Is dancing an intended mechanic?

• @dudeface:

@JCash:

Immersion is sticking to a consistent style that is engaging, playing a game with challenges and rewards that draws you in.

Yeah. So?

The fact that you don’t believe there is a problem with mechanics that break people’s immersion does not mean they aren’t breaking people’s immersion.

It is easy to be immersed even in completely unrealistic scenarios, but certain thematically inconsistent mechanics can feel out of place, and breaking immersion is 100 times easier than creating it.

“certain thematically inconsistent mechanics”

Name them. Recall that dancing isn’t a mechanic. It is a strategy incorporating various mechanics, and to remove it would require low level mechanics tweaks that would also necessarily effect and change every aspect of chiv combat. Or, you’d have to impose odd arbitrary movement restrictions, which funnily enough would actually tend to be immersion breaking.

Immersion is not especially difficult to create/maintain, certainly its not hard to break either.

The fact that you don’t believe there is a problem with mechanics that break people’s immersion does not mean they aren’t breaking people’s immersion.

Because it can’t be breaking their immersion, because it does nothing to be inconsistent with the rest of the game. Thats like saying, i dont even know, people moving left breaks your immersion.

What they’re really saying is that they have a problem with that method of play, the dancestyle. They’re dressing up their problem with a video game buzz word ‘immersion’ and trying to use that to justify their crying about being bad.

I tried to explain that if you l2p, it isnt hard to counter.

And again, i’m sure after you die to someone spinning around and hitting you, you get really angry, start to cry, possibly cut yourself, and it takes you completely out of ‘the zone.’ But that is your issue. The people are not transforming into cartoon lions and breathing fire on you, they’re moving away, then turning and hitting you. One of those is a perfectly legitimate tactic, the other is an immersion breaking stylistic deviation that makes no sense. Guess which is which.

• lol. The reason, it seems to me, that you have a hard time talking to people on this forum is because you are a complete and utter douchebag with a greatly inflated sense of self worth.

I’m sorry, but I don’t even want to engage you in conversation.

• @dudeface:

lol. The reason, it seems to me, that you have a hard time talking to people on this forum is because you are a complete and utter douchebag with a greatly inflated sense of self worth.

Never feed a troll.

• I don’t intend to repeat that mistake.

• @dudeface:

lol. The reason, it seems to me, that you have a hard time talking to people on this forum is because you are a complete and utter douchebag with a greatly inflated sense of self worth.

Hahaha, forreal, this fool does not know what immersion is… How is it up there on that high ass horse man?

And for the record, I have no problem fighting “dancers”. My only problem with it is it just looks so fuckin stupid. Which is why it can break immersion.

• So ‘dancing’ is the new ‘bunny-hopping’?

• This flawed mechanic should be removed.

• @The:

This flawed mechanic should be removed.

Moving is not a mechanic.

Or, maybe it is. You want moving (WASD) to be removed? Well, shit.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Moving is not a mechanic.

Correct. Moving is not a mechanic, it is an exploit. I can’t believe they left the WASD keys in. What on earth were the beta testers doing?! It’s impossible to beat those assholes who move around. They’ll keep attacking you and then moving away and what can you do? Nothing.

The only way to beat it is to use it yourself. All the pro players are exploiting movement now and it all comes down to who is better at breaking the game and causing their characters to move around more.

Sigh I hope they fix moving in the next patch. I’m on the verge of quitting Chivalry from all the move exploiting I see.

• Sprint at him. Block the first strike. Keep sprinting at him. Block the second and counter-attack off the parry. Combo for the kill.

Really, dancers are not a problem. Of course if you can’t counter-stab, you’ll have a problem, which is why I think people complain about this. They either aren’t aware of the counter-attack mechanic or can’t time it right and thus they can’t get their attack off in time to catch the dancer.

• Dancing ak advanced footwork is the number on fun factor for me in the game. It enables u to fight multiple targets and it bring diversity to the fights. Stop arguing with the immersion bullshit if something breaks immersion then it is the whole game, because nothing of it is realy realistic. deal with it.

• @SlyGoat:

Being able to resume sprinting immediately after attacking (whether it’s parried or not) is definitely not an intended mechanic.

So, when will we witness the return of the ‘‘engaged’’ mechanic? :)

• @restinpieces:

Dancing ak advanced footwork is the number on fun factor for me in the game. It enables u to fight multiple targets and it bring diversity to the fights. Stop arguing with the immersion bullshit if something breaks immersion then it is the whole game, because nothing of it is realy realistic. deal with it.

So you would enjoy the game as much without graphics, just some stickman on a grey platform? Lets face it, immersion is fun (we all play this to enjoy the fantasy of fighting, actually were just pressing buttons) and should be balanced with gameplay.

Now I dont have a problem with a guy HITTING (aka doing dmg) to his first opponent then turning around to throw the next combo strike at another one.

However if I parry or block your attack you should feel that (it throws me back even) and have a harder time continue running around. Thats why I favour the make block stop sprint idea that was posted a while ago.

• Is dancing (AKA sprinting around enemies semi randomly, constantly swinging at enemies) an intended tactic?

No. It has been recognized as problem and the developers are trying to fix it.

• Make it so that sprint does not work once the player is within ten feet of an enemy. Anyone who thinks these guys sprinted into combat, much less fought WHILE sprinting, is ignorant of the reality anyway.

• @Panzerlang:

Anyone who thinks these guys sprinted into combat, much less fought WHILE sprinting, is ignorant of the reality anyway.

They absolutely did, I saw it on youtube.

XJ8S8_O0OYM

• @gregcau:

@Panzerlang:

Anyone who thinks these guys sprinted into combat, much less fought WHILE sprinting, is ignorant of the reality anyway.

They absolutely did, I saw it on youtube.

XJ8S8_O0OYM

All I saw was an MAA rushing up to a javelineer, dodging and performing an overhead. Happens all the time in game.

• @Towe:

@restinpieces:

Dancing ak advanced footwork is the number on fun factor for me in the game. It enables u to fight multiple targets and it bring diversity to the fights. Stop arguing with the immersion bullshit if something breaks immersion then it is the whole game, because nothing of it is realy realistic. deal with it.

So you would enjoy the game as much without graphics, just some stickman on a grey platform? Lets face it, immersion is fun (we all play this to enjoy the fantasy of fighting, actually were just pressing buttons) and should be balanced with gameplay.

Now I dont have a problem with a guy HITTING (aka doing dmg) to his first opponent then turning around to throw the next combo strike at another one.

However if I parry or block your attack you should feel that (it throws me back even) and have a harder time continue running around. Thats why I favour the make block stop sprint idea that was posted a while ago.

I would enjoy that yes. I would sure miss the eye candy but i would still love it. I also have no problem with beeing stopped during a block as long as I can start sprinting afterwards.

@Panzerlang:

Make it so that sprint does not work once the player is within ten feet of an enemy. Anyone who thinks these guys sprinted into combat, much less fought WHILE sprinting, is ignorant of the reality anyway.

That would be stupid as [enter prefered cus word here]

• I’m surprised people are complaining about attacking while sprinting hurting their immersion in a game where spears are frequently swung and one class can teleport over short distances.

@Panzerlang:

Make it so that sprint does not work once the player is within ten feet of an enemy.

No, let’s not.

• Well, I guess if the sprint is also being used as the short forward-rush it can’t be disabled. Unless…a double-tap on the W key can be used for the short forward-rush! Wow, that was easy!

In which case, disable the ‘sprint’ when within ten feet of an enemy.

Seriously…go see how far you can sprint…or even jog…in a full suit of plate armour. And then wave a bloody great sword around. :roll: