Why Im leaving Chivalry and the main problems

• I cant stress how awful this game has become. I played the beta and many months afterwards and its just been terrible recently. So many people just facehug you and goes right through your block, so many people overheading with a hammer and getting past your shield, the amount of cheaters in the game. The spam in chat every couple of seconds, OP weaponry that never is balanced has all lead to my uninstallation of this game and I will never play it again for quite some time. I can never enjoy dueling because of the cheap tactics, face hugging and bad physics the game has to offer. The archer spam is ridiculous too. Last man standing is virtually un playable because archers in a line own you before you can reach far enough to get a swing. Man at arms being able to dodge once, hit you and then continue because your weapon cant swing as fast as theirs. It just is a whole lot of bullshit that goes on with this game that I just cant take playing. I used to have so much fun with it but now its a pile of shit. I home the devs fix all these problems and make the game more realistic in combat. Overhead mauls should not OHK Man at arms it just needs balancing. Everything needs balancing and from what Ive noticed so far with this game is that the devs don’t do shit about it. You guys wont be seeing me anymore around the game. Plenty of better, less frustrating and more fun games out there. Goodbye Chivalry, Ill sure as hell not miss you.

• Holy wall of text.

TW;DR (Too walled; didn’t read)

• @NoVaLombardia:

Holy wall of text.

In short he pretty said that’s he’s not great at this game and hasn’t adapted from the beta.

• You may or may not come back to read this, but we are in fact improving on a lot of things. The next patch will focus on balance and mechanics, so you may want to try it out once released to see if your biggest issues were taken care of.

You also might want to read up in this section as we’ve been posting a lot in it lately when we’ve been updating.

viewforum.php?f=2

We’ve also just got a studio up and running now and with the team all together in one cozy office now, updates will be happening a lot faster and more nifty things are to come.

• Edit: because I’m an asshole.

• That’s why I hate this community. Everyone just “insults” him, instead of aknowledging the problems of the game. I personally think exactly the same! The game has reached a point, where I can’t play more than 10 minutes - it’s just not funny anymore, it’s not fair anymore, if you are trying to play the game without using exploits.

The only one reacting correct was Kimiko - Kudos.

I really hope, that the game gets over these problems, but seriously: At the moment it’s unplayable to me, due to a lot of the things, stated by the OP.

• @Fatalness:

So many people just facehug you and goes right through your block, so many people overheading with a hammer and getting past your shield

Its a lot better with the last two patches, I have few problems blocking with the shield once you understand the particular weapons tracer.

@Fatalness:

the amount of cheaters in the game.

at least the global ban server is back up a few days ago, but yes there should be more cheat checks.

@Fatalness:

The spam in chat every couple of seconds

If you mute someone from the tab menu it affects their chat text now.

@Fatalness:

OP weaponry that never is balanced

I would really say there are weapons that are underpowered but when it comes to competitive play there is no single weapon everyone takes. Competivite SOW and longsword are the most common and I don’t have any problem with them.

@Fatalness:

Last man standing is virtually un playable because archers in a line own you before you can reach far enough to get a swing

Try a shield and learn to zig and sometimes zag.
    @Fatalness:

Overhead mauls should not OHK Man at arms

So dodge it.

• Bye! Do swing by the definition of paragraph on your way out, would ya?

• @NoVaLombardia:

Holy wall of text.

nova, i granted barely know you, but don’t be such a dick. Seeing what you posted, would have been better to just not say anything and move on. If you’re not willing to read someones post, then why respond to it?

• Got to agree with Hammel on this one, the OP’s complaints are perfectly valid (well, most) and yet a certain few are happy to insult anyone who dare offer criticism.

• @Martin:

Got to agree with Hammel on this one, the OP’s complaints are perfectly valid (well, most) and yet a certain few are happy to insult anyone who dare offer criticism.

I don’t think that’s it. It’s because obvious problems are lumped in with plain ignorance. I get the frustration aspect, beleive me. Sometimes you just get fucked in this game, hard. You’ll get caught on a piece of terrain that looks exactly like the rest of the terrain, or latency shits all over you with animation desync. Be sure to protect those veins and arteries that are running through your idle shield because hey, you have a second head in there! I just figured out today that jumping looks like you’re beginning an overhead strike with certain weapons. The hell with feinting, just jump.

