Things I Hate/ Things I Love

• Here’s a short list of things I hate in Chivalry…

Sword of War

This thing needs a hit with a nerf bat… Like the damn halberd before CU1 patch OP… Kill this thing now!

Polearms Lookdown Overheads

I am pretty sure these kinds of attacks were not meant to be in the game… Something needs to be done about these things. Normal swings are whatever, but the accelerated attacks are obnoxious.

Feints

Yes, we all know about feints and the huge “discussion” about them… I hate them and I am entitled to whatever opinion I wish to have on the matter.

Dancing

This running around in circles flailing your weapon around garbage is completely moronic and ruins any kind of immersion or even a will to fight such people. I feel this tactic should somehow be eliminated entirely.

Bugs/Glitches

I understand Torn Banner is working hard on fixing this stuff, I appreciate their effort. Regardless of the effort being put into the issue, it’s very irritating to die to a bug or glitch.

Citadel

The map is beautiful, don’t get me wrong… I just hate playing in it. Everything feels so tedious and un-fun.

Here are a few things I love in Chivalry:

The maul

I love the maul and all its pancake making goodness. Best weapon ever.

The new head explosion effect for head punches

As if fists couldn’t get any better, they add explosions when headshotted. Falcon punch explode = best attack ever?

Steel clashing intense fights

When I clash swords with someone repeatedly and the tempo of the fight is very fast, my heart pounds and I love it! Some of the most satifying fights are ones without feinting and repeated counter attacks (in my opinion)

F10

F10 is so much fun! It looks amazing (especially in low grav/slow mo) Always makes me laugh!

Voice commands

Is there anyone who dislikes the voice commands? They’re so awesome and fit the game perfectly!

• Developer

Thanks slaughtervomit, this is an awesome way to give feedback and helps us remember the priorities without making us cry :). We’re working on getting patch 2 out to you guys as soon as we can which should fix a lot of the nagging issues you’ve mentioned.

• I agree with everything you said slaughtervomit. +1 Really the only other things I hate\love including what your list is slaughtervomit I would say I hate the new weapons and what there balance in right now. What I love is the fact that their is NO other game out their like this one. Love it! Oh, one more thing that I don’t like much is that their’s no damage location for weapons, so if you hit a guy with the handle of your weapon it does the same damage as when you hit with the blade or end.

• Nailed it… I hate those dancing spammers, they run around in circles killing everyone with luck and their long reach weapons… I can’t deny its effective but it ruins the fun that you’re trying hard to out skill your opponent then bam! he got you with a lucky shot just like that. It’s annoying and frustrating at the same time.

• Pretty much agree with everything Slaughter, just want to get your opinion on two things:

With the dancing, do you mean when people attack, 180, sprint away then circle back mid swing and spin everywhere jumping, fighting like a lunatic? If so I definitely agree, and hate it too.
    But do you have an issue with people like me who circle their opponent, trying to sort of wrap around them while attack them? I find it very useful to disorientate the enemy and cut them down.

Also with the SOW, are your issues with the speed of the stab/stab combo?
    I know the only issue I have with it, is the animation is out of sync with the stabs, so I get hit at least .2-.3 before the windup has even completed. Otherwise the sword seems alright.

• SOW beats the maul unless your up against a complete idiot. The claymore is actually stats wise better. Longer and a bit more damaging. Only 0.05 seconds slower or equal. More deadly than the SOW in the right hands. Combined with mouse dragging that 0.05 seconds speed difference is nothing.

Here are two kinds of runners

Kiters: runs away from you winds up spins round and gets you.

Dancers: these guys work well against mass groups. No regard for team mates usually.

Kiters are beaten by standing still. And if you have a long enough weapon or you are an MAA you rush towards them as they swing and stab them in the face.

Dancers are harder. Generally blocking them once stops them running. Kicking them works well but only if you can hit them without you getting killed. Or you just kill it with fire.

• Yep! We need more feedback like this. The pros and cons. Not just all bad, not just all good. But a bit of both!

So thanks! :)

• Sword of War
    SoW is particularly OP with combo feints and the counter thrust is ridiculous. However you’re a Maul user (certainly one of the most powerful weapons) and its slowness probably means it’s hard to fight the SoW.

My problem with the SoW is why is it so nerfed when wielded one handed compared to the Longsword?

Polearms Lookdown Overheads
    I don’t find them that bad unless they are crouching and looking down already and there’s no windup. Generally not bothered that much though.

Feints
    I like feints. I didn’t to begin with but I’ve adapted now (helps that I have a shield). They probably need some adjustment as per the proposed changes in the Beta.

Dancing
    Totally agree!! I’ve actually got much better at fighting kiters now but they do ruin immersion for me. It’s particularly annoying when they don’t fight anyone in a fair fight but constantly look for cheap easy kills and move on. I imagine medieval warriors facing each other and fighting

Bugs/Glitches
    I think TB have shown they’re on the right path to fixing these.

Citadel
    I have a fair amount of fun on this map now and we definitely need more maps not less. However I do think the fantasy vibe is a bit inappropriate. I much prefer the authentic medieval feel of Darkforrest or Stoneshill. It certainly seems hard to defend now though. At least if the king hides near one of the spawns rather than near the throne it’s actually possible to defend.

The maul
    I’ve had a lot of fun with it and occasionally gone on some crazy rampages, but not my weapon of choice.

The new head explosion effect for head punches
    I actually dislike fists as they’re a bit OP and again immersion breaking. How can someone punch my shield and not hurt themselves?

Steel clashing intense fights
    Yeah this is why we play Chivalry! It’s also why people kiting around not getting into any face to face fights is frustrating.

F10 Meh…

Voice commands
    Genius.

• I am really suprised in a good way about the responses in this thread! Thanks everyone!

To clarify about some things:

I meant kiters, not dancers, sorry!

I mostly meant in general with the SoW hate… Like if say I use longsword or greatsword (my swords of choice) and the combo to stab speed… I just feel its speed for stab is very fast like a big dagger. I think maybe there is a bit of desync or something… I’ve really only recently ran into lots of SoW to realize the OPness…

Another thing I wanted to mention I dislike is votekick abusers. Particularly the ones that are simply sore losers. I know that’s not an issue that can be solved with code or patches mostly because it is personal choices players make.

• You have expressed all my thoughts perfectly.
    Weapon location damage is the most important thing for me change wise, getting sick and tried of being hit by the handle of a bardiche and receiving full damage.

The chat menu is the greatest thing ever, I just want more and more! Like a crack addict given free samples.
    Another real positive for me is that lovely feeling I get from jumping down on enemies from great heights with an overhead and killing them. The great risk but even greater reward of pulling it off is just magical.

• agree with all of your likes.

disagree with SoW nerf, disagree with dancing… that’s a good tactic imo and defendable. Agree with feints… agree with lookdown overs (theres an animation problem and insta-hits) however i do like accelerated swings. as long as it’s not insta lookdown over.

• i’ve been using the longsword lately, and no-feint duels. Haven;'t made a video on youtube in a bit… but you can check out my twitch channel for some updated gameplay… but i know you won’t. Don’t be mad at me, at one point i was just doing what everyone else was… I can also play with the spear pretty well, zwei, broadsword or dane maa, etc. You don’t know how i play because you’ve watched some videos. What about my no feint or parry duels… you think you could play without the ability to block? and win? yep i thought not

and i never SPAM feint…

• @clayton-bigsby:

i’ve been using the longsword lately, and no-feint duels. Haven;'t made a video on youtube in a bit… but you can check out my twitch channel for some updated gameplay… but i know you won’t. Don’t be mad at me, at one point i was just doing what everyone else was… I can also play with the spear pretty well, zwei, broadsword or dane maa, etc. You don’t know how i play because you’ve watched some videos. What about my no feint or parry duels… you think you could play without the ability to block? and win? yep i thought not

and i never SPAM feint…

I’m not mad at you. I just think you’re a plague infecting every thread on the forums spreading diseased bullshit in your posts. Constantly sucking your own shlangabang.

• Ladies, please.

Things I like about chivalry.

“yesss…. AYEEEEE… yeeeeeeeessssss. YEEEEEEEEEEEEES… AYEEE… YESSSSSSSS…”

Things I hate about chivalry.

The strange omission of arrows sticking out of bodies when shot. If I’m going to get shot to bits by feckin archer swines, I at least want to look like a hero. And I also want to approach the archer swines screaming “YEEEEEES, YEEEEEEEES, AYYYYEEEEE, YESSSSSSS” with arrows sticking out of my deranged, pain loving body as I prepare to punish them, and that this is not the case displeases me.

• @clayton-bigsby:

agree with all of your likes.

disagree with SoW nerf, disagree with dancing… that’s a good tactic imo and defendable. Agree with feints… agree with lookdown overs (theres an animation problem and insta-hits) however i do like accelerated swings. as long as it’s not insta lookdown over.

Yeah I actually meant kiting, not dancing. Sorry for the confusion.

Kinda weird seeing you speak against feinting now hehe… I’m still on the anti-feint side a bit, but somewhat less than “REMOVE THEM COMPLETELY RAWRAWRAWRAWR!” I still feel they’re cheap, but I don’t feel removing them is a good thing either.

I also feel accelrated/decelerated attacks are a great thing, but when it’s overboard like polearms, I feel a hefty change is needed.

• I have to question why you’d want a SoW nerf. The balance between the SoW and Longsword is undoubtedly one of the best and closest balance differences in the game within categories. If you nerf the SoW, you’d have to nerf the Longsword otherwise the Longsword becomes a complete no-brainer (and I certainly don’t agree with any nerfs to any of these 2h swords anyway when other more ‘balance-needing’ weapons like the Grand Mace, Bearded Axe and Bardiche are rearing their ugly heads too much). Pretty much all the top Knights in the EU scene choose the Longsword over the SoW because of that small bit of extra range over the longer recoveries (which are mostly negated through combo feints anyway) and higher slash damage (works well with alt swings). SoW is more favourable for people who stab more, whereas Longsword is more favourable to people who overhead more, but all in all, they are practically interchangeable. The speed of the Longsword’s overhead is faster than the SoW’s stab also.

• @Martin:

I have to question why you’d want a SoW nerf. The balance between the SoW and Longsword is undoubtedly one of the best and closest balance differences in the game within categories. If you nerf the SoW, you’d have to nerf the Longsword otherwise the Longsword becomes a complete no-brainer (and I certainly don’t agree with any nerfs to any of these 2h swords anyway when other more ‘balance-needing’ weapons like the Grand Mace, Bearded Axe and Bardiche are rearing their ugly heads too much). Pretty much all the top Knights in the EU scene choose the Longsword over the SoW because of that small bit of extra range over the longer recoveries (which are mostly negated through combo feints anyway) and higher slash damage (works well with alt swings). SoW is more favourable for people who stab more, whereas Longsword is more favourable to people who overhead more, but all in all, they are practically interchangeable. The speed of the Longsword’s overhead is faster than the SoW’s stab also.

I agree that Bardiche and Bearded Axe are far more problematic than SoW, however that’s due to problems with lookdown overhead rather than stats. The only problem with the SoW is the parry-counter thrust time and combo feints.

Fix overhead lookdowns for certain weapons and combo feinting first, then look at damage and timing stats.

• Things I love:

• 80% of the games I play

• Killing people with torches

• Kicking people off bridges/buildings

• Classic duels

Things I hate:

• The ridiculous difficulty in keeping opponents at distance reducing the advantage of long weapons

• Any combination of fast 1h weapons and [feint spamming, face hugging, alt swings, lookdowns]

• MAA dodge distance + ability to dodge forward during windup, etc

• Blunt weapon stab damage

• Polearms (bardiche handle, lookdowns, etc)

• The rubbish duel gamemode interface (is it that hard to add a column for ping?)

• Relative weakness of smoke bombs (throw distance, duration, area of effect)

• Shortage of maps

• @Martin:

I have to question why you’d want a SoW nerf. The balance between the SoW and Longsword is undoubtedly one of the best and closest balance differences in the game within categories. If you nerf the SoW, you’d have to nerf the Longsword otherwise the Longsword becomes a complete no-brainer (and I certainly don’t agree with any nerfs to any of these 2h swords anyway when other more ‘balance-needing’ weapons like the Grand Mace, Bearded Axe and Bardiche are rearing their ugly heads too much). Pretty much all the top Knights in the EU scene choose the Longsword over the SoW because of that small bit of extra range over the longer recoveries (which are mostly negated through combo feints anyway) and higher slash damage (works well with alt swings). SoW is more favourable for people who stab more, whereas Longsword is more favourable to people who overhead more, but all in all, they are practically interchangeable. The speed of the Longsword’s overhead is faster than the SoW’s stab also.

I don’t really have a real suggestion to fixing SoW/Longsword I’m simply saying I hate the speed on stabs SoW… I love longswords, I love fighting against longswords… Longswords longswords Longswords, longswords.

• SOW needs a slight speed nerf. The stab over head combo is virtually unstoppable.
    I also believe there seems to be a problem with the parry - instant attack and the hit and delayed parry with several weapons.

I will discuss archers in an entire thread, But they need a huge melee or armor/health nerf.