Spectator mode feature ideas

• I was just watching through an old Vanquish vs Interitus match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut0NIkdLcJo) and I had some ideas about how spectator mode could be improved to make recorded matches more enjoyable to watch, and easier to commentate:

1. Add an option to enable, on either side of the screen, some small class portraits or symbols with health bars and names. Mason on one side of the screen, Agatha on the other. When a player dies, the portrait could get a red X through it. These player monitoring icons could also be clicked to take the spectator down to a 3rd person follow-cam of the clicked player.

2. Add an option to turn on health bars for players on-screen; they could be at the feet of the player model. Nothing fancy, just a RTS style green-yellow-red thin line.

3. Lastly, and I don’t know if this would be possible, map objects which are currently hiding a player from spectator view(tree foliage, columns) could go translucent, allowing vision of the player through the object.

I’m sure there’s more that could be improved, but I think these three things could make the game much more enjoyable to watch. I think advanced spectator features like this are a necessity for a competitive scene to flourish. I believe TBS chose to make the player HUD minimalistic and unintrusive, but spectator mode requires more readily observable info than it has. Currently, spectating a match is pretty confusing. It’s difficult to get a good view angle on some maps, and difficult to see all of the action at once. Offscreen player monitoring in the form of icons and removal of environmental occlusion could make matches easier to understand.