :p, some great community members (and some not so good), and the game is updated quite frequently (for game standards :P).

All in all great game Torn Banner. All you need to do is work out some kinks and you will have my game of the year!

(First post so sorry if some of this stuff is somewhere else to. Been to busy playing the game to look XD)

Also note these are my opinions and your’s may differ. Tell me what you think about the subjects I wrote about.

Hope to see you on the battlefield.

• 1. Archers blocking my Maul and then proceeding to stab me to death with a dagger
    You drain stamina much quicker when blocking a heavier weapon with your dagger.

2. Vanguards stabbing me with a pike (or any other weapon) while I’m in their face
    I would agree that this is unfair, but keep your distance from them and kick them if they get too close.

3. Feinting
    It needs tweaks, it could work if executed properly.

4. Javelins
    I don’t see any problems with javelins so far, but they can get annoying if played in groups.

Apparently lag plays a major part in blocking inconsistencies.

Dodging is fine, it works well and it can be easy to counter.

7. Knights
    Nothing for knight needs to be tweaked. More health? Are you insane?

Shield On My Back
    Are you sure? They could be hitting your shoulder or some other place, because shields are suppose to block projectiles in this game.

• Global Moderator

1. I agree that blocking a maul with a dagger should actually stun like a kick does now. Though daggers are my worst enemy the only weapon that can beat me in a fair fight is the dagger. But that’s me. Swapping to your secondary gives you so much more of an advantage. I hey do PCI your maul instantly swapping your secondary. Then you have more of a chance.

2. Again for balancing. Though spears are pretty slow with their underhand stab.

3. Feinting is being expiremented with. I think ku can still play the beta with the test feinting.

4. Javelins are hard for many people to use. Though in the right hands they can be very deadly.
    The javilin’s usefulness varies tons base on players skill. So its hard to balance. Though you will find that many jav users will swap to their secondary for combo reasons and they hate the buckler. Though javs can be pretty deadly in melee too. Heavy jav two stabs in the chest kills a vanguard.

5. Its more noticeable to see attacks going trough blocks in third person than in first I’ve found. Thiugh its easier to get around a shield than a parry.

6. Swing and miss tactic. Best way to kill dodgy MAAs. Swing and miss then combo into a stab with two handed weapons. Though the maul probably won’t work as its a bit slow. But with the long sword it works as with most other two handers of a similar speed or faster. Its hilarious because those dodging MAAs always fall for it.

7. Despite what many people think neither vanguard is wearing full plate armour. A fully armoured knight back then ha armour that totals around 15-20 Kilos. Agathian knight has full plate arms and legs. On his body is mail and under that is a leather jerkin of some sort. The mason knight has less playe on his rampant and legs and he’s wearing a wierd studded leather coat of plates. There’s a few other plates on his body but its not much. With it all spread out over the whole body it wouldn’t take that much to love around. Its not the weight of it slowing people down its units harder to move around in heavy armour.
    Weapons are actually all pretty much slowed down compared to reality, espicially bows. And the tower shooed isn’t that big. Planting it on the ground would mean you would have to crouch behind it.
    Balancing it all out with more health might work. The anno Domini 1257 mod for M&B has that realities combat your looking for. Gameplay wise it sucks shit. Hitting someone and it doing no damage.

8. You just gotta think of something more crazy back. Jumping works over swings aimed at the feet. Though with a shield its hard to see it coming. But you jump over and they just stand there wondering what the hell happened. And it usually takes an extra hit to kill even if only one of he swings hit the feet. With most weapons. Crouching and blocking effective though as you can still get hit jumping. Though not many people aim at the feet.

Shield on your back only block arrorws. Not attacks. Though with the tower and heater shills it clips theough your body on your back on someplaces and arrorws can hit there. With the kite shooed it doesn’t cover much of your back. And here’s a glitch where sometimes the shield isn’t on your back when you put it away. But you should notice that if your in third person.

• @Matti:

1. Archers blocking my Maul and then proceeding to stab me to death with a dagger
    You drain stamina much quicker when blocking a heavier weapon with your dagger.

I would agree that this is unfair, but keep your distance from them and kick them if they get too close.

3. Feinting
    It needs tweaks, it could work if executed properly.

4. Javelins
    I don’t see any problems with javelins so far, but they can get annoying if played in groups.

Apparently lag plays a major part in blocking inconsistencies.

Dodging is fine, it works well and it can be easy to counter.

7. Knights
    Nothing for knight needs to be tweaked. More health? Are you insane?

Shield On My Back
    Are you sure? They could be hitting your shoulder or some other place, because shields are suppose to block projectiles in this game.

1. I still think it should do more than just that. I mean come on If I swing a sledge at you what are you going to do with a dagger? Best thing would be to run away.

2. That’s the problem. Even If I kick them they can still hit with their main weapon. I shouldn’t have to kick them. They should be utterly useless in CQC unless they switch to secondaries.

3. Again still hate this mechanic. Only time I use it is to combo after a full swing.

4. I’ve had people throw them at my feet (I’m using a shield to get close) and they do a 1/3 of my health! That is just ridiculous.

5. Thought it was that or an error on my part. Thanks for clearing that up! :P

6. It could be but I still hate it :P

7. Did you see the compromise? (I thought it was pretty good guess not :/) Everything is slower for the Knight. His swing time. His movement speed in general. Not as much jumping height. Sprint is slower and costs stamina to use (all classes should have the it takes Stamina to sprint)

8. Nope I play alot in 3rd person and I’ve had crossbow bolts and arrows hit me straight in the back with my Tower Shield on my back and kill me.

Now these are my opinions and I respect yours :P Thanks for commenting!

• @lemonater47:

1. I agree that blocking a maul with a dagger should actually stun like a kick does now. Though daggers are my worst enemy the only weapon that can beat me in a fair fight is the dagger. But that’s me. Swapping to your secondary gives you so much more of an advantage. I hey do PCI your maul instantly swapping your secondary. Then you have more of a chance.

2. Again for balancing. Though spears are pretty slow with their underhand stab.

3. Feinting is being expiremented with. I think ku can still play the beta with the test feinting.

4. Javelins are hard for many people to use. Though in the right hands they can be very deadly.
    The javilin’s usefulness varies tons base on players skill. So its hard to balance. Though you will find that many jav users will swap to their secondary for combo reasons and they hate the buckler. Though javs can be pretty deadly in melee too. Heavy jav two stabs in the chest kills a vanguard.

5. Its more noticeable to see attacks going trough blocks in third person than in first I’ve found. Thiugh its easier to get around a shield than a parry.

6. Swing and miss tactic. Best way to kill dodgy MAAs. Swing and miss then combo into a stab with two handed weapons. Though the maul probably won’t work as its a bit slow. But with the long sword it works as with most other two handers of a similar speed or faster. Its hilarious because those dodging MAAs always fall for it.

7. Despite what many people think neither vanguard is wearing full plate armour. A fully armoured knight back then ha armour that totals around 15-20 Kilos. Agathian knight has full plate arms and legs. On his body is mail and under that is a leather jerkin of some sort. The mason knight has less playe on his rampant and legs and he’s wearing a wierd studded leather coat of plates. There’s a few other plates on his body but its not much. With it all spread out over the whole body it wouldn’t take that much to love around. Its not the weight of it slowing people down its units harder to move around in heavy armour.
    Weapons are actually all pretty much slowed down compared to reality, espicially bows. And the tower shooed isn’t that big. Planting it on the ground would mean you would have to crouch behind it.
    Balancing it all out with more health might work. The anno Domini 1257 mod for M&B has that realities combat your looking for. Gameplay wise it sucks shit. Hitting someone and it doing no damage.

8. You just gotta think of something more crazy back. Jumping works over swings aimed at the feet. Though with a shield its hard to see it coming. But you jump over and they just stand there wondering what the hell happened. And it usually takes an extra hit to kill even if only one of he swings hit the feet. With most weapons. Crouching and blocking effective though as you can still get hit jumping. Though not many people aim at the feet.

Shield on your back only block arrorws. Not attacks. Though with the tower and heater shills it clips theough your body on your back on someplaces and arrorws can hit there. With the kite shooed it doesn’t cover much of your back. And here’s a glitch where sometimes the shield isn’t on your back when you put it away. But you should notice that if your in third person.

1. Thank you for agreeing with me but I hate secondary weapon :/ Don’t know why just do.

2. I know is for balancing purposes but good god it is annoying. And I wouldn’t call that slow. If they can get one of before my overhand with a Maul is done. It isn’t slow.

3.Still hate the serious feinters that its like feint, feint, feint, feint, normal swing, feint, feint.

