Blocking system broken as always

• Thread Title says it all, this pisses me so much off when I play this game.

• I can confirm this.

This is the one thing we need to have fixed as soon as possible. 90% of the enemy’s attacks just go through my (well aimed) blocks. I stopped relying on them and began to just range my enemys out. But to be honest: I miss the sound of clinking steel… as well of course as the working block-system of the release-chivalry :(

Please, before going on to balancing we need this to be fixed.

• Just writing here to agree that blocking is still broken. I thought I was the only one having trouble blocking 1 handers. I was afraid to make a thread because of ‘noob! learn to play the game! you gotta turn more to block you noob!’ posts.

• you guys are crazy, must be only you. I can block damn near everything now except for lookdown overhands in facehug range. Maybe you have ping issues.

• @clayton-bigsby:

you guys are crazy, must be only you. I can block damn near everything now except for lookdown overhands in facehug range. Maybe you have ping issues.

No.

• One thing that is really annoying: stabs around your parry, because the defender does not see what is actually happening.

Attacker screen: You run towards someone, do a small turn to the left/right and stab someone around his parry and get a hit. Totally fine.

Defender screen: Someone runs up to you and stabs you THROUGH your block.

This has to be so frustrating for anyone who has not sunk hundreds of hours into this game (read 98% of the players). You don’t get what is happening as defender(if you don’t know that this shit exists), because it is not displayed to you. Of course blocks seem broken that way. But think about it: how often have YOU actually hit someone through his parry/block? Not even close as often as you are hit through your parry/block. Because you don’t see what is actually happening. I hit very very rarely someone through his block. Being hit through my parry is quite frequent though.

Something has to be changed here. I can’t be that the defender is the one who has to guess what the attacker is actually doing. Not being able to see what is actually happening to you is super frustrating.

• @clayton-bigsby:

you guys are crazy, must be only you. I can block damn near everything now except for lookdown overhands in facehug range. Maybe you have ping issues.

I’ll post a video soon. It really is still broken.

I was testing the 1hander sideswings. You have to turn about 90 degrees to your side, to the point where you can’t see the enemy anymore, in order to block. This is worse than before.

• @man:

@clayton-bigsby:

I’ll post a video soon. It really is still broken.

I was testing the 1hander sideswings. You have to turn about 90 degrees to your side, to the point where you can’t see the enemy anymore, in order to block. This is worse than before.

i could be wrong but… yeah i’d like to see the video. I’ve streamed a number of TO matches since the patch… just watch me parry lol i already have video footy

• @Falc:

One thing that is really annoying: stabs around your parry, because the defender does not see what is actually happening.

Attacker screen: You run towards someone, do a small turn to the left/right and stab someone around his parry and get a hit. Totally fine.

This has to be so frustrating for anyone who has not sunk hundreds of hours into this game (read 98% of the players). You don’t get what is happening as defender(if you don’t know that this shit exists), because it is not displayed to you. Of course blocks seem broken that way. But think about it: how often have YOU actually hit someone through his parry/block? Not even close as often as you are hit through your parry/block. Because you don’t see what is actually happening. I hit very very rarely someone through his block. Being hit through my parry is quite frequent though.

Something has to be changed here. I can’t be that the defender is the one who has to guess what the attacker is actually doing. Not being able to see what is actually happening to you is super frustrating.

Agree, the sooner the better this particular issue is resolved.

• Blocking seems fine for me, only goes trough parry when i actually made a mistake or it was holy water/hatchet facehug alt swing.

• @Falc:

One thing that is really annoying: stabs around your parry, because the defender does not see what is actually happening.

I think this pretty much sums it up. People keep saying block is broken… that is kinda true. At the end of the day, people are just hitting around your block… but it’s hard for you 2 see that as a defender. You need to turn more. It doesn’t seem that way on your screen, but if you turn more to face the attack, you will block it. If you couldnt get past blocks it would be stupid for the attacker. The real problem is facehugging, because the attack hits the players back. You need to give people tools (kick) to get facehuggers away… and make it so that damage is correlated to the part of the swing (i.e. less damage at the beginning and end of an attack)

• Same as crushed, this really looks fine actually, if i get hit, it is because i make a mistake 95% of the time really, so when i see that

90% of the enemy’s attacks just go through my (well aimed) blocks

this is just ridiculous really, you can’t have this rate of failing and blame the game…

• yea most people who complain about attacks going through blocks, just missed their block. It says it in the tuitorial… you need to block the tip of the weapon. When someone is strafing you, the tip of the weapon is going to be quite far off… turn to meet it and stop complaining that your own failure is the game.

• ^^

• To win at this game you shouldn’t be parrying at all.

• I like how people are actually defending parries. I posted a video a while back showing you can look in the opposite direction to parry and block people behind you even and yet some attacks when you parry in the right direction still get through. But hey what do I know, the casuals say everything is fine, so it must be fine right!

• This game does attract a specific kind of player. (The scrub that wants to feel like he is skilled)

And the forums attract a specific kind of poster. (The retard contrarian)

• Hm, interesting, to me it seems that the parries work the best in history. That doesn’t mean it’s perfect but my impression is it is much better than before. At least now I believe I can identify the issues with parrying and there only seem to be 2 of them:

1. Stabs sometimes go through parries. I suspect it is a latency issue because to me it happens only with a very fast weapons, i.e. some of the 1handed and from the 2handed only with the SoW something-stab combo (or riposte) which is ridiculously fast.
      “It’s necessary to parry faster” some people will point out as an obvious solution but of course it will be the very same people that tell you “it’s necessary to parry at the last possible moment” when you get killed by feints… I believe it’s an inherent and insoluble problem with the game’s combat system.

2. Swings getting around parries. I am convinced that the problem lies with the fact that hands wielding a weapon do not have tracers and while clipping through parry hitbox they allow the weapon to get around it. Of course the obvious solution would be to introduce a special tracer for the hands and if it hits the parry box, the attacker gets hurt like IRL. I thought this solution may be a little bit too brutal so I proposed another one but it didn’t get much attention nor praise.

• @CRUSHED:

Blocking seems fine for me, only goes trough parry when i actually made a mistake or it was holy water/hatchet facehug alt swing.

I had trouble with the 1hand alt swing mostly. Is there a bug or something or broken?

@Mystikkal:

When someone is strafing you, the tip of the weapon is going to be quite far off… turn to meet it and stop complaining that your own failure is the game.

The problem is, you don’t know if they are strafing you or not. You can’t tell from a defender’s point of view.

• Blocking is fine.

Refer to my troubleshooting list below:

1: Aim your block better.
    2: Unless you have low ping (MAXIMUM 50 ping), you cannot block reactively. For best results, play LAN.
    3: Alt swing animation bug probably is whats making it look like your block is failing (which is now FIXED, and no longer happens).
    4: Shield clipping bug at facehug (FIXED, no longer happens).

You’re welcome.