For the devs.

• I hesitate to compose this. a) because it takes a lot of time and effort and b) it’ll be for nought. But what the heck. :D

The game has issues. Taking advantages of exploits, maybe this post can deal with those. Dealing with outright cheats, probably not.

I’m going to broad-brush-stroke this…

Each player could set up a character with certain attributes, Five of them, that gives 100,000 combinations. Eg, five attributes all sharing from a pool of 100%:

Stamina, 1 to 100%
    Speed, 1 to 100%
    Strength, 1 to 100%
    Agility, 1 to 100%
    Accuracy, 1 to 100%

Then take all the armour and shields and weapons and give them values. Maybe based upon their gram weights, with tuning for particulars (a heavy sword with a two-handed grip vs one with a one-handed grip for example).

Then apply all the above to the mechanic that already exists, with whatever adjustments needed.

The above system would allow a fast and agile person to wear heavy armour and use a heavy weapon and be slaughtered. It would also allow him to wear no armour, use a light weapon, and take hours to kill a heavily armoured knight. Unless his accuracy got his blade through a chain-mailed gap in the plate (think higher accuracy selection = smaller cone-fire on the weapon-tip). Or the knight managed to land one blow with his heavy sword.

See where I’m going with this? Just putting in those five attributes exponentially expands the possibilities and overall combat experience. Massively increased depth.

If only Skyrim’s combat could be reproduced almost exactly as it is…but with Chiv’s clothing and extra complexity of strikes etc…

• @Panzerlang:

Each player could set up a character with certain attributes, Five of them, that gives 100,000 combinations. Eg, five attributes all sharing from a pool of 100%:

Stamina, 1 to 100%
    Speed, 1 to 100%
    Strength, 1 to 100%
    Agility, 1 to 100%
    Accuracy, 1 to 100%

Then apply all the above to the mechanic that already exists, with whatever adjustments needed.

The above system would allow a fast and agile person to wear heavy armour and use a heavy weapon and be slaughtered. It would also allow him to wear no armour, use a light weapon, and take hours to kill a heavily armoured knight. Unless his accuracy got his blade through a chain-mailed gap in the plate (think higher accuracy selection = smaller cone-fire on the weapon-tip). Or the knight managed to land one blow with his heavy sword.

See where I’m going with this? Just putting in those five attributes exponentially expands the possibilities and overall combat experience. Massively increased depth.

I understand where you’re coming from with the idea. However, I don’t think giving player attributes will fix the game, considering attributes are more or less given to weapons.

The combat of Chivalry, for the most part, is how the player acts and reacts based on the class and weapons they choose. If you allow people to increase an attribute like accuracy, then they’ll more than likely get in a hit or an arrow when normally, they wouldn’t due to not aiming properly.

If you start to adjust each player, then there is almost no point in each class, as people will choose the attributes based on how they like to play and use that however they want for any class. If a class has attributes increased in certain ways, then there is the possibilty that they can match any other class based on how the other player sets their attributes. If a Knight decides to put the points in speed and agility, meanwhile a MAA that already has good speed and agility decides to put the points in strength and stamina, then you have an almost perfect matchup, instead of the differences of the two that the classes bring. The classes already provide varied attributes so there is no need to allow people to change those.

Also, the weapons themselves basically have all the attributes you’ve mentioned. Its just a matter of how skilled the player uses the weapons, whether they pick a fast weapon for speed or a long range arrow for accuracy or a hammer for strength, they pick based on the weapon’s stats. If players change the character stats then you run into the problem that some or a lot of weapons can end up having the same effect based on the player’s original stats.

Considering right now, each class has their own way to deal with the other classes, I’d say it’s mostly balanced. The only thing right now is for the devs to fix whatever issues there possibly is that exploits the mechanics or takes away from the balance.

• Yes, the weapons have attributes but they are in isolation. Add player attributes and the combination of match-ups increases by the power to {a very huge number}. :D

Accuracy is cone-fire, where an algorythm randomly applies a hit-point within a given circle. Thus if you chose an attribute of high accuracy your hit-cone (or hit-circle would better describe it) would be small. Thus a high level of mouse-control plus a high accuracy attribute would enable you to stab for chain-mail gaps in plate with a high chance of success (for example). But then you’d have to trade that off for points in other attributes.

The system allows not only for massively greater depth but also for players who lack in certain real-life areas. Those with poor mouse-control can dial-in a compensation for example. Those with good mouse-control can take advantage elsewhere.

It’s broad brush-strokes thinking but having spent months designing sword board-games some decades ago I know it’s possible to calculate the parameters. How easy it would be to code them into a computer game however I have little idea.

• @Panzerlang:

Stamina, 1 to 100%
    Speed, 1 to 100%
    Strength, 1 to 100%
    Agility, 1 to 100%
    Accuracy, 1 to 100%

So Speed 1, Stamina 100% would mean it would take you half an hour to get to the objective - but once there you could block forever?

• @gregcau:

@Panzerlang:

Stamina, 1 to 100%
    Speed, 1 to 100%
    Strength, 1 to 100%
    Agility, 1 to 100%
    Accuracy, 1 to 100%

So Speed 1, Stamina 100% would mean it would take you half an hour to get to the objective - but once there you could block forever?

That would be speed 1%, stamina 99%. But no, that combo would leave you with 0% in strength, agility and accuracy and you’d not be able to get to your feet, much less travel. ;)

• There is no combat in Skyrim.

• @Merciless:

There is no combat in Skyrim.

Cardboard boxes ramming each other as far as I’m concerned.

So essentially this guy kinda wants it to be the combat in the anno domini 1257 mod for mount and blade. Hitting someone and not doing any damage whatsoever is a bitch. So disappointing.

The class system they have is fine. Everyone has the same health just different levels of armour which reduce incoming damage. The weapons have their own effect on stamina.

• Moved to Ideas and Suggestions forum.