Vanguard Special – Heavy Strikes

• Currently, the problem with charge attack is its limited use.

1. You are highly vulnerable after the charge attack.
    2. The charge attack is easy to defend against, it is very slow.
    3. The reward for successfully getting a charge attack off is limited.
    4. Stabbing charge attacks are very hard to aim properly and can only be used against 1 person effectively. Swords cover the biggest range.
    5. The biggest use of the charge attack is being able to stun the blocking or parrying opponent, making him very vulnerable for follow up. This is very hard to do and must be coordinated carefully.

I propose a change to the special ability that vanguards use. This is an overall buff to a vanguard and would probably make them more desirable to use as their role describes.

Replace charge attack with…

A passive ability: Heavy Strikes – Attacks by a vanguard take more stamina to block or parry than normal (I’m thinking about a 50% buff to their stamina drain from its current state).

1. Vanguard’s long range is used for zoning and constant pressure. It will counter-act the reduced stamina that knights use to block.

2. Vanguards will be more desired to be picked up if their zoning and pressuring ability is buffed. As of now, their main strength is not strong enough to ever consider replacing a knight with a vanguard.

3. Small buff to vanguards in general, and very much needed.

I was going over this random thought that popped in my head on teamspeak. As far as I know, nobody has suggested this, so I thought I’d put it up for people to talk about.

Thoughts? Extra input?

• I like it well enough, but a commensurate stamina drain for missing these heavy strikes would be nice.

• Seems a bit too much of a buff to me, I’d prefer something like the charge but one that actually works.

• I still believe making a vanguard charge attack being able to, or almost able to 1 hit-KO. It would still make it a very risky maneuver, but the reward for a successful hit would be worth it.

• Vanguards don’t need a buff. You ask a bunch of people who the most OP class is and most people will say vanguard.

• They were experimenting with a much faster charge, so will see how that goes.

• Wow. This is actually a very good idea. I don’t know about 50%… maybe something like 35% extra is more appropriate?

I personally only use charge when the enemy is standing still and looking in another direction. So yeah, charge isn’t the best thing in this game exactly.

• something along these ideas would probably be one of the surer ways to test improving the class in a way that matches their melee weapons. I also agree with others that 50% is probably excessive and would more likely overpower Vanguards, 35% does sound like a good number to trial…

• I love this idea, at the moment, the vanguard charge sucks spiky metal balls, i don’t think i’ve ever seen one in competitive play. The only real and consistent advantage vanguards have currently is their attack range. Maa’s are almost unhittable, knights are armored and tanky, and archers can flipping shoot stuff! Vanguards health is kinda similar to maa, and they strafe slower and can’t dodge. Their damage is for the most part, similar to the knight, so having a piss-poor excuse for a special is not good! (and their taunts are kinda lame). I hope this idea at least gets a trial/test.

• I like it.

Anyone who thinks vanguard is overpowered needs to hop on a server versus a team sporting an inordinate amount of archers or men-at-arms. Against knights and other vanguards they might be “overpowered,” But mobility and range leaves them huddled in a bloody pool on the floor.

The ability to overpower a light class would make more sense than, “I can sprint and miss you with my attack while you proceed to murder me.” I hardly ever charge, and when I do use the attack it’s by mistake.

• @lemonater47:

Vanguards don’t need a buff. You ask a bunch of people who the most OP class is and most people will say vanguard.

Vanguards are not OP by any means, they only appear “OP” in pubs. Which is an incredibly inaccurate way to determine if a class is over-powered or under-powered. Do some weapons perhaps need to be tweaked, maybe… But that class over all could definitely benefit from certain changes. Their “special ability” for one needs to be re-worked or replaced, they are also imo to squishy ( slightly controversial). The only problem with vanguards getting a buff is their huge success in pubs, it over shadows their weakness and need for a buff.

They are just as squishy as a MAA, and have the most useless ability in the game. As a huge advocate for vanguards everywhere I’d like an ability passive/active that can be used with some success.

Personally I think vanguards should get a bubble, the end.

• Sounds like a very good idea.

• I must be the only person who likes the charge. But I don’t use it very often because of the limitations listed already.

Someone previously suggested making the Vanguard invulnerable to arrows during the charge, which seems like it would make the charge more useful.

• Perhaps it would also only toggle below a certain health. So the more damaged the Vanguard is, the more pissed off he’ll be at you, and swing harder.

• EymKZBG0-bc

You want this?

• I really dislike the charge, I’d only use it as a back attack, but an overhead swing is just as viable…
    It uses a lot of stamina, takes time, and if you miss you’re fucked, and if they parry half your stamina is gone.

I always laugh when I kill a vanguard charging at me and missing, then me comboing overhead and stab and killing him while he’s still sliding across the floor.

IMO Vanguard charge should either be improved or replaced with something much better, and also MaA should not be able to teleport… I mean dodge ;) MaA should just be able to strafe very quickly.

• @BillDoor:

I must be the only person who likes the charge. But I don’t use it very often because of the limitations listed already.

Someone previously suggested making the Vanguard invulnerable to arrows during the charge, which seems like it would make the charge more useful.

Hmmm I like that idea. I see it as an alternate ‘arrow dodge’ charge ability equippable in your loadout in place of the sprint attack. Dodges arrows for a short burst but isn’t an actual attack itself maybe?

• @NinjaCub:

@lemonater47:

Vanguards don’t need a buff. You ask a bunch of people who the most OP class is and most people will say vanguard.

Vanguards are not OP by any means, they only appear “OP” in pubs. Which is an incredibly inaccurate way to determine if a class is over-powered or under-powered. Do some weapons perhaps need to be tweaked, maybe… But that class over all could definitely benefit from certain changes. Their “special ability” for one needs to be re-worked or replaced, they are also imo to squishy ( slightly controversial). The only problem with vanguards getting a buff is their huge success in pubs, it over shadows their weakness and need for a buff.

They are just as squishy as a MAA, and have the most useless ability in the game. As a huge advocate for vanguards everywhere I’d like an ability passive/active that can be used with some success.

Personally I think vanguards should get a bubble, the end.

How is it an in readable inaccurate way of determining if a class is Op or not. 90% of games are pub games.

• @lemonater47:

How is it an in readable inaccurate way of determining if a class is Op or not. 90% of games are pub games.

Because if you went by pub games an archer would have to deal double the current damage in order to have equal kills to a knight and the MAA would need to one-shot everything.

• @EricFong:

EymKZBG0-bc

You want this?

Yuss please.

Also, I like your sig-pic.