How swinging should really work in chivalry.

• Specifics aren’t important !!!
    Specifics aren’t important !!!
    Specifics aren’t important !!!

You could make it reduce at a linear rate the method isn’t important, just need a way to stop feinters looking to the sides to make swings and overheads hit the instant the wind-up finishes.

Hitting an opponent at the start of a swing could also interrupt the attack as if you’ve hit an object or a wall, depending on the weapon size. I also think subsequent targets hit should take reduced damage, 25% damage loss per additional target hit after the first strike.

@Borge:

If you have played for any length of time the problems associated are obvious. The entire release period for weapons can be avoided by sharply turning so your opponent is hit straight away at the start of the swing. For right side slashes you look far to their left and they are instantly hit for 100% damage as long as the weapon touches them.

This gives you very little time to react and often makes blocking very difficult and unreliable. The problem is further compounded when feints are used, because you have the entirety of the wind-up period to feint, and you’re instantly hit upon release if your enemy puts you inside their swing starting zone, so you literally cannot react and differentiate whether it is a feint or a fully released swing because the release is now instant.

It is also easily done with overheads by looking directly at the ground, making the release instant.

It is far more intuitive when you think about it that weapons should do far less damage when they’re moving slower at the start and end of a swing.

It is a cheap mechanic that is heavily exploited and it negates the disadvantages of many weapons, especially the slow ones.

• Something like this would fix so many issues at once. Should also be applied to overheads. But I think your zones are too big. Orange zone should also be max damage and only the edges should be reduced damage. Not 25% damage though.

• This is awesome as long as they adjust the tracer speeds throughout swings to reflect it, they’re pretty funky at the moment

• This looks great! Now a fix for vanguards with polearms hitting for full dmg while facehugging and obviously hitting you with the shaft of the weapon.

• What? Dude fuck that. Same damage/speed at any point during the swing.

now you carebear kiddies are going too far. Reign it back. Forget this idea its terrible.

• I dont like the idea even when it IS fixing some problems but it wouldnt be a good solution for the gameplay.
    Is here someone who knows how that was balanced in aoc because it felt good there.

• @KÄPTn:

I dont like the idea even when it IS fixing some problems but it wouldnt be a good solution for the gameplay.
    Is here someone who knows how that was balanced in aoc because it felt good there.

You couldn’t accelerate or decelerate your weapon (as much) in AoC. So there was no need for that.

• @KÄPTn:

I dont like the idea even when it IS fixing some problems but it wouldnt be a good solution for the gameplay.

Even though they are obviously different games, Mount & Blade has a similar system to this. Any swing that strikes far too early doesn’t do nearly as much damage as when its mid swing. And it makes a whole lot of sense.

If you want to hit early to quickly disrupt or catch them off guard, you’ll have to sacrifice some damage. Seems reasonable to me.

• This idea is just great. It would fix a whole bunch of issues at once. Please, Tornbanner, please implement this one!

+99999999999…

• I would have been against this for Age of Chivalry because the gameplay was a lot faster there, but if there was ever a Chivalry 2, this is pretty much a must (maybe not in the exact implementation listed however, but similar).

• This cannot work for several reasons. The main one being the burden on the net code. Seriously? This kind of addition of information and calculation would kill an already burdened net code. They would totally have to re write scripts and the net code. Not, like the net code is perfect in anyway. The second reason why this would totally fail is because it nerfs swing dragging and speeding up your swings thus changing up the timings of the swings. Why drag a swing if there is only a narrow band of 100% damage?

• Not necessarily. The easiest way to program this would be to base the damage on the amount of time that has passed since the swing began. You don’t need to do anything more complicated than that.

• @Retsnom:

This cannot work for several reasons. The main one being the burden on the net code. Seriously? This kind of addition of information and calculation would kill an already burdened net code. They would totally have to re write scripts and the net code. Not, like the net code is perfect in anyway. The second reason why this would totally fail is because it nerfs swing dragging and speeding up your swings thus changing up the timings of the swings. Why drag a swing if there is only a narrow band of 100% damage?

1. nope

2. That’s just good. I hate how you can miss your overhead and then just drag it quickly to the side in the last moment. Actually you wouldn’t even scratch your oponent, but in Chivalry you do the full damage. That’s kind of dumb.

• The main one being the burden on the net code.

It wouldn’t touch net code, you put it all server side, where all the damage calculations already are…

• @dudeface:

Not necessarily. The easiest way to program this would be to base the damage on the amount of time that has passed since the swing began. You don’t need to do anything more complicated than that.

Again you are still talking calculations and processing power and that info being sent through the netcode. AOC_swingtrace is already pretty complicated, adding this scripting would burden it even further. Imagine a 32 player server having to calculate even more than it does, lag would suck even more than it does now.

• @Retsnom:

@dudeface:

Not necessarily. The easiest way to program this would be to base the damage on the amount of time that has passed since the swing began. You don’t need to do anything more complicated than that.

Again you are still talking calculations and processing power and that info being sent through the netcode. AOC_swingtrace is already pretty complicated, adding this scripting would burden it even further. Imagine a 32 player server having to calculate even more than it does, lag would suck even more than it does now.

I seriously doubt you would see any difference.

• In Warband everything comes into factor, the speed you were moving in relation to your opponent when you hit, how close to the centre of your swing you were, how long you held the attack for, where on your opponent you hit, how much armor value they have versus the weapon and damage type you’re using.

Yet hits instant and the netcoding is spectacular and smooth even with 100 players in Warband. Netcoding is not an issue with this.

• Warband is not based in the same engine and simplified compared to UDK. There is also a huge difference in Dev teams and their programing skills.

• Seriously. This kind of thing is not a big deal on the dev side of things. You should instead concern yourself with discussing the merits of the actual idea.

• @dudeface:

Seriously. This kind of thing is not a big deal on the dev side of things. You should instead concern yourself with discussing the merits of the actual idea.

I did. The second part of my disagreement was that it would effectively nerf slowing and speeding up attacks essentially nerfing turn fighting. It would fundamentally change how the game is played and how you time your swings and parries for that matter.