I get it. Trust me.

Thing is, many of the OP’s problems are easily avoidable. Don’t like chat rage? Turn it off. Don’t like Archer LTS? Play a different game mode or play with a Tower. Don’t enjoy hammers going over your shield? Look up. He lost me when he started talking about OP weapons. There are maybe 1 or 2 weapons that need some adjustments. There’s a lot more UP weapons than OP weapons. He complains about the dodge of MAA being too powerful but thinks the Maul shouldn’t one shot them. Ehhhhhhh, see what I’m getting at?

Also, calling the game “a pile of shit” and ripping on the developers to a community who, for the most part, still enjoys playing the game, really doesn’t warrant balanced or respective feedback.

The OP is free to say what he likes, but so are those who respond to him. The OP sets the tone of the thread after all.

• yeah, a lot of threads get things mixed up as hexen says, i agree most that misunderstanding of the game also gets lumped into the shitty things that happen to all of us. Animations on certain weapons look the same as doing something else, ie longer weapons held behind a vanguards head looks like a feint or windup if they look down, getting stuck on weird spots on the map… tactics/mechanics ppl don’t agree with. At the end of the day, this community wouldn’t spend so much time arguing back and forth about things if they truly didn’t love the game, and want to see it get better in some way.

Hopefully OP, you’re criticisms are valid, some of them, but hopefully you’ll return and still have fun playing the game. I’ve had days where this game just makes my blood boil, and other days that i’m having the time of my life. It’s a love/hate relationship for me, but mostly love… and after almost 1000 hours in the game, i’m still sinking more into it every chance i get.

Get well soon

• It’s of particular interest to me how the responses to this person’s thread almost prove his point. I recall the early, blossoming days of this game, in which the community communicated like adults with respectable IQ’s. The amount of ad-hominem in this thread just goes to show the evolution that has taken place. Hell, in the early days I was hard pressed to find an LTS where if you were the last person standing, you weren’t getting a fair shot at dueling. This is very much a metaphor for this thread. People who disagree with his opinions aren’t even giving him a fair shot or constructive criticism. They’re just ganking him to end the round.

And you know what? As someone who loves this game dearly, he is making some valid points (in my opinion.) The developers have been off the ball with this game’s growth after development. The game combat, while slightly flawed, was far more stable than it currently is. It was inevitable that the annoying people–people who intentionally facehug, look down, kite and 360 you, jack mouse sensitivity… It was inevitable that these people would flourish and cause people to take a mass exodus. And I’m not bitching. I play this game legitimately, and I can hold my own against anyone using advantageous tactics, but…

You have to acknowledge that these nitch advantages ultimately drive long time, and new players, out of the game. People loved the game for its realistic reproduction of medieval warfare, not for its gimmicks. As the playerbase has evolved and changed, Torn Banner must make drastic decisions to repair the state of its game. I don’t want to see this game become a dying star. But even I, a player who has no problem playing in a straightforward fashion and who leads very often, find myself distancing away from the game and moving to greener pastures. This is not the skill based reproduction of medieval combat that I fell in love with anymore!

• @Bighands:

the responses to this person’s thread almost prove his point. …
    People loved the game for its realistic reproduction of medieval warfare, not for its gimmicks.

I would say ‘stylized reproduction’. You don’t really control the characters arms, you control the animations.

Otherwise +1

• @Bighands:

Hell, in the early days I was hard pressed to find an LTS where if you were the last person standing, you weren’t getting a fair shot at dueling.

Oh there is still plenty of chivalrous people out there, just the others that give them the bad name.

I find the game much more fun when you act like a knight. Duels I don’t feint, I slow down my attacks rather than speed them up, I rarely combo, I compliment them on a win, I leave their neck intact so they can have a proper burial, in TO if someone is way off the side in a lengthy duel I usually let them finish, don’t kill steal, sometimes use my shield to let someone else attack from behind. I nod to people at the start of the duel to let them know I’m cool - sometimes they nod back. If they are AFK I stand behind them until they come back and panic as to where I am. I will sacrifice kills for protecting objectives (I am the fire extinguisher).

