Alternative swings

• Alternative swings are hitting people faster than normal swings with most weapons.
    In case Torn Banner hasn’t noticed yet.

• As far as I can tell, alt swings have the same wind-up times.

The release times on alt swings like alt overhead seem faster.

The only weapon that I can tell that has a faster windup with an alt attack is flail.

As far as other weapons go, the alt horizontal swings starts in front of your body, closer to the target compared to your normal swing;

• @NoVaLombardia:

As far as I can tell, alt swings have the same wind-up times.

The release times on alt swings like alt overhead seem faster.

The only weapon that I can tell that has a faster windup with an alt attack is flail.

As far as other weapons go, the alt horizontal swings starts in front of your body, closer to the target compared to your normal swing;

It’s not the times, it’s the angle at which the release phase begins. If a normal attacks begins 120 degrees to the right, then an alt swing has to begin 120 degrees to the left; right now this is not the case, the majority of alt swings start at lower angles so that they essentially have in-built attack acceleration. You’d have to accelerate a normal swing to begin dealing damage earlier in the release whereas with most alt swings, you don’t have to accelerate as much. That’s why they are ‘faster’ despite sharing the exact same windup time.

• Yes, also the positioning, as I already stated.

The windup times are what’s most important in these cases though.

• While I don’t mind that the animations start lower and are therefore faster, maybe an increase in wind up time might make for a strategic balance between an alt swing and a regular.

I generally use alt overheads compared to regular because the angle at which it comes in is much nicer to work with.

• While I don’t mind that the animations start lower and are therefore faster, maybe an increase in wind up time might make for a strategic balance between an alt swing and a regular.

I think that would end up creating more unbalances than necessary. The best solution, but a more time consuming one, would be for the animator to give a second pass to all alt swings and making sure all starting angles are the same when the release phase begins. If there’s one thing M&B mastered, it’s the entire concept of ‘alt directions’ and starting angles because no single side is advantageous in that game, you don’t see people always wanting to attack from a particular side just because it’s a little bit ‘faster’.

• Alt swing feint spamming animation looks totally bizarre too. Really annoying.

• bump for dev attention
    are alt swings supposed to work this way?

• 1char