[PROGRAMMING] Share your skills, knowledge and projects.

• Do you know computer programming?
    Share with us the languages you know.

Maybe you’re learning right now and you need help?
    Just post a question.

Maybe you’re working on something or have a completed project already.
    Show it off.

This is the place for anything programming related, so you can learn, share or help others.

As for myself, I’ve been learning how to do C++ and hopefully if all goes well, then I’ll be going to school (finally…) for a Computer Programming and Analyst program.

• Java, C#, PERL, JavaScript, C++, VB, PHP, C, UNIX shell, DCL, XSLT, Lisp, Prolog, ML.

• @gregcau:

Java, C#, PERL, JavaScript, C++, VB, PHP, C, UNIX shell, DCL, XSLT, Lisp, Prolog, ML.

Damn. I plan to eventually learn some of those in due time. First I tackle my first language then I’ll be able to switch over to other ones.

That’s cool Remixx, you have to tell me who the creator is. :) lol

• @Keith:

@gregcau:

Java, C#, PERL, JavaScript, C++, VB, PHP, C, UNIX shell, DCL, XSLT, Lisp, Prolog, ML.

Damn. I plan to eventually learn some of those in due time. First I tackle my first language then I’ll be able to switch over to other ones.

C++ is certainly not the easiest one to start with unless you are doing server side code. MFC was a pain in the ass.

Java and C# are popular, both applicable to fat client applications and web applications.

Just remembered one open source project I did 6 years ago as a precursor to much larger project.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osrmt

• @gregcau:

@Keith:

@gregcau:

C++ is certainly not the easiest one to start with unless you are doing server side code. MFC was a pain in the ass.

Java and C# are popular, both applicable to fat client applications and web applications.

Just remembered one open source project I did 6 years ago as a precursor to much larger project.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osrmt

That’s pretty cool. I hope to be able to do something like that myself one day.

As for choosing C++ first, from my understanding, if I manage to learn that which has a steeper learning curve then other languages should come easier.

• Developer

Speaking of MFC, ugh. I wouldn’t do Windows API programming in C++ unless you have to, especially not as a learning experience. If you want to do GUI programs in C++ (or even not GUI), I’m partial to Qt.

All told, including school, work, fun, I’ve used at least: C++, UnrealScript, ActionScript, Lua, Perl, C#, C, Java, JavaScript, Lisp, Prolog, Python. And I’ve done a bit of debugging in x86 and PowerPC assembly, which is just a treat.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

Speaking of MFC, ugh. I wouldn’t do Windows API programming in C++ unless you have to, especially not as a learning experience. If you want to do GUI programs in C++ (or even not GUI), I’m partial to Qt.

All told, including school, work, fun, I’ve used at least: C++, UnrealScript, ActionScript, Lua, Perl, C#, C, Java, JavaScript, Lisp, Prolog, Python. And I’ve done a bit of debugging in x86 and PowerPC assembly, which is just a treat.

…Show off. :P Actionscript is what I want to tackle next. How different is UnrealScript from C++?

• Developer

@Keith:

@CrustaceanSoup:

…Show off. :P Actionscript is what I want to tackle next. How different is UnrealScript from C++?

Uh, it’s maybe about as similar to C++ as Java is (maybe). If you know any other language with C-like syntax it’s not a huge leap, and it’s not a very deep language. It has some unique things like object states and state code, the defaultproperties block, the name type, and language support for network replication. Epic has a good amount of documentation on it, there’s a lot of other information available on the Internet because of UDK, and once we get modding support in I’ll probably throw a couple of my short “tips” documents into the Chivalry documentation wiki.

They’re getting rid of it for UE4, though, and going full C++.

• Ah, thanks. :)

I’m going to still learn UnrealScript because I’m sure it will be a while before we really see U4 as the modern day game. Plus, I want to create new maps for Chivalry so I’m sure it will come in handy.

C++ is going pretty well for myself so far. I’m using Sams Teach Yourself C++ in One Hour a Day. However, I’m not actually following the one hour a day. I’m spending time on each lesson so I fully know it then move on. Right now learning about controlling program flow.

Do you have any advice for what “projects” or “games” someone should make or learn to make with beginner’s C++ knowledge? I would assume a game like Pong would work once I learn more.