Let the scene grow

• @NoVaLombardia:

Well find it for me please, so that I may do some research.

I tried to find it for you, with no succes. Guess it got deleted. It was quite a while ago, when chivalry was pretty much alive. Who knows, could happen again. But if you are really that interested, you could add shotbygun on steam, and ask him whatever you want, about that tournament. Maybe he still has some videos saved on his pc or can provide you a link to his account with videos.

• Iam the ex main maa at the Royal Knights, now iam also playing with Ky Wild in BB. I do not use superdodge for the sheer reason of how abusive it is, You may say it’s skill based, but dodging out of a stabbing billhook after feinted is not skilled, It’s plain out abusive. You haven’t been able to do superdodge in the older patches, just because it came in it should not be okay. Did you moonwalk? Was that okay to you? I guess it was.

Remove the superdodge, It is plain out stupid, the fact that a colddown after every dodge was added like 2 patches ago should be reason enough understanding multiple dodges instantly followed up is not fucking okay.

No hate on people using them, this is my personal opinion, but I will NEVER respect a maa I can tell intentionally using superdodge.

• I don’t think it’s really a problem of over-recruiting. I mean, sure, if you split the main clans in half and called them something else it would give the illusion of more competition, but you’d still be fighting the same people.

The real problem is that people don’t want to play competitively for whatever reason. Through recruiting efforts I have met plenty of skilled players who just don’t want to join a clan, either because they’d rather pubstomp or they feel the time investment would be too high or whatever other reason. If more players played competitively and got better in the teamplay aspect, there’d be more competition, it’s that simple. The ratio of competitive players to regular players is pretty decent in my opinion, the community is just small overall.

Get the game more popular and emphasize the competitive side and you’ll see more clans. We are just a niche game still that’s all.

• @RK:

Iam the ex main maa at the Royal Knights, now iam also playing with Ky Wild in BB. I do not use superdodge for the sheer reason of how abusive it is, You may say it’s skill based, but dodging out of a stabbing billhook after feinted is not skilled, It’s plain out abusive. You haven’t been able to do superdodge in the older patches, just because it came in it should not be okay.

Remove the superdodge, It is plain out stupid, the fact that a colddown after every dodge was added like 2 patches ago should be reason enough understanding multiple dodges instantly followed up is not fucking okay.

No hate on people using them, this is my personal opinion, but I will NEVER respect a maa I can tell intentionally using superdodge.

What are you talking about? You can only super-dodge forward, and only while attacking. And if you’re talking about double dodging, well, you’re taking twice the amount of stamina, which is even more taxing than feinting to parry, and still far less powerful.

Why on earth would you dodge twice backwards, instead of dodging to the side against a stabbing billhook? You realize they took the cooldown out, right? It’s called a patch. But for some reason, people don’t even adapt to intentional changes; they just whine about them.

Are you being serious right now? It sounds like you’re trolling me. There’s no way you aren’t trolling me.

Did you moonwalk? Was that okay to you? I guess it was.

Okay, this is what sold me; you’re definitely trolling me. Nobody thought this was okay. This was a flat out broken BUG that people trolled with in pub games because it was funny. Nobody used this in scrims, ever.

@ameleke:

I tried to find it for you, with no succes. Guess it got deleted. It was quite a while ago, when chivalry was pretty much alive.

shucks. I pretty much started playing in january after duel mode got put in. Was a wee rank 4. Did nothing but duel mode until like rank 30, lol.

• @Daiyuki:

The real problem is that people don’t want to play competitively for whatever reason. Through recruiting efforts I have met plenty of skilled players who just don’t want to join a clan, either because they’d rather pubstomp or they feel the time investment would be too high or whatever other reason.

I think most people play when they can and cannot commit to a schedule demanded by a clan, clan matches etc.

The last 1v1 competition was spread over multiple weekends which killed me, I played the first weekend but was busy the next.

• Why would they remove the cooldown for dodge intentionally?

• @gregcau:

I think most people play when they can and cannot commit to a schedule demanded by a clan, clan matches etc.

that completely depends on the clan. TBH, this game does not need scheduled events and practices by any means. Faucheur is basically just a group of people on a friend’s list. We have a teamspeak for people hang out in, and when someone says, “Scrim time?” people are like “YEAH LET"S FIND A SCRIM!”

Matchmaking would solve that problem, because then people would just get a few friends and hit up the queues. No need for a clan to schedule things; it’s too much work. People would just rather click a button and be done with it, even I would prefer it that way; i’d imagine everyone would.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@gregcau:

that completely depends on the clan. TBH, this game does not need scheduled events and practices by any means. Faucheur is basically just a group of people on a friend’s list. We have a teamspeak for people hang out in, and when someone says, “Scrim time?” people are like “YEAH LET"S FIND A SCRIM!”

Matchmaking would solve that problem, because then people would just get a few friends and hit up the queues. No need for a clan to schedule things; it’s too much work. People would just rather click a button and be done with it, even I would prefer it that way; i’d imagine everyone would.