I recall a rank 2 with a quarterstaff yesterday on a duel server who could not hit me for the life of him (even when I was standing still) so I just shield bashed him back instead of killing him.

When you treat others with respect, they enjoy the game and you feel pious like a Cleric. Just because you can lead the scoreboard does not mean you should. I’ve seen others act the same way but yes its not common.

• Got to agree with Hammel on this one, the OP’s complaints are perfectly valid (well, most) and yet a certain few are happy to insult anyone who dare offer criticism.

Community here is far from mature, there is no denying that and this can be said about most of them. Some (most?) of the OP’s complaints are vaild, yes, but are also mixed with not constructive criticism and his tone is inappropriate, to put it mildly.

I criticize this game a lot and I wouldn’t post in that tone, especially that the developers “the devs don’t do shit about it”, because they’re obviously supporting their game. They might not be too successful in taking out bugs and fixing problems (which isn’t good), but there is still a difference between what they’re doing and what Firaxis is doing on XCOM - Enemy Uknown where there is literally zero communication with players and patches aren’t seen for a very, very long time despite bugs being still in game.

When you treat others with respect, they enjoy the game and you feel pious like a Cleric. Just because you can lead the scoreboard does not mean you should. I’ve seen others act the same way but yes its not common.

I play the game for the thirst of battle it gives. It feels really good when you have decent combat (which doesn’t mean winning every single combat) and teamwork. Score is secondary to that, but to each his own.

I don’t harras others, unless they attack me on purpose (kicking included), then I just kill them and intiate a votekick (and if that fails I’ll keep killing the guy who’ll keep trying to kill me until he quits or gets kicked) because I don’t like team-attacker on my team. There is FFA mode in this game so they can go there. I also don’t like people who are oblivious to teammates and will kill them to kill an enemy, dealing TKs a few times in a row just because they’re too lazy to use more precise attacks. I forgive when I gets under someone else’s blow thought or when it’s a specific weapon or attack (spear, stab, overhead) where I see they at least tried not to hit a teammate.

• Sometimes it’s best to just read between the lines and disregard the nonsensical attacks. When you strip that away and read the actual things that are being criticised, you start to see a pattern. Some people of course cannot read between the lines, just notice the things that are completely irrelevant and/or opinion based and then go on to throw insults themselves which just covers up the main reason the thread was created in the first place and that is the person is leaving because of a number of problems (minus the odd balance related issue which tends to also be a matter of opinion), of which I can sympathise with myself and fully understand where the OP is actually coming from. Deep down inside, these players often love the game, but are frustrated because of a number of things, they WANT to see the issues go away, they really do and they vent their frustration on the forums because it’s the only place you CAN vent your frustration where there is a glimmer of hope that one day, you will return to the game and all the problems there ever was were resolved. The people that don’t care and leave simply never post on the forums, they just depart and you either never see them again, or see them again months or years later. The best response to threads like these are to just say, assuming it is the case of course, that fixes will happen in due course (as Kimiko has nicely done), rather than throwing more petrol on the fire, so to speak. I mean, let’s be realistic here, who, in their entirety of history of gaming has actually ever visited an official game forum and seen threads that are all happy and loving mixed in with things they completely hate and endlessly frustrate them? Of course, I’m not saying personally attacking the developer should be condoned, because I don’t agree with that at all, but what I am saying is that more insults only makes things worse and stifles the community.

• Deep down inside, these players often love the game, but are frustrated because of a number of things, they WANT to see the issues go away, they really do and they vent their frustration on the forums because it’s the only place you CAN vent your frustration where there is a glimmer of hope that one day, you will return to the game and all the problems there ever was were resolved. The people that don’t care and leave simply never post on the forums, they just depart and you either never see them again, or see them again months or years later.

I am not entirely sure. Basically there are the people who give their input and people who just play the game. Now, people who don’t post either like the game (and play it) or not. People who make posts here are entirely another matter though. I saw some people trying to give decent info on what they think. Then there are people who throw crap on party A suggesting something party B does not like.

