Is dancing an intended mechanic?

• Is dancing (AKA sprinting around enemies semi randomly, constantly swinging at enemies) an intended tactic? Recently, I’ve started seeing dancing used by at least one person in nearly every game, usually a vanguard.

Personally, I think it is an extremely easy to use, very low skill maneuver that yields very high reward for very low risk.

For example, earlier in a TO there was a VG dancing with a zwei. It was 3 of us vs him, a MAA and 2 knights (I was one of them). We couldn’t play super aggressively against him, since we would hit each other. We couldn’t surround him because he was moving so quickly and unpredictably. We could try to hit him as he was coming in, but he was moving too unpredictably, and missing a strike generally meant being hit. Plus, he can LMB to easiily hit multiple enemies.

Eventually, it was only me left, using the SoW. I tried riposting one of his strikes, but his huge range advantage and the fact that being parried doesn’t stop sprint meant that by the time my stab went off, he was out of range already. Then, he promptly spun around and hit me. Realizing my current strategy wouldn’t work, I tried playing very aggressively. However, since spinning around quickly and wildly makes it difficult to keep your cursor on someone, I couldn’t keep up. I tried throwing a strike, it didn’t reach, and he spun around and killed me.

I’d just like to know if this is an intended mechanic, because I seriously think it needs to be looked at.

• The few things I don’t get is:

1. When people run away then turn around to swing. Due to their weapon’s long reach, whether you move after them or you stand still ready to block, the swing of the weapon still hits you. Not to mention, that the way the character and weapon moves, it becomes a lot harder for a parry to register.

2. When people run towards you and it looks like they are moving their sword from left side to right side and vice versa, then proceed to hit you. I have no idea how this accomplished and I hope someone can enlighten me. It looks like they are switching stance without even swinging then after they go in for a swing.

I’m trying to train myself to be a MAA so players that do either move makes it extremely hard for me as I need to get up close and personal.

• I don’t see it as high reward. He’s no harder to parry than than the next guy.

And he kited you at the end. Stand still. When ever anyone suddenly runs away from you do not chase them.

If he’s dancing wait for him to get close and I mean really close when he swings as you do a parry combo

• Dancing is not a game mechanic. What button do you press to dance?

Feinting is a mechanic. Swinging is a mechanic.

Dancing is a strategy, incorporating various mechanics.

Del does it really well, so do a few other people. Boston from kila has a really nice feint reliant look down zwei dance style. Its a trick, its not robust at all, its trick from the bag.

Further, its difficult to do well. Its a useful but balanced strategy with various classes.

• I really hate kiting… Stupid tactic totally breaks immersion for me and does nothing but annoy me. These people make me want to F10 until I explode irl.

• Being able to resume sprinting immediately after attacking (whether it’s parried or not) is definitely not an intended mechanic.

• After I cut down most of those who turn their backs on me in a fight, I make it known that I scoff at their “swordsmanship.”

A wound in the back is shameful for a swordsman!

• I dislike the strategy as it break immersion.

I used to fall for it and hate it but I’m fairly confident now. You can do one of a few things: not chase, chase and attack if you have a long enough weapon (this often catches them unawares), or chase and block then counter attack.

Really it’s a great tactic for getting a high amount of kills in high population pub servers. I’ve seen people with very high scores who use this tactic as it garners a high KD ratio.

Part of the strategy is that you can’t be near your own team mates as then you’ll hit them. However a group of enemies will see a lone wolf and get overly eager to attack and then will open themselves up to this tactic.

• @lemonater47:

I don’t see it as high reward. He’s no harder to parry than than the next guy.

And he kited you at the end. Stand still. When ever anyone suddenly runs away from you do not chase them.

If he’s dancing wait for him to get close and I mean really close when he swings as you do a parry combo

I DID try that. However,
    A) His weapon was significantly longer
    B) The second I parried him, he turned and sprinted away. By the time my counter went off, he was well out of range

• @SlyGoat:

Being able to resume sprinting immediately after attacking (whether it’s parried or not) is definitely not an intended mechanic.

Sure, there are a lot of unintended mechanics in the game. But is this one you’re actively trying to ‘fix’ ?

• @SlyGoat:

Being able to resume sprinting immediately after attacking (whether it’s parried or not) is definitely not an intended mechanic.

I believe that mechanics like this, that take away from the immersion is something the team is working on.

I think that once you start swinging, you should be prevented from running around instantly and swing like the weight is nothing. I like the stamina idea but I believe weight should come into play, in the way that if you swing a hammer once, miss, there is no way you should be able to run and swing it with ease a few more times.

If I go toe to toe with someone, there’s no running around in circles, just face to face, swinging, parrying and trying to get the upper hand without pulling out some crazy immersion breaking tactic.

Until then, I shall train myself to learn to deal with such mechanics. :)

• @Keith:

It’s not that hard to deal with unless you’re using a 1 hander.

Broad sword has enough reach and is fast enough to deal with it.

• People keep talking about ‘immersion’, do you know what it is or how it is attained?

