Overhead Lookdowns are fine!

• THE BARDICHE HAS ARRIVED:

FlyingSquirrel here with a brief primer on why lookdown overheads with the bardiche is legit.

First off I’ve been playing exclusively with the bardiche since I was a rank 4, when I found out how many kills I got with it over every other weapon I knew it was the one. I stuck with it even now at rank 40. So I know a little something about the BAR “muthafuckin” Diche. I will tell you why the Bardiche requires skill and deligence to kill those rank 40 SOW knights.

Few things, the bardiche is primarily a two hit kill weapon against all classes, so don’t drink the hatorade cause you got 2 hit comboed and died, thats normal and should be normal. The problem most people have is the instant overhead lookdowns, the fact they they feel helpless if it does happen.

The bardiche is a great weapon for noobs because of its ability to deal damage, and lack of ability to miss. Most people don’t even do a lookdown overhead correctly, nor do they know really how to exploit them at low levels simply because they don’t understand distance, nor because they understand timing. At higher levels if you just look down at someone elses feet, thats called telegraphing, they know for sure your going to pull off some dumb lookdown instant. It won’t work if anyone has any experience with the bardiche because it has a long windup, and if they see that wind up they will block. Try this against any level 40-50 MAA or KNIGHT during duels. You WILL LOSE.

You need additional skills to equal those knights and MAA, having the two hit capability is not enough. You need to be clever and deceptive. You need make them go on the defensive when they DON’T have the ability to block by either use of feints or footwork. Without the lookdown overhead, you no longer have the ability to actually attack anyone who knows what they are doing because they lack the option of a fast enough attack to take advantage of a poor block, judgement or feint. Instead your so slow that you will just get blocked and blocked and blocked and blocked. Who wants that? This makes the Bardiche pretty useless.

Some say that the bardiche is overpowered because it is a extra long weapon that 2 hits knights, and also comes out so fast because of the instant overhead. People forget that it is played BY A VANGUARD, the vanguard is the easily the least played class in any serious clan match because it is made of twigs and doesn’t have the speed/dodge of a MAA nor does it have the health pool of the knight. Without the versatility of instant overheads of the bardiche, you make the vanguard even more of a rarity.

The solution is to just play more against vangaurds who instant overhead because ONCE YOU ACTUALLY LEARN THAT YOU CAN BLOCK AN INSTANT OVERHEAD, there is almost nothing a vangaurd can rely on doing except run away, duck, matrix and block the next hit. This is because the bardiche has such a god damn long wind up. Trust me, I tried attacking again after being blocked, and an instant overhead is not fast enough (it would be OP if it was, too bad instant overheads are TOO SLOW).

If all this technical talk is not convincing enough for you consider the following:

People play the game to win, there are clans that play the game to win, there are people want to win duels using every exploit in the game. Why are most people knights with SOW instead of getting diving into duels like a flyingsquirrel with instant overheads and sweeping tournaments? Its cause its too DAMN SLOW, and everyone knows the bardiche is not their “style.” Until you find some n00b killing level 50 knights with instant overheads in tournaments it is fine the way that it is. Granted I feel the animation for the overhead could be a little bit better (Isn’t that true for any weapon?)

For those that say nobody who actually uses a bardiche in real life would overhead so close and hit with the handle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSTL1mTo5v0

Check out dat kick at 14 seconds too

Here you can see me BARDOUCHEING.

http://www.twitch.tv/yogaflame1337

Now if you excuse me, back to my mead.

What seems to be the profficer? DISCOOOOOOO…Im not a crook, I’m a parakeet!

• 1 shots archers and man at arms. Instead of being a 2 shot on any class.

FTFY

• I half thought you were trolling.

There can be no possible defence for that weapon in its current state. The animation is so horrifically broken that you can’t defend against it unless you have specifically practiced it for hours on end; no-one except clan members can do that, and even they fall for its horrific animations pretty often.

There is simply no justification for it.

• If the Bardiche is fine then my name’s Mary.

• Go home sir. You’re drunk off mead from tavern.

• @NoVaLombardia:

1 shots archers and man at arms. Instead of being a 2 shot on any class.

FTFY

Only if you hit them in the head… Which is hard to do with a BARDICHE especially if you instant overhead. Not to mention the overhead is punished by the fact that you can hit the ground and you can get comboed to death via facehug cause the instant bardiche overhead isn’t fast enough with the wind up this is where I die the most. (yes you can pull it out before it hits the ground in the last second, but even then that is hard to do, and it won’t be nearly as instant)

here can be no possible defence for that weapon in its current state. The animation is so horrifically broken that you can’t defend against it unless you have specifically practiced it for hours on end; no-one except clan members can do that, and even they fall for its horrific animations pretty often.

Thats not incredibly true, all it takes is a few duels againts me to get used to it… of course I don’t always do instant lookdowns, but I almost always do overheads because of the damage, not speed. You’ll be playing with a skilled bardicher if you play againts me and thats why you might lose, but another noobs that just instant hit, its real easy to beat them.

