Winning tactic in TO? Gathering troops at spawn?

• I’ve wondered if this is the winning tactic? People would wait at spawn until the whole team or most of the team has respawned, and THEN attack the enemy all in the same huge attack wave. Repeat until victory.

I’ve seen multiple attempts to make this work, but on public servers it’s hard to get people to cooperate. Some people may try it a few times, but get bored because everyone is not participating, and people go back to “Run-straight-to-death-alone” tactic, or randomly team up with few people who happened to spawn at the same time.

But seriously, would it be the best tactic to say, kill the king in Stoneshill? Just one big attack, and the king would be dead?

Have you ppl tried this?

• That is pretty much what you do in scrims. 5 players are much more effective than 5 times 1 player. But on pubs it is just everyone screwing around^^ (which is more fun and less effective, because, let’s face it, waiting is boring^^)

• Falc is right.
    Imagine 12vs12 at the same time at the same place on a public server. Most would instantly die because they dont know what to do. Sure it is the best tactic but not for public games.

• In some games, you got a synchronized spawn time for the whole team, meaning you don’t have to wait at spawn (because you already waited in the limbo), easying the way to do grouped assaults.

Chivalry chose the famous “I-for-the-love-of-god can-not-say-whenever-the-fuck-I-will-spawn” which is not a good idea. Will never be changed anyway.

• It has a far higher fail rate than a succes rate.

Reason being while your all standing around spawn doing nothing. They are unintentionally grouping up too. Jus becuase no one is killing them. they even move up a bit. Basically it makes it harder for yourselves.

• Actually I find it is a very successful tactic in some situations and have got entire teams to participate on pub servers. Killing the king in Stoneshill is the obvious example. Usually I will call for a group up in the foyer just past the spawn at about 5 mins to go. Then I stand in the foyer facing people running in from the spawn pressing “c” and others start to gather around all chanting/laughing/bowing etc.

Then we attack.

If that doesn’t work then it we try again which is much easier because if we all died in the same wave we tend to respawn as a wave.

Also in some ways it works better if a few on your team don’t join in and run towards the enemy. that keeps them occupied and hopefully they don’t notice we’re grouping up. This tactic almost always works in my experience.

It works there because of the map though, the attacking team can group up in a space where generally the defenders can’t see you. If you try that on other maps it’s much harder. For example I’ve tried it before on the second stage of pushing the cart on Darkforrest and that is much harder, mainly because you have to group in the spawn itself. As soon as you run out of the spawn archers start shooting at you and other defenders will attack. Also I think it’s harder because there are two exits at the spawn people don’t always see you.

• Depends.

It works well on Pubs if you can get at least half your team to listen. But it’s easily countered if you have someone on the other team who has any knowledge of battlefield tactics and can get people to listen to them.

• If the other team realizes what you’re doing, they can rush your spawn and lock you up for the rest of the match.
    It’s better to get to hold a chokepoint while waiting for your teammates.

• @lemonater47:

It has a far higher fail rate than a succes rate.

Reason being while your all standing around spawn doing nothing. They are unintentionally grouping up too. Jus becuase no one is killing them. they even move up a bit. Basically it makes it harder for yourselves.

+100