I agree that focusing strictly on mechanical side - without being subjective - would lead to better proccessing what changes should be made to achieve the desired results and eliminate subjective view versus subjective view (which leads to poster versus poster combat), but for that to happen we need people to behave like decent human beings. That means we shouldn’t not have trolls, flamers, etc. running around freely as they do now (and there is the question who’s the troll/flamer and who’s not and how to judge that, etc.). The best community I’ve ever saw is Paradox Interactive forums: you can ask about anything and you’ll get polite and informative answers, if you present a problem (not technical, more like “how to do…/what to do…”) a lot of people will discuss to solve this behaving like true gentlemen. Still, there is a strict moderation and that helps to exstingush fires whenever needed.

I often find that a complete freedom of speech is the route leading to anarchy and barbarism, as I’ve also seen a plenty of sites with no moderation at all. I understand that free speech is worth preserving (as non-free speech is worthless), but it still calls for limits of some kind.

As for the pattern - I don’t think there is a problem with seeing the problems. I think problem is how to produce a fix that is actually fixing them, solving problems entirely. So far each next patch is creating another bath of problems or not working as intended even though it’s been tested at beta-patch stage, which is somewhat confusing. I think that’s the biggest problem and partially why the OP has left the game: so many problems appear from fixes that (some?) players feel the game getting worse over time. It rises the question how to fix stuff in such situation.

• I must say, I’m harboring similar feelings towards the game, although due to slightly different reasons. I have recently returned to the game after not being able to play it for over two months and I was, frankly, quite a bit shocked by how much it changed.

When I left, the servers were usually populated with rank 1-15 people, some of whom were decent, while most were cannon fodder, with a few 20-30-above veterans mixed in who provided a challenge (or not). When I returned, I joined a server and found myself with barely anyone under the 20 rank. Immediately I thought “great, this is going to be a good match with seasoned players”.

I was very wrong. Maybe it was a bad example, I don’t know, or maybe I’m just unlucky at picking servers, but every server I joined was packed with people who did nothing but exploit gameplay mechanics to get kills. Facehugging, always on sprint, lookdown overheads, you name it. Now I’m sure there are people defending these things, and they existed before I left, but they were rare. Somehow now, they became far more frequent, as, I assume, most players got tired of getting destroyed by them and adopted the mechanics as well. Something that always happens with an effective exploit in multiplayer games over time, sadly.

Therefore, gone was the thing I had fallen in love with Chivalry for. That is, the realistic (to a point), gritty, epic medieval combat. Playing on the battlegrounds map I saw groups of players sprinting around each other like headless chickens, swinging once, then sprinting away in an opposite direction to avoid retaliation. No more face to face dueling, not even an attempt to parry or counter attacks. Again, this may just have been a poor choice of servers on my part, but it sure left a bad taste in the mouth. What’s worse, it looked like an effective playstyle. Yet I couldn’t bring myself to even try it. It is not why I started to play this game.

Apart from that, I also noticed a huge increase in framerate problems, the game would stutter far more than it did before I took my break. However, I can’t very well blame this on anyone, since it might just be my PC getting old. Still, it’s weird seeing how I had no issues whatsoever before, and now I find myself with a terrible framerate, even after considerably lowering my video settings. So I gave up on that part.

I’m not sure if I’m ever going to pick up Chivalry and be able to enjoy it as much as I once did. My issues with the combat seem to be issues that can’t and won’t be resolved with any patches- it’s just a case of players finding out which approach is the best in combat, and sticking to it, but I will not start facehugging/sprinting in combat/lookdown overheading for the same reason I refrained from bunnyhopping in Half Life 2 Deathmatch- it may give you an advantage, but it looks riddiculous. And that alone can ruin the fun in the game for me. Call me shallow, if you like. End of rant.

• @Velociraptor:

…but I will not start facehugging/sprinting in combat/lookdown overheading for the same reason I refrained from bunnyhopping in Half Life 2 Deathmatch- it may give you an advantage, but it looks riddiculous. And that alone can ruin the fun in the game for me. Call me shallow, if you like. End of rant.

Well said sir. :swords: