Sprinting: What's wrong with it and how it can be improved

• Sprinting is pretty messed up right now. It’s pretty much completely broken with toggle sprint and it almost seems random how it works when it’s alternating between using the sprinting animation or not and going between moving at sprinting speed or just walking. But everyone probably already knows about how glitched sprinting is right now so I won’t go into that. Instead I’ll bring up what I think is wrong with sprinting at a design level and how it could be changed to work a bit better with everything else.

1. Everything is too dependant on it being on at all times

Right now in combat it is almost necessary to keep sprinting in order to do well. Your movement speed while not sprinting is basically a slow walk and since you can still attack while sprinting it gives you a massive advantage to be able stay sprinting in a fight. This is where the whole dancing thing comes from where people will sprint around in circles to keep their momentum up, which ends up looking pretty stupid. It also makes it so that not having sprint set to toggle on the options puts you at a major disadvantage because it is putting your base movement speed to a crawl unless you hold down the shift key constantly.

2. It makes the speed difference between classes almost negligible

At full sprint there is next to no difference in speed between a knight and a man-at-arms. The only time it really becomes apparent that they are moving at different speeds is when running long-distance alongside each other. In combat they might as well be the same, which kind of defeats the whole point of having light and heavy classes in the first place.

3. It’s one of the major reasons why face hugging is so common

Being able to move at full sprint while still swinging your weapon makes face hugging incredibly easy to pull off. You can go from being a reasonable distance apart from someone to right in their face extremely quickly by sprinting and since there are no restrictions on using your weapon while sprinting it leads to face hugging attacks.

Now what I think should be done that would hopefully change sprinting to be something that isn’t meant to be on constantly and acts as more of a quick burst of speed to close the distance between someone or to create distance.

1. Make sprinting consume stamina

Pretty simple here. Just add a stamina cost to sprinting so you can’t keep it going indefinitely.

2. Disable attacking while sprinting

Another simple thing to do. Make it so that you need to stop sprinting before you can swing your weapon. It would mean that you would have to stop your sprint when you engage someone in combat before you’re right in their face unless you want to take a hit before you can attack. It would also make the vanguard’s charge a lot more worthwhile because it would be the only attack that can be executed from a sprint.

3. Increase the non-sprinting speed of all classes slightly

This is to work with the last two suggestions. If sprinting is to be reserved for use outside of combat and if it was changed so you couldn’t sprint indefinitely, then a slight speed boost across the board for regular movement would help prevent crossing the map from taking forever. It would also encourage more use of footwork in combat where both players actually move around each other to keep the flow of battle going without having to resort to sprinting in circles.

Overall if all three changes were implemented then I believe it would get rid of almost all of the problems concerning face hugging and it would make combat feel a lot more controlled with both players being able to dodge attacks more effectively with fancy footwork while still being able to keep their eyes on each other.

• I just read what was in bold and I generally agree with you. Sprinting isn’t so well put together.

• Hmm I sort of like and dislike this suggestion at the same time, but I think it would be worth giving it a test atleast.

• Stamina for running? are you serious??

Terrible ideas. Slow the game down for no reason?

• Vanguard and knight already having hard time with their weapon, if running costing stamina. By the time they get to their enemy, they wouldn’t have stamina to swing their weapon. Also the map ain’t small.

Disable attack while sprint? I’d suggestion you will stop running as you swing your weapon, not disable attack while sprint. It would confuse alot of veteran Chivalry players.

• I agree with you on these problems, but I disagree with you on your solutions besides a small walk speed buff for everyone.

Sprint taking stamina is very bad for gameplay, as you can either crawl to the fight or reach it without stamina…this is not fun at all.

If you can’t attack while sprinting then you cannot chase and kill enemies=very bad.

So to turn sprint into a travel/chase only mechanic we have to do this:
    -comboing ends your sprint (so you can catch someone and keep attacking, but you cannot sprint around and attack without entering your recovery time, which puts you at a severe disadvantage)
    -parries (either you parrying or your enemy parrying you) end sprint and enforce a sprint cooldown of 1 second
    -sprint must be changed to NOT give an instant speed boost. Sprint should not do anything on the first 0.5 seconds and then linearly ramp up your speed from walk to full sprint.

