"Dodge-lunging" distance variations (new video)

• I was messing around with Quarterstaff dodge-lunging after the patch that removed its ridiculously fast lunge when I started to notice some inconsistencies with how fast you can lunge with different weapons, so I decided to make a video to record my findings.

_Edit: I’ve completed and uploaded a new, expanded version of the video.

This new video illustrates dodge-lunging in all 4 directions with each uniquely behaving loadout. I also tried to be a little more scientific and professional about the presentation._

[youtubehd:2p7qz93p]ZPuRGcohzug[/youtubehd:2p7qz93p]

Results - The number following the direction name is steps from water… the lower/less positive the value the faster, and thus further, the dodge-lunge is for that loadout-direction combination.

One-Handed Primaries, Non-Dagger Secondaries:

• Forwards: +3

• Backwards: +2

• Right: +3

• Left: +0.5

Daggers:

• Forwards: N/A (not able to lunge)

• Left: N/A (not able to lunge)

Fists:

Quarterstaff:

• Forwards: +4

• Backwards: +4

• Left: +4

Anything + Heater Shield:

• Forwards: +2

• Backwards: +0.5

• Right: +0.5

• Left: +3

Anything + Buckler Shield:

• Forwards: +0.5

• Backwards: -2 <–Fastest lunge in the game

The differences look a lot like oversights, don’t you agree?

Previous video, for the sake of archiving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqKIpN_jG4

• if thats the case, then different weapon loadouts have different super dodges too?

More science testing?

• This definitely needs more testing.
    How many times did you try with each weapon? I notice that the quarter-staff is extremely inconsistent with dodges,especially with speed.

• Was this recorded before or after the hotfix released? Maybe its a bit different with the dodge changes for better or worse.just throwin it out there as I haven’t tested much, I don’t play man at arms often.

• @Anonymoose:

Was this recorded before or after the hotfix released? Maybe its a bit different with the dodge changes for better or worse.just throwin it out there as I haven’t tested much, I don’t play man at arms often.

I recorded this just last night, and then edited it together that same night… Kind of a mistake on my part, I felt like staying up, but I didn’t think it’d keep me up quite as long as it did.
    I felt like I was going to die when I had to get up for uni >.<

@jrmftw:

This definitely needs more testing.
    How many times did you try with each weapon? I notice that the quarter-staff is extremely inconsistent with dodges,especially with speed.

It wasn’t very rigorous testing, as I didn’t test every single weapon and only did each dodge-lunge twice to quickly check that my method was consistent. (Looking back I should have tested the Hunting Knife, since it has a different overhead to the other two daggers now.)

I’ll do some more thorough testing today… If I find anything inconsistent with the data above I’ll record my findings.
    Although if I can’t locate any inconsistencies in my data I won’t bother recording again, at least not today, since I’m feeling rather lazy and sleepy now.

• Dammit… why did I have to test more thoroughly? Now I have to make another, longer video.

There’s even more data, and this time it’s even more arbitrary and nonsensical.

I had been only dodging forwards so far, but it turns out that not only does the direction you dodge affect the lunge distance, but the effect of the direction varies depending on your loadout… e.g. the heater shield’s forward lunge is longer than its left lunge, primaries without a shield travel further lunging left and backwards than they do forwards, daggers without shields can only lunge in 2 directions, lunging backwards with the buckler almost feels like cheating it’s so fast etc.

On a positive note I tested every primary and secondary weapon, and found that there were no exceptions to the categories I wrote above, so all information there regarding forwards dodging is accurate.

Might have to wait till tomorrow for me to make the video though. Even if I could get myself to record all the necessary footage today I doubt I’d have the energy to edit it together.

• this is wrong every maa secondary and primary with or without shield can achieve the same distance of 3 and a half tiles on throne room dodging foward or sideways a backwards dodge can achieve 2 tiles. the dodge must be done in the last millisecond of windup, so the timing vary’s for different weapons.

• this is wrong every maa secondary and primary with or without shield can achieve the same distance of 3 and a half tiles on throne room dodging foward or sideways, a backwards dodge can achieve 2 tiles. the dodge must be done in the last millisecond of windup, so the timing vary’s for different weapons.

• @dotamachine:

this is wrong every maa secondary and primary with or without shield can achieve the same distance of 3 and a half tiles on throne room dodging foward or sideways, a backwards dodge can achieve 2 tiles. the dodge must be done in the last millisecond of windup, so the timing vary’s for different weapons.

Nice double-post, although I get the impression that you don’t understand what’s going on here.

I’m dodging off of a ledge and holding sprint so that my horizontal velocity doesn’t die off after the regular dodge distance, thus allowing for a “lunge” off of the ledge that carries you further and faster than regularly jumping would.
    Also what’s this talk of windup? It’s got nothing to do with attack animations.

• my bad sorry for the double post, i should have been more specific you can “dodge lunge” and retain your velocity if u add an attack in with the dodge sprint. Play throne room and you should be able to dodge from the balcony to the fountain with any weapon.

• I’ve completed and uploaded a new, expanded version of the video.

Illustrates dodge-lunging in all 4 directions with each uniquely behaving loadout. I also tried to be a little more scientific and professional about the presentation.

[youtubehd:3sow84k4]ZPuRGcohzug[/youtubehd:3sow84k4]

New data - The number following the direction name is steps from water… the lower/less positive the value the faster, and thus further, the dodge-lunge is for that loadout-direction combination.

One-Handed Primaries, Non-Dagger Secondaries:

Daggers:

• Forwards: N/A (not able to lunge)

Fists:

Quarterstaff:

• Forwards: +4

• Backwards: +4

• Left: +4

• Forwards: +2

• Backwards: +0.5

• Left: +3

Anything + Buckler Shield:

OP is being updated to account for new information.

• @dotamachine:

my bad sorry for the double post, i should have been more specific you can “dodge lunge” and retain your velocity if u add an attack in with the dodge sprint. Play throne room and you should be able to dodge from the balcony to the fountain with any weapon.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I didn’t even know that was a thing until I tried it out just now. Thanks for pointing this out.

I guess me calling this “dodge-lunging” isn’t the best choice of term, since what you’re talking about fits the name better.

Maybe I should be calling it aerial dodging or something? Or perhaps I should call your technique attack-dodge-lunging?

After some basic testing I’ve found loadout choice has even more of an effect on the attack-dodge-lunge than it did with the dodge-lunge, e.g. with the Quarterstaff the attack-dodge-lunge only adds enough velocity to be on par with the forwards dodge-lunges of the other Primaries, while the attack-dodge-lunge on the Daggers sends you flying even faster than the backwards dodge-lunge of the Buckler did.

I may have to make yet another video (dammit) specifically about that technique, since with certain weapons it’s more powerful (although it costs more stamina and is very easy to screw up)

• @Dibbz:

Found a typo, I believe it is Anything + Buckler Shield.

• @Kipper:

Found a typo, I believe it is Anything + Buckler Shield.

Woops. You are correct sir, thanks for pointing that out.

• This is probably already known but you can fully drain your stamina by spamming dodge button. Wasn’t there a cooldown to prevent this? I mean you literally do like 5/6 dodges in 1 second,

• That’s a fair bit off topic, but you are correct - the dodge cooldown doesn’t function properly. It prevents you from successfully dodging multiple times if you spam the key, but all failed dodges still eat stamina as if they were successful even though you didn’t move a centimetre.

• Well done on documenting this Dibbz.

This is definitely the prime reason why people are crying about super dodges. These extra distances that you can perform forwards only multiply the effect. The biggest issue is with using shields.

Dodge distances need to be normalized for sure.