When using instant overheads combined with other things, there was a linear progression in my skill over time, not an instant trick as it is made out to be. I know, cause I duel knights that are way less skilled than I am, yet they assume im not because i instant them. Yet they don’t know I practice with it wayyyyy more than they do.

i’ll admit that the animation can be better, this needs to change. However the speed of the actual attack doesn’t. I only do a instant bardiche overhead if im 100% sure I will land it, sometimes it won’t and its my fault.

• are you really defending such a low exploit? seriously? it really need a nerf, like most of lookdown on weapon but that one is just bad, we don’t need to learn to block and instant overhead, you need to learn to play chivalry without exploit, I do it, not many does, I can still offer a challenge!

• It’s weakness is rank 40 to 50 players? So only people who know that the bardiche’s overhead animation doesn’t match the actual path it takes?

Perhaps thou is not sound of mind.

• @MrRedshark:

It’s weakness is rank 40 to 50 players? So only people who know that the bardiche’s overhead animation doesn’t match the actual path it takes?

Perhaps thou is not sound of mind.

it is quite more sound of mind than you think. Basically its a weapon that is easy to pick up by a noob and win againts other noobs, but when matched against good and experienced players it lacks versatility and requires tons more precision/timing because its such a slower weapon.

The game is designed to be balanced for people who play the game, not for noobs. Rank 40s and Rank 50s put more time in the game than everyone else.

• Only problem I have with bardiche is getting hit for full damage with the very end of the pole. Other then that It’s pretty slow and easily defeated.

• I agree, I don’t have any problem with lookdown overheads. Some weapons are faster than others but enough hours and you can anticipate them just fine. So the bearded axe has a fast overhead - whoopee do - its swing is slow - which means you can anticipate attacks just fine. Its a niche weapon which is not used competitively due to the predictability as to how it will be used.

• @Flyingsquirrel:

THE BARDICHE HAS ARRIVED:

FlyingSquirrel here with a brief primer on why lookdown overheads with the bardiche is legit.

[…] Try this against any level 40-50 MAA or KNIGHT during duels. You WILL LOSE.

You need additional skills to equal those knights and MAA, having the two hit capability is not enough. You need to be clever and deceptive. You need make them go on the defensive when they DON’T have the ability to block by either use of feints or footwork.
    […]

So basically you’re saying lookdown feint overheads with bardiche is legit and even go so far as to call it “additional skills” over just looking down and overheading, which will kill anyone who doesn’t know you have to look down and block the hilt instantly.

Lulzy.

• @Daiyuki:

@Flyingsquirrel:

You need additional skills to equal those knights and MAA, having the two hit capability is not enough. You need to be clever and deceptive. You need make them go on the defensive when they DON’T have the ability to block by either use of feints or footwork.
    […]

So basically you’re saying lookdown feint overheads with bardiche is legit and even go so far as to call it “additional skills” over just looking down and overheading, which will kill anyone who doesn’t know you have to look down and block the hilt instantly.

Lulzy.

If you have to look down to parry an overhead, that’s bullshit.

• @DDR:

@Daiyuki:

@Flyingsquirrel:

[…]

Lulzy.

If you have to look down to parry an overhead, that’s bullshit.

Little bit. You can also telegraph your lookdown, forcing the instant parry, then drag the slash all the way up and use the long release time of the overhead to bring it down near the end of the slash after the parry has entered recovery. You don’t even need to feint, Bardiche overhead is just unblockable if you manipulate it properly, same with Zwei to a slightly lesser extent.

• i just want to point out that in the video you posted, while the guy was standing very close… he also still had a windup and release… the lookdown over with bardiche is just… barely windup… hit the ground. That guy did not hit his opponent instantly, nor did he hit him with anything particularly damaging unless he was at least like 2 feet away torso to torso.

Also, if you’re able to win most duels with ease against pretty experienced players by feint, lookdown overhand, feint, lookdown overhand… think that easy mode is a good thing? idk i find a big issue with many weapons, the bardiche is not the only one that can do this.

• I would say that I cant kill most knights with ease just by using fients and lookdown over heads even though it is the bread and butter. I don’t use it all the time. I can however kill rank < 30s with it.

It is also correct from a previous poster that you can do a delay overhead by telegraphing a instant overhead. That I believe is a dynamic skill based part of this game. It applies to any weapon that can delay.

• yeah but those instant overheads are complete bullshit dude lol. It’s literally so fast, especially when you’re not just attacking with it, but doing a parry counter lookdown overhand… the person is usually still stuck in a parried recovery state while he’s getting insta hit… it shouldn’t be that way. Plus, it’s troubling to know where to aim when there’s practically no animation. That particular weapon (bardiche) being so long, when you look down, it basically looks like a windup animation, then it hits the ground… and you’re hit with a VERY damaging attack… it’s total bs IMO.