MAPTOOLS!!

• It seems to me that the population of this game is slowly fading and will continue to do so until new content is created. I know that many people will say that bug X or issue Y is more important and in regards to bugs I totally agree. However the main reason people are leaving IMO is not because of angry people who don’t like feints/facehugging/combo feints/ghost swings/weapon balance etc. (although that’s not helping) it’s because the game is getting a little sameish.

The current maps are quite good but we really don’t have enough to keep everyone interested.

Hopefully whilst Torn Banner attend to fixing the problems above, they still are working on getting the SDK out. Particularly the **maptools **side. If anything this is the most important IMO. In the Custom Content section there are guides on how to start making maps already with the UDK but we need a Chivalry SDK to implement them.

My belief is that getting maptools out there should be VERY high on TB’s list of priorities. Even if they release a basic SDK that simply allows us to import maps made using the UDK.

This way the community will generate the content for TB and they can concentrate on fixing game issues, bugs etc.

• I agree new content is needed.

I am skeptical how much the community will actually build in terms of maps and whether they will be good quality and generally usable.

Having new maps is great but if the server admins don’t add them into the TO rotation (assuming its just the maps and objectives that is customized) then it will be all for naught.

• Well, I for one hope that new maps will be adopted. It just seems from the last content patch that we’re unlikely to see extensive new maps (such as TO maps) for a long time without the help from the community.

I think we’re at the stage now where mods will carry this game forward. There are plenty of other games where the mods themselves have kept the game going long after the vanilla game is dead (Medieval Total War 2 is a good example with the Stainless Steel and Middle Earth mods).

• @gregcau:

Having new maps is great but if the server admins don’t add them into the TO rotation (assuming its just the maps and objectives that is customized) then it will be all for naught.

Well, that’s all about Devs communication with the community… Devs should be generally aware of new, high quality maps and after a proper testing on dedicated open servers, make them official (part of a content update) or semi-official (part of a recommended but not obligatory module).

I know this game doesnt have so large player base, but when I look at games like Starcraft or The Elder Scrolls, I see an extremely high potential in modding. FFS, people are creating first-person shooters in Galaxy Editor! Why? Because they can! And concerning TES, I do not believe it would be half as popular without it’s editor.

In fact, after the debacle with TES IV: Oblivion, I can’t imagine there would be any Skyrim without the masses of dedicated fans that rebuilt literally every aspect of Oblivion (ranging from the skill skill system; through modifications of combat system like allowing 2 weapons and kill-moves, both of which where btw adopted into Skyrim; to the polishing of the existing content and adding tons of new one) and changed it literally from shit to gold.

• i’m hoping and thinking that this is happening in the next Content Update, after the next patch or two… however many are needed. I want the bugs and crap to be fixed first… then the sdk and some customization will be welcomed changes… granted, they will probably have more bugs associated with it lol. I’m okay with moonwalking btw… it’s chivalry’s tribute to Michael Jackson.

I’m glad that some people enjoy the duel mode as well… but there are now like what… 13 maps for duel mode… and like only 5 TO maps. TO is my favorite mode and i want more TO maps… for realzies.

• Dunno’ man. Bug fixing is by far a bigger priority than more content IMO. I feel like the game was much better before patch CU1, but that’s just my opinion. Maybe I’m just too scared of more things breaking when new content is added.

• @SOC:

Dunno’ man. Bug fixing is by far a bigger priority than more content IMO. I feel like the game was much better before patch CU1, but that’s just my opinion. Maybe I’m just too scared of more things breaking when new content is added.

right there with ya buddy, i think we all are lol

• I think bugs and maps are equally important.

The community can help by making maps, only TB can fix bugs however.

• Bugs and balance should be priority 1 next to an SDK release. Even some of the basic custom maps in AOC were epic to play and added much variety to a game that was going stale. Let the community dev custom content, I know many who are wanting another Helms Deep Map. Not only that but I have already looked into importing AOC maps and converting them into UDK since many of them have superior playability to the current maps filled with shitty map design that really needs to be cleaned up and optimized. Seriously, how much over building current maps with overlapping brushes and crap being rendered that you will never see from a players perspective…… Dont get me started on not being able to jump up on terrain or really use and interact with the environment only to get glitched on to a poorly placed rock or roof.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS SDK!

• @clayton-bigsby:

@SOC:

Dunno’ man. Bug fixing is by far a bigger priority than more content IMO. I feel like the game was much better before patch CU1, but that’s just my opinion. Maybe I’m just too scared of more things breaking when new content is added.

right there with ya buddy, i think we all are lol

+1

• The community is quite small, don’t expect much quality user generated content. Maybe 1 or 2 maps at best. If we are lucky an unexpectedly enjoyable map/mode will be jimmed with the tools. Zombie mode perhaps?

• @Toll:

The community is quite small, don’t expect much quality user generated content. Maybe 1 or 2 maps at best. If we are lucky an unexpectedly enjoyable map/mode will be jimmed with the tools. Zombie mode perhaps?

I don’t think so. There are many players outside there, who would definitly begin to build own maps. Hell, I even know 3 (apart of me. I will do so too).

• shit… i know i’ll fucking try and make a map. It’s going to be a flat free for all map, with no barriers. It will be my own new map for my server to host classic ffa duels on lol. It will be the easiest map ever. (said the guy with no map making experience lol)

• need an actual good duel mode and practice arena at teh same time, similar to ammomod in tf2

• classic duels = good duel mode. Currently though i and others find moor to be the best map for this because of larger open space, flat areas, etc. However, the barricades need to go, there are very rarely archer battles in which they are used (in duels I mean) and a 2nd moor map without barricades would be great for FFA classic duels to take place in. Too many times do they get in the way.

Also, another version of moor that has ammo boxes on it would be welcomed… simple little change i would think. Then you can have some crazy LTS games with stupid amounts of firepots and arrows and throwables going on.

• Honestly for retro duel mode, i’d like just a large grass flat, no hills or elevation changes, no scenery, just flat ground.

• that’s what i’m saying… we need a flat grass map with fucking NOTHING on it lol.

Then we can have one that’s just a huge wave pool lmao.

• @clayton-bigsby:

that’s what i’m saying… we need a flat grass map with fucking NOTHING on it lol.

Then we can have one that’s just a huge wave pool lmao.

If the waves knocked you down that would be pretty fun.

• I’ll definitly build a FFA-Duel map. I guess I take the idea from my most beloved M&B duel-map :D

Hopefully they’ll implement classic duels until then :(

• Even if its not totally brand new maps. Modding the current maps would give some variation as well and wouldn’t be too hard to do. Even that would add some variety to the game.