Sounds fine.

The other problem with the whole clan scene is that clan people take it too seriously and they will do anything to win, anything to be at the top of the leaderboard.

I don’t know, maybe I am getting old, I play for fun and my biggest enjoyment is actually when the whole server is having fun, the matches are close, nobody is dominating the TO match etc.

I’ve played enough hours to know when someone is exploiting a weapon with tracer issues, or a bug like the alt-bug, its pretty apparent that these people are just out to dominate to everyone elses detriment.

Obviously not all clans are like that, there are many decent people that like to play fair.

Personally I rarely use feints unless it becomes an attack-parry match, then I am like fine time to wrap up and use a feint. I like more subtle attacks like slowing down a swing.

Anyway as I said before the whole clan scene I think is not a good business model for a non shooter FPS.

• @gregcau:

Anyway as I said before the whole clan scene I think is not a good business model for a non shooter FPS.

The clan scene is community-made. Devs have no control over what the community does outside of the game. There is no ‘business model’ for a clan scene.

• Haha trolling you? Combo-dodge (doubledodge) with the new setup is pure bullshit since it lacks the CD by MISSTAKE(NOTBUFFED,BUGGED)

Spamming V to magically do 4 dodges in a second appearing behind a shielduser, or do a vicious combo of attacks whilst dancing around your oponent in an insane speed is bullshit

As it being staminadraining, yeah it fucks is but so is feinting and has far less successrate then actually dodging magically behind your oponent, it’s insanely broken and you can dodge faster then a swing hunts you, I mean you can outdodge a goddamn alt-slash with this.

“trolling you” nah, I just refered to “superdodge” as the combododge, since I find it just another way of superdodging, by that meaning saying that it’s bullshit to dodge like that lol.

It’s like saying release 1, when feints had no cd and you used a brandistock, holding it in with feints untill the enemy basically could hold on anymore was legit. IT’S LEGIT CUZ IT DRAINS STAM HURRDURR.

We are supposed to discuss patches and balancefixes as even the all-glorious developers can make misstakes, and by accident create an exploit, wich we all have seen TB being able to do.

Trolling you? Im calling bullshit on the 0.4 SEC CD DODGE, BEING ABLE TO BYPASS THE DODGE COLDDOWN BY USING A BROKEN BINDING (ORIGINAL V) TO DODGE FASTER THEN BALANCE SAYS IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO. TRY USING DOUBLETAP WITH MAX INPUT, IT WAS NOT BROKEN IN THE PATCH, AND YOU WILL NOW SEE HOW FAST YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DODGE.

• Remove dodge and all the problems associated with it will be solved.

• @NoVaLombardia:

And if you’re talking about double dodging, well, you’re taking twice the amount of stamina, which is even more taxing than feinting to parry, and still far less powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLVpVKMB1rE

This method drained twice as much stamina aswell, but I’m sure this dirty trick wasn’t abusive at all.

• @wildwulfy:

Remove dodge and all the problems associated with it will be solved.

Uninstall Chivalry and every problem in the entire game would be solved.

• @NabsterHax:

@wildwulfy:

Remove dodge and all the problems associated with it will be solved.

Uninstall Chivalry and every problem in the entire game would be solved.

^

• There are a couple of problems with this scene: 1. People don’t really want to create their own clans and join existing clans instead 2. Even good/average clans recruite noobs just to have more members 3. The scene is very static and inorganic (people stay in their clans the whole time; there is no real exchange or “player-trading”) 4. Most clans don’t even try to improve and rather play against clans from their own skill-level.

• @kywild:

And the most obvious exploits today that completely ruin matches are maa superdodges and the counterattack parry where you’re basically invulnerable during the first half of the counterstrike, its completely balance changing and it’s not something anyone does by mistake. If people use these above glitches, tell them to stop, record it and put it on youtube. Do SOMETHING instead of just sit there quiet because you don’t want drama between your clans.

Indeed everybody is using this “invulnerable counter exploit” because it makes it everytime you launch a counterstab. It’s more like your weapon continues to block a little bit during the counterstab animation. If you aim quickly a incoming attack with your counter you can block it. It works everytime with the counterstab but the second attack which is parried with the counter must come directly after the attack you blocked before.

This bug worked from the beginning of the game. I saw it when i tested the old and fixed shield spam glitch : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dETfCw2Amwk
    When i tried that against a 2 hander who used a counterstab after the first parry, i never managed to hit him during the counter even if my second attack was a way faster than the counter : simply because it was automatically blocked by the counterstab.

So yes you can’t do it by mistake because it happens everytime ;)

1. Topic is not about superdodges or riposte exploits (though, only because Nova mentioned us, I only know of F actually supporting the superdodge in the NA scene and know for a fact there are others that view it as an exploit. But that is neither here nor there :D)

2. What the scene needs is a universal competitive mode which unfortunately it is lacking. TO takes a long time and the NA scene dislikes playing smaller format TO’s. Meanwhile, those larger formats that these people want are very difficult to get people for and is quite restricting on new teams. Meanwhile, LTS often devolves into prolonged archer duels on all but a few maps and gives no incentive for either team to aggress. We need either people to support a 5v5 or 6v6 TO or we need an objective incentive for aggression in LTS. EU seems happy with its smaller scale TO’s but plenty of the clans in NA aren’t (though 6v6 seems to garner more support than 5v5, but 5v5 is perhaps the size most conducive to comp play for games)

3. After that, balance decisions can be made. Right now what is strong in a 5v5 is very different from what is strong in an 8v8 so we have to decide what we’re going to balance comp play around.

4. We need to link casual players to this competitive mode. Even things as simple as a message of the day on servers to advertise comp events/organizations would help, but ideally matchmaking or in client access to competitive information are what we’d need. Something so that people’s only experience of high level play for the most part is duel servers that are much less balanced and a lot more heavily affected by bugs.

5. Recruiting lots of members is fine as long as they can function as an autonomous team rather than solely as an endless pool of subs. Would like to encourage clans to try to get all their members active in scrims as it really is the most fun way to play the game. Even if the members are weak, there have to be weaker teams at first in the scene for them to grow into stronger teams.

• @HeightofAbsurdity:

1. Topic is not about superdodges or riposte exploits

Agreed. I only gave examples at first, because someone brought up exploiting game mechanics is the sole factor that is ruining the competitive scene; which it is not, by any means. Unfortunately, this is still a heated subject for whatever reason.

Staying on topic must definitely happen for this thread.

EU seems happy with its smaller scale TO’s but plenty of the clans in NA aren’t (though 6v6 seems to garner more support than 5v5, but 5v5 is perhaps the size most conducive to comp play for games)

Stupid americans! I know our clan is split up between that. But I know our main team fully supports 5v5 TO; I wish more did =/

1. After that, balance decisions can be made. Right now what is strong in a 5v5 is very different from what is strong in an 8v8 so we have to decide what we’re going to balance comp play around.

The most obvious issue is 4 knights reigning supreme in 8v8’s If you don’t have 4 knights, you’re basically as good as dead. Though I’ve been thinking of a wild an crazy idea to counter 4 knights that I still need to test. It can still be tested in a 6v6 though against 3 knights.

1. We need to link casual players to this competitive mode. Even things as simple as a message of the day on servers to advertise comp events/organizations would help, but ideally matchmaking or in client access to competitive information are what we’d need. Something so that people’s only experience of high level play for the most part is duel servers that are much less balanced and a lot more heavily affected by bugs.

It’s all about accessibility. Like you said, just a simple splash page in the main screen of chiv, while you’re browsing servers is the simplest way to get it out there. Information has to be available where people are looking the most. People aren’t going to be actively searching for forums. When I advertised my duel tournament in random servers. 80% of the people asked, “What chivalry forums?”

…nuff said.

1. Recruiting lots of members is fine as long as they can function as an autonomous team rather than solely as an endless pool of subs. Would like to encourage clans to try to get all their members active in scrims as it really is the most fun way to play the game. Even if the members are weak, there have to be weaker teams at first in the scene for them to grow into stronger teams.

Couldn’t agree more. We have 2 or 3 teams in faucheur. The weaker teams are self-organized and encouraged to play with other clans. Good for practice, and grows their synergy well. Having only 1 team in a clan that only scrims in fear for that clan’s “reputation” is sickening.

• @NoVaLombardia:

1. We need to link casual players to this competitive mode. Even things as simple as a message of the day on servers to advertise comp events/organizations would help, but ideally matchmaking or in client access to competitive information are what we’d need. Something so that people’s only experience of high level play for the most part is duel servers that are much less balanced and a lot more heavily affected by bugs.

It’s all about accessibility. Like you said, just a simple splash page in the main screen of chiv, while you’re browsing servers is the simplest way to get it out there. Information has to be available where people are looking the most. People aren’t going to be actively searching for forums. When I advertised my duel tournament in random servers. 80% of the people asked, “What chivalry forums?”

…nuff said.

Maybe though 5 clannies on ts/vent will destroy 5 casuals, not sure the point.

• @gregcau:

Maybe though 5 clannies on ts/vent will destroy 5 casuals, not sure the point.

As of right now. In order to get your feet wet or get a taste of a competitive 5v5 match. You have to talk to another clan, or another team and schedule an event, figure out what server to use, send out passwords to everyone, explain rules to everyone (for those that are new, like 50% rule). There’s probably more steps involved, but you get my point.

Now imagine if all you had to do was call on a few friends, click “JOIN QUEUE” and that’s it. Much more simple right? It’s not about getting stomped by an organized top clan, it’s about having the means to easily access the content. Those casuals will eventually be up against other casuals or people in their same skill bracket. That’s what matchmaking is all about.

Those same people will play more often, get more skilled, and there will be more competition in general.