Immersion is sticking to a consistent style that is engaging, playing a game with challenges and rewards that draws you in.

Its not like they’re transforming into a donkey, kicking you to death, then flying away on a rainbow. While being 2D. Now that would break immersion.

Not sure how a dude baiting you in with a fake opening by running, then turning and hitting you because you let your guard down breaks immersion. Maybe the tears in your eyes are blurring the screen.

You’re mad cuz terribad dancers munch you with a gimmick strat. L2p

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Keith:

It’s not that hard to deal with unless you’re using a 1 hander.

Broad sword has enough reach and is fast enough to deal with it.

I’m trying to play as MAA and I can’t block with the buckler to save my life. I don’t get how the blocking on it works considering the weapons always goes through. I either hold it or try to parry with it and never anything.

So me with my one handed weapon against those two handed dancers is not fun.

• Immersion is sticking to a consistent style that is engaging, playing a game with challenges and rewards that draws you in.

You’ve different definition of immersion than most of the people do then.

Not sure how a dude baiting you in with a fake opening by running, then turning and hitting you because you let your guard down breaks immersion. Maybe the tears in your eyes are blurring the screen.

It breaks immersion because nobody would fight like that. Charging or moving around a bit is fine. Turning your back on enemy to turn in instant and hit is exploit using hole of the in-game mechanic to gain an advantage. You shouldn’t be able to dance in the first place. If you want to run - run. I can do fairly well against dancing, mostly by not following and setting myself on the intercept course, but I still think this shouldn’t be happening in the first place and I hope it’ll be fixed.

I’m trying to play as MAA and I can’t block with the buckler to save my life. I don’t get how the blocking on it works considering the weapons always goes through. I either hold it or try to parry with it and never anything.

You must block ahead of it. Even more so if you’re close to an opponent or he has particulary long weapon. Buckler need to be really precise, but it’s possible to block after all. I was using it for quite some time. I still think it needs to be buffed as it takes way too much FOV for what it gives.

• @JCash:

People keep talking about ‘immersion’, do you know what it is or how it is attained?

Immersion is sticking to a consistent style that is engaging, playing a game with challenges and rewards that draws you in.

Its not like they’re transforming into a donkey, kicking you to death, then flying away on a rainbow. While being 2D. Now that would break immersion.

You’re mad cuz terribad dancers munch you with a gimmick strat. L2p

Actually maybe you should learn to read.

I have no problems fighting kiters but I dislike the way they play for two reasons.

1. People don’t fight like that- either now or in medieval times. That’s why it break immersion.

2. It’s not a hard strategy for an experienced player to defend against but it catches n00bs off guard. This means not only does the person doing it get a high amount of kills but they tend not to face off against you.

• @Keith:

I can’t block with the buckler to save my life.

Nobody can. Use Heater Shield, or just dodge.

• @Holy.Death:

the ramblings of a child

You’ve different definition of immersion than most of the people do then.

As i said, most of you have no idea what immersion is.

It breaks immersion because nobody would fight like that.

Nobody would respawn either. Its a video game. No one would just stand still as someone attacked them either. We need to put in AI so if someone is afk their character moves. Also perma death. Also, lets just all buy swords and do this in real life, because chivalry will never be exactly like real life swordfighting.

. Turning your back on enemy to turn in instant and hit is exploit using hole of the in-game mechanic to gain an advantage.

That isnt exactly how it works but also, Naw. I’m telling you what the problem is. You’re not good at the game and you’re getting munched by dancing scrubs. It is not hard to counter dancestyle. I think the crux of it is, dancing (the turning and spinning) needs to be less effective than paying attention and engaging your opponent in a traditional fashion. Which it is. Vastly less effective, ‘dancing’ is a gimmick strat, again its not a robust tactic. You can’t only do that, its not especially powerful in comparison to other styles, and futher, to really do the dancestyle well takes a good deal of skill/practice.

You shouldn’t be able to dance in the first place.

You know you can’t literally dance right? You can just move a bit in combat.

1. People don’t fight like that- either now or in medieval times. That’s why it break immersion.

People don’t re spawn. The mason order is fictitious. The graphics look nothing like real life.

Immersion is not based on historical accuracy. You do not know what it is, or how it is attained. You’re confusing the emotions of anger and sadness you feel after being killed with a ‘break in immersion.’ No, you just went from happy you were doing well, to sad you got killed. That is a break in your happiness.

1. It’s not a hard strategy for an experienced player to defend against but it catches n00bs off guard.

So play more noob. Its like you’re retarded. L2p

• I like it, it actually makes vanguards fun to play.

Not really any more hard to defend against, you just have to watch a running away opponent like an approaching opponent and get ready to parry or block.

• @JCash:

Yeah. So?

The fact that you don’t believe there is a problem with mechanics that break people’s immersion does not mean they aren’t breaking people’s immersion.

It is easy to be immersed even in completely unrealistic scenarios, but certain thematically inconsistent mechanics can feel out of place, and breaking immersion is 100 times easier than creating it.