• @Falc:

-sprint must be changed to NOT give an instant speed boost. Sprint should not do anything on the first 0.5 seconds and then linearly ramp up your speed from walk to full sprint.

NO reason to have this at all, it would just fuck up alot of peoples footwork for no reason.

• that change would make the input feel alot more sloppy

in fact there doesnt have to be changed anything with the sprint in terms of balance, there are way bigger problems in the game.

• @CRUSHED:

NO reason to have this at all, it would just fuck up alot of peoples footwork for no reason.

• that change would make the input feel alot more sloppy

in fact there doesnt have to be changed anything with the sprint in terms of balance, there are way bigger problems in the game.

Sprint has to be changed sometime. Of course it is not high priority, but 10 heavily armored people sprinting in circles around each other and hitting each other in the back is just plain stupid and does not feel like an “epic hollywood-realistic” game at all. You know the very experience CMW tries to deliver.

Sprint right now is so powerful that I have bound sprint to my W key. I don’t think there is anything else to add.

• This game would be very silly though if it was too realistic…

• I believe that too many changes to the game will just make people unsatisfied with the game

• The main issue with the changes seem to be that it would make getting around larger maps a bit of a chore. A few ideas that could help make it a bit less awkward:

1. Give you unlimited stamina until you attack. Then make it cost stamina until you go a certain time without attacking.

This would make getting around the map work as it does now, and the changes I suggested wouldn’t come into play until you’re actually fighting someone. I’d say about 10-15 seconds without attacking before you have unlimited sprint again would work pretty well. It would still allow you to use sprint as a quick way to get around the map out of combat, but would still reserve it to be used just for quick bursts of speed in combat.

2. Simply give it a slowish stamina drain. About enough to sprint from the Agatha spawn to the farm on Battlefield.

Doesn’t require much explanation. Just allow sprinting to last long enough to cover a decent bit of ground and it won’t affect getting around as much. And it would still be enough for players to keep an eye on their stamina while sprinting into combat.

Falc raised another good point as well. Not being able to hit people while chasing after them would make running away way too effective. So how about you allow attacks while sprinting, but you can’t start a combo with them and they cost a large amount of stamina even when they connect? Although that sounds a lot like the vanguard’s charge attack, which kind of defeats the purpose of the one class having that type of attack.

• No. “No stamina drain until attack” was what AoC used at it was terrible IMO. 1 guy could be near your spawn and then you have to walk the entire rest of the way. Running to an ammo box after killing a group of enemies? Nope - can’t do it.

People seem to forget that sprinting already effectively drains stamina - it drains it at the same speed as it regenerates. Using up all your stamina in a fight will delay you from engaging again if you want any stamina. As MaA I definitely do not use sprint ALL the time and if I could then it would cause serious problems.

The only problem I have with sprint right now is that you can change direction and instantly be moving at high speed. There’s no turn around time like there was before. Also, if I hit someone they can effectively keep sprinting. There needs to be a penalty for sprint-stopping actions further than the slightly reduced sprint speed.

• Making it so you can sprint again after about 10-15 seconds from an attack would fix the first issue. You could get in a fight with someone at the spawn and then be able to sprint again without using stamina after a very short wait, probably less time than waiting for your health to regenerate.

And right now stamina is pretty much a non-issue unless you’re playing in a way that’s wasting it. Like constantly missing or trying to turtle with a shield. MaA is the only class that really needs to keep an eye on their stamina. Making sprinting consume stamina would make it more important to keep tract of for all classes.

To be honest I think the way stamina works could use a bit of change right now. Maybe make it work like it does in the Souls games where it drains quickly and restores quickly. It puts a need to watch it in a fight, but doesn’t have stamina as a thing to keep you sitting out of battle waiting for it to recharge like it does now.

• If you ask me, stopping sprint upon being parried would solve a lot of problems.

• @Wangmaster:

If you ask me, stopping sprint upon being parried would solve a lot of problems.

I agree, thats all that is needed.

• @Wangmaster:

If you ask me, stopping sprint upon being parried would solve a lot of problems.

You would be able to get around that by binding sprint to W. A lot of people already do that because there’s no reason to ever stop sprinting in a fight. The only time you ever need to stop is to regenerate health between fights.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.