Mouse and Keyboard Vs. Controller

• What do most people use? It seems that the mouse and keyboard set up is preferred over controllers.

I use my 360 controller and wonder if anyone has any good keybindings for it… right now I can’t really use alt swings because I don’t know of a good way of key binding them. Any suggestions from the controller users out there?

• Isn’t the precision of a mouse far too superior to give up? Since aiming is very important in this game, I thought a mouse would be better 10 times out of 10. With a controller, if your sensitivity is too low, you might not be able to turn to parry a strike in time. If its too high, turning a small amount, (like aiming a stab when your strike would miss by a hair if you didn’t) can be difficult.

This is just my 2 cents, and I’ve never been very good with controllers anyway.

• i would always prefer in first person to use mouse and keyboard. the only games i wouldn’t are like… potentially 3rd person games (in wchih i’d stil use m+k) or like racing games, adventure games… etc etc. Stategy games def better w/ mouse+k… most things are better with mouse + keyboard.

However… there is one guy who i never see play anymore that was an excellent duelist… and he used controller… i myself couldn’t believe it but it is possible to be very skilled with a controller. Comes down to what you’re comfortable with, but for me in this game… m+k all the way.

• controllers are just not fast or accurate enough for most pc games. which is why most console games have “aim assist” (otherwise known as an aimbot) to help players hit anything.
    if you want to be a half decent player, dump the controller and stick with the m+k combo.

• I use the Xbox Kinect and use a lightsaber as my weapon. I shall swing away and break many things in my house just for the chance to slice off your head.

I’ve always used mouse and keyboard for PC games, so I think I’ll continue to do so.

• I’m going with the lightsaber set up for sure.

I’ve never been much of a PC gamer until lately so I don’t have much experience with M+K, I did try it and I hated it. I guess I have to give it another shot.

• There is a certain Pterodactyl on Aussie servers who has some genuine skill and experimented with a controller. IMO he did pretty well with it in his first day of testing, but he wasn’t so happy at that time. But i haven’t bumped into him since so i don’t know if he persisted with the controller or not.

• Platformers work very well with a PC controller.
    First person games mouse all the way imho.

• @DDR:

Platformers work very well with a PC controller.
    First person games mouse all the way imho.

This is my opinion also, but this Pterodactyl is pretty good with a controller, you wouldn’t know he was using one thats for sure.

• I play lots of games with a 360 controller to reduce RSI. I am happy with the generally flawless controller support in modern games. It gives me an alternative when my wrist starts hurting from too many hours of gaming.

Oddly playing chivalry does not hurt my wrist as much as a normal FPS does. In any case, I wouldn’t even dream of playing it with a controller.

• I experimented with M+K last night then went back to controller, and I was actually better with the M+K although I have almost 0 experience with it. It was sooo much easier to block when strikes were coming from different directions.

• I use mouse and keyboard but I use the Razer Nostromo Gaming Keypad, which is much more ergonomic and doesn’t hurt my wrist. I also have a evoluent vertical mouse for the same reason.

It’s so nice to have ergonomic equipment but have the accuracy and speed of keyboard and mouse, as well as having those extra buttons to bind to alt-slash, alt-overhead, kick etc.

• @Dr:

I use mouse and keyboard but I use the Razer Nostromo Gaming Keypad, which is much more ergonomic and doesn’t hurt my wrist. I also have a evoluent vertical mouse for the same reason.

god i want to try a nostromo out so bad, but i don’t know if i want to put the money in… i wish they could put mechanical keys on the damn thing… because i’m getting a new mech keyboard very soon, and it’d such to have a perfectly good mech keyboard, then use that thing which i think has rubber domes.

My friend told me to look into vertical mice, but i dont think i will because they just look like it would be awkward, and i may not have the buttons or precision i get out of my current mouse :(

• I was unsure about the Nostromo but once I got it and spent one night of frustration having to readjust I’ve never looked back. It has some extra buttons, I have a thumb button for alt slash and another for alt-overhead. It also has a dedicated Mouse 3 (the button usually pushed by pressing the mouse wheel) which I use for kick/shield bash.

If you want mechanical check out the Orbweaver

• @Dr:

I was unsure about the Nostromo but once I got it and spent one night of frustration having to readjust I’ve never looked back. It has some extra buttons, I have a thumb button for alt slash and another for alt-overhead. It also has a dedicated Mouse 3 (the button usually pushed by pressing the mouse wheel) which I use for kick/shield bash.

the mech i’m gonna get is the k70 (corsair)
    and my mouse has like a bunch of extra buttons, i have ones for alt over, alt slash, and maa dodge… i woudln’t want any of my attacks on my left hand, that would just discoordinate me

EDIT: ohh the orbweaver is one of those pads… not a full keyboard… but yeah i’m gonna get a full mech keyboard so ill probably be ok with that.

• I don’t have a problem with my keyboard hand. Only my mousing wrist gets irritated by stress after too many long gaming binges in a row.

I have a G9, but I’m replacing it with a G700s soon. Looking forward to having two extra buttons on the side (4 in total). I can use them for alt attacks and for weapon switching. Right now I have my mouse3 bound to bring up my primary weapon, 1 side button to switch to my tertiary weapon, and the other for alt slash.

• @clayton-bigsby:

@Dr z0b:

I was unsure about the Nostromo but once I got it and spent one night of frustration having to readjust I’ve never looked back. It has some extra buttons, I have a thumb button for alt slash and another for alt-overhead. It also has a dedicated Mouse 3 (the button usually pushed by pressing the mouse wheel) which I use for kick/shield bash.

the mech i’m gonna get is the k70 (corsair)
    and my mouse has like a bunch of extra buttons, i have ones for alt over, alt slash, and maa dodge… i woudln’t want any of my attacks on my left hand, that would just discoordinate me

EDIT: ohh the orbweaver is one of those pads… not a full keyboard… but yeah i’m gonna get a full mech keyboard so ill probably be ok with that.

Oops I messed up. I meant the evoluent mouse has extra buttons, that’s where I have my Alt-slash etc.

• Hey man! I use an Xbox 360 Controller to play Chivalry. About 300 hours in and I only use the mouse when I’m using a ballista haha. My set-up may seem very odd to you, but it works very well for me so Ill tell you how I play(even able to do alt swings!).

Most buttons I’ve kept the same (ie RT: Swing, RB: Overhead and LB: Thrust), however I use my index finger to press the A, B, X and Y buttons so that I can have fingers available to hit ALL buttons without sacrificing a thumb(for looking around) to press said buttons. I main the MAA and use the ‘A’ button to not only jump(while sprinting) but it is also my one button dodge when I’m not sprinting, for other classes ‘A’ is only jump. My ‘X’ button is the busiest button I have, I use it to activate things(ie. use catapult, refill ammo), holding it allows me to use alternative attacks which I’m able to accomplish quite well, and finally when I actually play an archer, I use it to reload crossbows. I use ‘B’ to feint and to only feint. I’m actually not bad at the game and usually always do quite well. Everything else is already mapped to my liking(just plugged in and they’re set). Also, I usually play in third person, but I actually think I play better when I use first, I just like the way the game looks from third person.

Here is a picture I took of how I hold my controller, to give you all ideas I know you’re probably trying to imagine.

• That is wrong on so many levels.

• @dudeface:

That is wrong on so many levels.

Lol ;p