Good setups for shield knights?

• I’m been trying sow with kite lately. It’s somewhat effective in a enclosed line battle with it’s stabs.

• So… What’s your point? SoW with a kite shield is a pretty good setup.

• @Matti:

So… What’s your point? SoW with a kite shield is a pretty good setup.

I’m asking what setups work well as shield knight obviously.
    Don’t post if you have nothing useful to say.

• I think he/she is asking what you want as a response, feedback on your setup or suggestions on other setups?

Or maybe this might be better suited a question for Tactics and Tutorials and not General Discussion.

Otherwise I would go with a secondary weapon with the shield to maximize speed and defense, preferably broadsword or flanged mace.

• You should probably just go into battle wielding only your fists.

• Try using a secondary with the shield. They are faster, more reliable, but harder to master. Albeit difficult, they are very rewarding as they can get past blocks easily with the use of strafing and alternate attacks. The norse sword is one of the fastest and longest secondaries which is why it is a personal favourite.

• kite shield + flanged mace
    kite shield + holy water sprinkler
    buckler + falchion

these are the best shield setups

• Sword of War is a really good choice. One handed, it has decent speed, great combo times and a surprising amount of range which is often underestimated - offensive/unexpected play can often get you a first hit even against the long-range Vanguard weapons.
    It is a great stabbing weapon, which makes it really good to use in team environments since you can safely fight side by side with your allies without much danger of hitting them.
    The damage is decent, as it can reliably two-hit Archers and Men at Arms and also nearly two-hit Vanguards (two stabs and a kick/bash).

However, against Knights you´ll need at least four hits, which can take some time.
    Also, the SoW has a weak slash attack which means it is not that good at covering ground, which would come in handy against evasive opponents. Two one-handed slashes won´t even kill a Man at Arms.

As a secondary, I recommend a weapon with opposite strengths - a tool that is really fast, short and has a high swing damage. One you can use to fight in enclosed areas, get in someone´s flank and catch speedy opponents that dance around you with your quick, wide swings.

I recommend either the Flanged Mace or the Falchion.

Both will reliably three-hit knights if you want to kill one fast. The Mace has a sneaky, underestimated stab and seems to be better against Vanguards as it two-shots them more frequently. However, Men at Arms will often need three hits to kill since they got increased blunt resistance.
    The Falchion´s stab isn´t as mean, but the weapon is just as good against Knights and slightly worse against Vanguards as you will need three hits to kill them more often.
    However, the SoW is already pretty good against Vanguards, so there is not much need to have a secondary suited for that. Especially since good Vanguards will try to keep distance and stay out of your range, not so much get around your sides - in which case the longer SoW is usually the better choice.
    (Good) Men at Arms are usually the dodgy ones you want to catch with a fast, room-covering swing and kill with as few hits as possible. The Falchion will two-hit them almost always, which is why I currently prefer it as a secondary.

Against good Archers I also recommend to get out a fast secondary to keep up with their extremely fast attacks which are aimed to interrupt you. This won´t happen as much with a fast secondary, and they are not going to out-range you in melee anyways. You can go for hit-trades if needed.
    Besides being fast, there is not much else a weapon in this case needs to have, as pretty much any one-hander a Knight has kills them in two hits.

Also, I use Kite Shield ever since. Good overall protection, can be combined with ducking etc. and has a decent recovery time. A Tower Shield will not only block your vision more, but it is also slower to raise and to attack after getting hit. If you are unlucky, an aggressive enemy can just pound at your shield and if you try to strike back, you will at least get hit, maybe even interrupted. I don’t see much room for the Tower Shield besides super heavy Archer protection or a shield wall for the King in TO, as it limits your options to counter-attack quite noticeably.

• SoW is good, but only really damaging with it’s pokes because of the reach over secondaries but the slashes and such don’t do that much damage. Taking on a crowd can be difficult. As Matti said trying out secondaries with shields is probably more preferable. If you want to do some damage, check out the messer with the shield lol… if you see a large group coming, id rather combo around with my primary so i would switch out in these cases.

I’m not a very good shield guy though so i’m probably not the best to comment on such things. I think you have to either go for speed, reach… or sheet damage, and the messer is a good one for damage, just don’t use the pokes unless you have to. Noone really shields with messer that much, i may try that out more often, cuz messer is also a beasty 2 hander

• Longsword + Shield is actually about as fast as the Sword of War (Sword of War is slightly faster in release), only 5 damage less on the stab, and 15 more damage on the overhead, which puts its overhead on par with the Sword of War 1handed stab against knights and makes it an overall better comboing weapon. It also has the reach advantage which matters even more with a shield.

Morning Star is my favorite weapon to use with a knight shield, though. Norse with buckler can be lethal as well due to the speed of your counterattacks.

• I always go kite shield + sword of war, as you do. For a secondary weapon I use the norse sword. Since I mastered stabbing, I only use this setup haha :) In tighter areas or when fighting MAA and archers (or people with heavy, slow weapons) I pull up my norse sword. Sure, it doesn’t do too much damage, but stabs are so damn quick. Stabey-stabey-stab-stab!

Same thing with the sword of war - stabs and sometimes overheads. I also use the alt-slash a lot. It’s not the best damage dealer, but to get around a shield or someone expecting your stab attacks or against some MAA jumping all over, it’s good to slash to get them to become a bit more… defensive. Then you can start stabbing again, which is of course harder to aim. Maybe kick some, and as a last resort, feint some.

• vs multiple opponents: flanged mace, falch or longsword. Messer is incredibly underestimated it does nice damage even with a shield but its very hard to learn to use properly and your stabs will be useless.

In duels: same as above except I would only use longsword+shield vs man at arms opponents. Broadsword and norsesword is viable here as well, 1 more hit to kill a knight but the norse sword is super fast and the broadsword has incredible reach.

Holy watersprinkler can be quite insane if you adapt a rather abusive playstyle, but its a very weak all-around weapon and good players can counter it.

Sword of war I would stay away from if you plan on using it with a shield for reasons already mentioned in earlier posts. I would also stay away from morning star as a knight, its reach is nice but it is so slow and easy to parry so you’d have to rely way too much on feinting (and feints open you up to attacks from unchecked opponents before you can hit your intended target).

For me though the shield is situational, I only bring it out in certain circumstances even when using secondaries.

• I generally go kite shield with SoW and flanged mace. Mace is great vs. Knights, SoW is good against everyone else (although mace is good too) pretty much for all the reasons outlined here (underestimated range, good stab that doesn’t hit team mates etc).
    @SlyGoat:

Longsword + Shield is actually about as fast as the Sword of War (Sword of War is slightly faster in release), only 5 damage less on the stab, and 15 more damage on the overhead, which puts its overhead on par with the Sword of War 1handed stab against knights and makes it an overall better comboing weapon. It also has the reach advantage which matters even more with a shield.

Morning Star is my favorite weapon to use with a knight shield, though. Norse with buckler can be lethal as well due to the speed of your counterattacks.

Yeah what’s with this? Seems the SoW got nerfed when one handed. However it does feel just that bit faster where it counts (stab) maybe its my imagination.

• Imo - I desperately want to love the primary swords 1h, but the truth is that there just isnt much reason to pick any of them over the secondaries - absolutely all the secondaries are great: broadsword, flanged mace, Star, HWS, Falch, Norse sword.

Maybe its just playstyle but I’d never take a slow, weak (blow for blow) 1h wep with a bit of reach over a quick, powerful one with much shorter reach - way out of kilter with my preference, and im sure it must just be like that for many.