What would happen if we had some archer free servers?

• One of the reasons i’m looking forward to the mods coming out is i hope to get to play on some archer free servers. don’t know about other peeps but i started playing the game because i loved the melee combat. i’m getting increasingly frustrated having fights and occasionaly great runs interrupted by an arrow from nowhere, turning a yeah moment into a meh one. ffs, i was playing the other night against a team that had 8, yes EIGHT archers! they just stood off firing into the combat, and completely ruined the melee aspect of the game.
    i think there are lots of players fed up being fish in a barrel for archers you can’t get anywhere near, or often even see. the only counter tactic is to have even more archers on your team… and that way lies madness.
    of course if too many of us melee lovers were to go over to archer free servers, then what would happen to all the archers? LOL they’d be alone on servers without the fish.
    how do other people feel about this? personally i wouldn’t miss archers one little bit and would jump at the chance to play archer free chivalry.

• There are archer limited servers. Try and get on those

• I think the game would become more of a moshpit without archers.

But more importantly I think the combat would become less tense/exciting. Think about it, there is nowhere that is unsafe for you to stand.

• @bagetti:

I think the game would become more of a moshpit without archers.

But more importantly I think the combat would become less tense/exciting. Think about it, there is nowhere that is unsafe for you to stand.

• Vanguard rolfcopters all day, everyday. How does one find there servers?

• It would be nice if you could limit weapons instead of just the entire class. Limiting or disabling bows and crossbows and leaving the javelins free would be pretty neat.

• @bagetti:

I do not get this.

• Iv seen no archer servers. Sometimes I would prefer to not play with any archers, but for the most part I tolerate them. They are good for breaking up grouping in TO and camping.

• Knight vanguard only server would be fantastic.

• Or just get people to throw some smoke bombs?

Last TO game the masons had the battering ram at the aragon’s front door but their archers were too good and too many. I kept telling everyone to throw their smoke grenades, but no one would. In the end the masons were spawning together and with my two carefully placed smoke grenades my buddies were able to get the door down quite promptly.

• I’ve been running a 12 man FFA server that limits archer to 3 and all other classes to 6.
    It works out pretty well. More servers need to experiment with class limits.

• If you weren’t available, i had a no archer weekend event on my server. It was totally fun and just a nice change of pace to have a weekend free archer server. I had a ton of fun, a bunch of others came in to support the event and i think most enjoyed it.

Nothing bad happens, it’s just uninhibited full on melee combat. I loved it and had a ton of fun with it.

Nothing against archers btw… but it was a fun event i had on my old server and it turned out great to be honest. I like archers in the game, i play with them occasionally and have fun with it… but it’s nice sometimes to just be able to have fights without someone interrupting them, or killing you at the last second, or camping with a crossbow in the back of the map.

And if any server admins are curious how to do this… you have to set whatever class you don’t want to be chooseable to negative 1. If you set it to 0… you will still be able to choose the class… but you have to actually set it to a negative number. It’s surprising how long it took me to figure that out, lol… but yeah, you have to set the number to negative number. I just set mine to neg 1.

• @clayton-bigsby:

you have to set whatever class you don’t want to be chooseable to negative 1. If you set it to 0… you will still be able to choose the class… but you have to actually set it to a negative number.

@Slight:

• don’t blame me, that’s just the way it is lol. 0 is not 0 int he config file apparently, you literally ahve to set it to a negative number, sorry if im an idiot or something lol

i say vanguards only, and damnit if there isn’t an option to make only the zweihander available, i can see the spam now. Glorious spam

• @clayton-bigsby:

don’t blame me, that’s just the way it is lol. 0 is not 0 int he config file apparently, you literally ahve to set it to a negative number, sorry if im an idiot or something lol

i say vanguards only, and damnit if there isn’t an option to make only the zweihander available, i can see the spam now. Glorious spam

It’s because 0 typically means turning the option off in a config rather than a number amount. 0 in this instance means that you are turning off the command to restrict archers in any way.

• @clayton-bigsby:

If you weren’t available, i had a no archer weekend event on my server. It was totally fun and just a nice change of pace to have a weekend free archer server. I had a ton of fun, a bunch of others came in to support the event and i think most enjoyed it.

Nothing bad happens, it’s just uninhibited full on melee combat. I loved it and had a ton of fun with it.

Nothing against archers btw… but it was a fun event i had on my old server and it turned out great to be honest. I like archers in the game, i play with them occasionally and have fun with it… but it’s nice sometimes to just be able to have fights without someone interrupting them, or killing you at the last second, or camping with a crossbow in the back of the map.

And if any server admins are curious how to do this… you have to set whatever class you don’t want to be chooseable to negative 1. If you set it to 0… you will still be able to choose the class… but you have to actually set it to a negative number. It’s surprising how long it took me to figure that out, lol… but yeah, you have to set the number to negative number. I just set mine to neg 1.

I recon a good gaming mode could be made from this.
    Just thinking aloud…but maybe if the gaming mode starts during some battle where all the ammo has run out (so archers still allowed but with no ammo). Both teams fight for the ammo cache in the middle of the map, but the cache has to be broken into/opened.

• @sharkh20:

@clayton-bigsby:

don’t blame me, that’s just the way it is lol. 0 is not 0 int he config file apparently, you literally ahve to set it to a negative number, sorry if im an idiot or something lol

It’s because 0 typically means turning the option off in a config rather than a number amount. 0 in this instance means that you are turning off the command to restrict archers in any way.

oh, yeah well i’m just saying 0 doesn’t work lol… i’ve tried this already. you actually have to set it to a negative number to have it actually disable choosing the character. I didn’t make the game ;)

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.