No-animation-combos, a.k.a. invisible attacks

• When an attack animation entirely fails to play at all, and you are apparently killed by someone’s idle animation.

Recorded 14/05/2013.
    This bug has been present since well before the latest major patch.

[youtubehd:12dx06q1]0rW9Ve_Z2WU[/youtubehd:12dx06q1]

I’ve been killed by this glitch many times. So far this is the best and most humourous footage I’ve gotten of it.

As far as I could tell, neither of us were lagging at the time of the glitch.

The bug is reasonably rare, but at the same time all too common. The most frequent perpetrators of this glitch are Knights and Vanguards with two-handed swords.

The no-animation-combo doesn’t always cause the perpetrator to spin around crazily… most of the time they simply stop attacking, start walking towards me in idle animation and suddenly I’m dead.

Edit: Example videos can be found on every page of this thread so far, in case anyone wants to watch more.

• I’ve been getting this bug too!

It only started happening to me after the major patch/hotfix was rolled out. I have been killed by it about 10 times now, happens once or twice every few hours.

While it’s not frequent, it is pretty aggravating when you’re having a really intense fight and all of a sudden get killed by some phantom swing. I have seen it happen more common when someone goes to Alt swing, cancel it and parry. Whatever happens after that is usually pretty glitchy.

I always check my ping as soon as it happens to me, I usually have 55-65 ish, opponent is usually the same, maybe a little higher.

• That’s crazy. Thank god it’s not as frequent as AoCs no animation attacks :P

• Happened to me 4 times in the last hour tonight. I couldn’t stand it.
    Here’s the proof, I hope this can be acknowledged and rectified in the future:

tpY75gPWsGw

It was unbearably frustrating tonight. 3/5 duels I had had dodgy animations like this or just some kind of glitch :(

• @Martin:

That’s crazy. Thank god it’s not as frequent as AoCs no animation attacks :P

That damn head-hit animation :x

• Please say this is something that can be fixed…

NaTe’s video made me cringe so much that I now feel guilty that the bug that plagues him is merely an infrequent annoyance for me.

• @Dibbz:

Please say this is something that can be fixed…

NaTe’s video made me cringe so much that I now feel guilty that the bug that plagues him is merely an infrequent annoyance for me.

Thanks Dibbz. I’m at least grateful it doesn’t happen to 1h swords, but 1h swords are a different issue for me. I always get hit before the animation reaches me/finishes it’s wind up. I think that is more of a global issue, but it has become more prevalent for me since the last 2 patches.

Last night when I came on and started playing it seemed alright for 1-2 matches. After we got to Moor(?) it just became terrible.
    I’d like to think I’m a pretty good fighter, but I don’t think the best of players could fight against that :(

• Yup this and the desynced animation glitch are still fairly common this patch :\ Any ideas on what is causing it Slygoat because I can’t pin it down so far.

• @Dr.Nick:

Yup this and the desynced animation glitch are still fairly common this patch :\ Any ideas on what is causing it Slygoat because I can’t pin it down so far.

Before the last two patches I had desync glitches, but not invisible swings.
    In my video when the Vanguard first attacks me with his overhead, how it sort of double swings and goes through me, I used to only have those infrequently (Once or twice a week.)

• There were tons of invisible swings in the previous 2 patches but that specific cause was fixed. This new invisible swing bug seems to be from something totally different than before…

• It seems to be worse than ever from my point of view. I’m now seeing enemies walk straight up to me, no animation at all playing for them (other than idle) and suddenly I magically lose my head. What’s bizarre is that it seems to be specific people on servers who (seemingly inadvertently) consistently pull it off, and none of are lagging either.

• This is an absolute killer for competitive play… especially when you can’t take one hit without dying.

• I think I really might have to get fraps to start recording this.
    This is not just completely and utterly frustrating, but it also repeatable… I was versing a rank 45 guy in a public server (Not going to name him), but he was using a Halberd and killing me every time with his second strike in his combo that never animated. He just seemed to calmly walk up to me and BAM! all of a sudden i’m dead…
    He kept leaving and rejoining the server every time people got upset about it too.

• Argh happened to me again last night, even worse this time, it happened with the Maul. :?

I forgot to record it (Need to get into the habit of always starting it when I play.)
    I was playing with a friend on Steam, I know he’s a pretty good player. He doesn’t use any exploits, just a well rounded individual.
    He pulls out the Maul to try it out, while fighting him I parry his attack, as I counter back, he parries successfully.
    There’s a moment of 1.2-2 seconds where I thought we were both quickly assessing the scenario, then out of nowhere my head explodes and I hear a grunt from his character. Absolutely no swing at all, he was in the idle animation.

I thought this bug only really occurred on swords, but to see it happen on the slowest most heavy hitting weapon was a bit concerning.

• I wasn’t sure at the time that I actually saw what I thought I saw, since I did such an embarrassingly poor job of aiming and timing my parries in this fight that it was hard to notice whether an attack that was bound to kill me anyway had animated or not…
    However I was sorting through my backlog of footage just now to see what I needed to keep and what I could delete when I found this from a couple days ago.

[youtubehd:dt90crfh]bhdW6kDcLC8[/youtubehd:dt90crfh]

Turns out it’s not just Vanguards/Knights who can trigger it after all?

Edit: Woops, I messed up the slow-mo. Re-uploaded.

• That actually looked like an awesome headbutt! :P

Haven’t seen it that bad with an MAA, touch wood I don’t have to see it that bad D:

• Attack combo combo SNEAK ATTACK FINISHER!

• Somebody I play regularly with complains that I ghost swing him occasionally. Nobody else complains about it, and the only difference with him is that we often partake in no-feint duels that involve lots of parry counters in a row. AFAIK they have all been overhead swings that ghosted. Of course, I’m using the zwei, so I overhead a lot…

Really weird issue. Only happens with him, or at the least he’s the only one to notice it consistently.

• @NaTe:

Happened to me 4 times in the last hour tonight. I couldn’t stand it.
    Here’s the proof, I hope this can be acknowledged and rectified in the future:

tpY75gPWsGw

It was unbearably frustrating tonight. 3/5 duels I had had dodgy animations like this or just some kind of glitch :(

This is a desync that happens when the attacker messes up the timing on a counterattack but the server thinks it was correct and plays the counterattack animation for other clients - to my knowledge it’s fixed in the beta (we were unable to reproduce it in slowmo).

For the other two I can only offer my best guess right now while we look into it -

In the OP it looks like you may have hit the vanguard at the end of his release, but for some reason the vanguard’s client didn’t register the release combo cancel despite the server registering it, so he kept comboing with no animation.

In the third video, the one on this page, I can distinctly hear the MaA’s attacks glancing the wall behind you - a certain # of tracers have to hit a wall before it’s considered deflected, so it may be possible the server registered it as a deflect and played a deflect animation while the client did not and kept attacking. The camera angle isn’t very useful for telling if this was the case, but it seems in those last few frames between when the MaA hits with his last visible attack and when he jumps, that his shoulder jerks back up as if his attack had bounced off the floor.

These are of course just theories right now, I’ll look into both of the unsolved desyncs.

• @Dibbz:

[youtubehd:1oatudge]bhdW6kDcLC8[/youtubehd:1oatudge]

Edit: Woops, I messed up the slow-mo. Re-uploaded.

YES!!! I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR HEADBUTTS! THAT WAS CLEARLY A HEADBUTT SIR, YOU WERE NOT SWINDLED!