How would you guys feel about a "hardcore" mode?

• So if there was a “hardcore” setting in Chivalry akin to COD’s in which your character would take more realistic damage would you guys play it?

Hardcore mode COULD include:

1 hit kills to the head for most decently damaging weapons
    no health regeneration
    increased stamina cost for most actions
    More realistic damage vs the different armor types and classes
    bleeding mechanic

You know I had a ton of ideas when I was discussing this with my friends earlier. Now that it’s time to write them in a post I’m drawing a blank. But I digress, what are your thoughts/criticisms/suggestions?

• I would, yes. But only if the game is fair until then. Imagine facehuggs, well times feints, overhead-lookdowns etc. which onehit you D: doesn’t sound too funny to be honest. Maybe after the game has been updated a bit :)

• Yes they could all one hit you. But you can also 1 hit them. I do however see your point, there would be no margin for error. But that’s part of the fun.

• I would say no, because it only splits the community.
    CoD has a huge player base so it’s not that of a problem when there are different game modes, but with Chivalry and its rather small community it would be bad thing.

• I would prefer a softcore mode where everyone gets double health.

• I could do without the lowered damage - that tends to simply screw up balance in most games (see CoD, Battlefield) - but I certainly would like to see how the game plays without health regeneration. Am I correct in saying AoC didn’t have health regen?

• @DaciaJC:

I could do without the lowered damage - that tends to simply screw up balance in most games (see CoD, Battlefield) - but I certainly would like to see how the game plays without health regeneration. Am I correct in saying AoC didn’t have health regen?

It had, but much slower.

• I’m not entirely sure how much you can customize a server, but I see that being the best way to pull off that mode. That way, those that want to can find a server offering that and at the same time, we can still keep the community together rather than split them into different modes.

You do see those few servers that are modified to a certain play style so people that enjoy that niche can play with others, so I see this being exactly like that.

As for the idea itself, my only concern is that if it does somehow become it’s own mode, then there is a level limit imposed. I think that if a brand new player decided to hop in the server and give it a go, they’d be put off very much by the fact that all they seem to be doing is running, getting killed in one shot and continuing the process. At least with the way the game is now, they feel like they have a fighting chance, even if they do get kill eventually. The limit should be set to level 15.

• Yeah why not but then again i’d like to see a lot of server based game variations. Would this one be top of my list? probably not; that said, I’d give it a go.

• Every time i enter a server its hardcore mode. Wuddup.

• Armour wise the head has the thickest armour. So one hits on the head would be quite hard to do with most of the weapons.

• I wonder what would it be like to fight against an archer :)

• @JCash:

Every time i enter a server its hardcore mode. Wuddup.

Mad cool. lol

• I’d just caution that archers would be a hard thing to balance. My experience with hardcore mode in CoD was a bunch of camping snipers because now every weapon was capable of a ohk. If archers can do that now, well I guess you better expect that.

• @AllShallPerish:

1 hit kills to the head for most decently damaging weapons
    More realistic damage vs the different armor types and classes

Realistic plate armor = you can’t hurt someone in it and you probably won’t kill someone with one hit to the head either. Most arrows will not penetrate.

• I think damage values are good this way even for a hardcore mode. Also it would probably screw up the balance too much. Some things that could work out:

• no health regeneration
    • slower stamina regeneration
    • stamina loss for sprinting
    • bleeding at <20% hp
    • only first person (maybe with helmets blocking vision)
    • no respawn (or limited)
    • crippling opponents (cutting arms, wounding legs for movement penalties etc.)

Just things that would change the feeling to hardcore without messing with balance too much.

• I think your idea is great. Try making a more detailed thread of your suggestion in the suggestion forums and the devs could possibly pick it up. I’ve wanted to see an insta-gib type gamemode in this, seems this could be great!

• I love the idea but my only problem is that a lot of weapons would quickly become useless, there would be no reason to use a slow weapon if you can use a fast one and still get a one hit kill.

• Also why use knight?
    Last team standing is a good hardcore mode for me (my favourite).

The biggest problem I have with all this variation is the server browser i must say.
    As long as there is no way to know (other than the server name) what youre joining I dont want much difference in rules…

• It’s a nice idea in theory, but come on - in practice it’d be dump. If you had a bunch of like minded guys you know playing a private game together it’d be ok, but pubs would definitely be something along the lines of…

Absolutely everyone playing as MAA or Archer, waving dane axes, shortswords and heaters - OHKing everything that moves. You’d spend about 20 seconds alive every life, spend half the match waiting to spawn and it’d be gimmicky fun at best. If you reduced the spawn times to counter the spawn waiting, it’d just end up ridiculous. Knights and vanguards would be completely outmatched by the other two classes, etc etc - and the gameplay would quickly result in one small niche tactic being most successful - i.e what I already mentioned, and it’d become stale and frustrating super fast.

Of course, some hipsters would still play vanguard, and teamkill absolutely everyone with wild LMB zweihander swings.

NO NO NO. Christ i’ve found myself vehemently opposed to this. That got out of hand quickly.