4.I know they are hard to use (I played only archer for the longest of times) and only got a couple of kills with them. But hitting me in the feet and dealing 1/3 of my health is ridiculous. I don’t care how heavy your javelin is.

5. Thanks for clearing that up :P

6. Don’t really like the Swords in this game. Only use them when I have to. But thanks for the tip :P

7. I knew the Vanguard isn’t in full plate. I also thought about the combined weight if my personal setup (A Maul/Grand Mace, Holy Water Sprinkler/Falchion, and a Tower shield. Never use anything else) and lugging all that around would slow you down alot.
    As for the planting idea you could do it with the Tower Shield or could make a new Planting Shield (nothing like the puny Archer shield). You plant it and your character goes into a special motion to get behind it and then you can’t move. You can’t use it for blocking in combat either. Only planting. But if you have the right weapon (such as a Flail) You can overhand over it and hit someone who got to close. 3rd person would be handy for this. An actual shield wall could be formed to defend a position. It could easily be broken up by a fire pot though.

8.Never been able to learn the crazy stuff. Always try and stay true to the style of fighting I think would have been used. Except for the occasional jump :P

Shield
    I’ve had arrows and crossbow bolts pass right through it. And why wouldn’t it block attacks? It is a shield. On your back. And they can still hit through it. I don’t see the logic in this.

Thanks for commenting :D

• @Raptor425:

Shield
    I’ve had arrows and crossbow bolts pass right through it. And why wouldn’t it block attacks? It is a shield. On your back. And they can still hit through it. I don’t see the logic in this.

Gameplay.

Imagine fights? It would be EVERYONE using shields, hitting the opponent, then turning their back to them for a free block, then turning round to hit again. Would look like some kinda strange version of ballet. :P

With projectiles it’s not so bad since generally you’re not going to do that, as you’ll always want to be running TOWARDS the archer. It just helps to block the odd bloke trying to snipe you from behind.

• LOLS giving out advice about tactics instead of fixing the issue is retarded. There I said it. All heavy weapons should be able to 1 hit archers, and if they parry a heavy weapon, they should take damage as well as lose stamina. Period.

Archer class is far too OP since they can 1 shot at rage, every class, depending on load out. They have the least armor and should take more damage because of it. This would in turn keep them where they belong, a RANGE CLASS.

• waaa waaaa waaa nerf nerf nerf op op op! here we go again with fkn nerfs,
    we dont need a decent game any more to play lets just keep fkn ruining it with nerfs

i got an idea u might like,lets just make it so u spawn and click a few times and it says ur the best u win u pwnd every1, u guys might actually play that and not whine so much.

• I don’t agree about the knight. What good does his extra health do if he’s even slower so that everyone can block him even easier? He’ll just get stabbed to death as usual, only that it takes a bit longer.

Edit: Oh, and the crossbow was banned in the 12th century IIRC, and it was only a banned to be used against other Christians.

• It’s dead, Jim. Don’t try to put together what you can’t fix. Time to look forward to some new games, how about Bannerlord? I’m sure that will get more than two updates like this game did.

• @WARSAW:

waaa waaaa waaa nerf nerf nerf op op op! here we go again with fkn nerfs,
    we dont need a decent game any more to play lets just keep fkn ruining it with nerfs

i got an idea u might like,lets just make it so u spawn and click a few times and it says ur the best u win u pwnd every1, u guys might actually play that and not whine so much.

This is just what I don’t like about the game right now. All in all the game is incredibly fun and has hours and hours of fun in it. I don’t want this game to turn into a CoD game with swords instead of guns. I admit I do have alot of room to improve in the game.

These were just my opinions and you could have given some consrtuctive criticism on what I wrote but nope you just jump to the conclusion that I want to nerf this and this so that the game is easier to play.

• @SavageBeatings:

I don’t agree about the knight. What good does his extra health do if he’s even slower so that everyone can block him even easier? He’ll just get stabbed to death as usual, only that it takes a bit longer.

Edit: Oh, and the crossbow was banned in the 12th century IIRC, and it was only a banned to be used against other Christians.

This was just and idea I threw out there. But did you see the part where small arms can’t interrupt the Knight’s attacks anymore (Crudguel, Daggers, Sabers e.c.t) so even if they do run in to stab you they will still get hit. Larger weapons such as the Swords and Axes can still interrupt their attacks.

I didn’t know the date they were banned so I just threw something I thought sounded right out there XD

Thanks for clearing that up.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.