[SIEGE] How to rule with Battleground's cata!

• I guess most of you have already played Battlegrounds and I also guess most of you have already been teamkilled by some dude at the cata who didn’t know how to use it safely for his mates. So in order not to TK your mates, use the following pieces of advice:

First, let’s talk about the basics of cata! You may ignore them if you already know the very basics

! So, you aren’t too much of a pro with cata, aren’t you? Well, cata has the potential to be the most annoying TKing machine in chiv if it’s not being used properly.
    ! The range of it depends on the number of “clicks”, created by holding down LMB, stackable up to 11 “clicks”. It’s turned with your A and D keys, but it can’t move around (unless it’s bugged, but that’s something I don’t want to cover).
    ! The best thing you can happen is when you hear only one smooth “click” around every 3/4 second. If it doesn’t sound smooth, but like there are several “clicks”, it’s kinda sure it counts 2 “clicks” per “click”. Never forget that!
    ! If someone is using cata who doesn’t know how not to TK, there’s a funny little trick to get him off without damaging him. Just attack the cata several times and it’ll break apart! But it won’t juststay there, thorn down, for the rest of the match, no, it’ll fix itself after around 5 secs.
    ! One last thing to note: Do NEVER, without ANY exceptions try to help in teamfights with catas. You WILL teamkill or at least teamdamage! And do ONLY attack the objective directly when there are absolutely no mates nearby.

So, let’s talk about the cata on Battlegrounds!

! The cata on battlegrounds has one big advantage and one big disadvantage. Its advantage is that you can clearly see almost everywhere on the map as soon as the petard is the objective. The disadvantage is actually the same, because you’ll be a perfect target practicing victim if the archers are smart enough to shoot you, sir Catorin Hood!
    ! Here are some tips to get rid of good archers: most archers are camping around 8 clicks away from you, either behind the palisade podest or near the big trébuchet on the righthand side. Just aim at them and throw with pebbles! Some of them are camping a bit on the left of the trébuchet, at the entrance to the actual battlegrounds. That’s circa 9-10 clicks away.
    !
    ! Then, there’s the most annoying way to use the cata, and it won’t cause any teamdeaths unless your mates are spawncamping. Aim the cata a bit to the left of the trébuchet on the righthand side and fully power it. If you hit a spawnwave, you’ll get plenty of kills in a very short time!

Thanks for reading, hope you’ve learnt something!

• Its supposed to only have 5 clicks. Its bugged so it sounds like it has a lot more clicks. It still only has 5 ranges the rock will go.

• I’ve seen the rock fly shorter distances when I powered it with 4 instead of 5 clicks Lemonater.

Btw, added a small amounth of text to the second spoiler

• @lemonater47:

It still only has 5 ranges the rock will go.

Forgive me if I’m misinterpreting what you’ve written, but that’s just not true.

The clicks literally mean nothing. They’re just an arbitrary addition to help you keep track of how long you’ve been pulling back the arm.
    The distance is determined by the exact time you hold fire for (within the minimum and maximum range of course)…. 3 clicks, 3.5 clicks, 3.1 clicks, 2.8 clicks etc. all fly different distances.

There are no specific bands of distance at which the boulder cannot reach you. Given enough tries you can eventually figure out the exact timing to get the boulder to land at any given point within the catapult’s range.
    Anyone who’s tried to catapult-snipe a stationary archer will know this. 4 clicks? Too short, go higher. 5 clicks? Overshot it, go lower. 4.5 clicks? Barely missed him, hitting the front of the hill he’s standing on, go a pinch higher. 4.7 clicks? Bullseye! Archer pancake!

• @Dibbz:

@lemonater47:

It still only has 5 ranges the rock will go.

Forgive me if I’m misinterpreting what you’ve written, but that’s just not true.

The clicks literally mean nothing. They’re just an arbitrary addition to help you keep track of how long you’ve been pulling back the arm.
    The distance is determined by the exact time you hold fire for (within the minimum and maximum range of course)…. 3 clicks, 3.5 clicks, 3.1 clicks, 2.8 clicks etc. all fly different distances.

There are no specific bands of distance at which the boulder cannot reach you. Given enough tries you can eventually figure out the exact timing to get the boulder to land at any given point within the catapult’s range.
    Anyone who’s tried to catapult-snipe a stationary archer will know this. 4 clicks? Too short, go higher. 5 clicks? Overshot it, go lower. 4.5 clicks? Barely missed him, hitting the front of the hill he’s standing on, go a pinch higher. 4.7 clicks? Bullseye! Archer pancake!

Turning the catapult gives that illusion.

Keep the catapult in the same place and the rock will always hit the same place if you do the same amount of clicks. There is no difference between 4 clicks and 4.9 clicks.

I highly doubt that archer is standing in the same place the whole time you were trying to turn him into a pancake unless he’s AFK.

• Typically the reason they’re standing still for so long is they’re trying to snipe me off the catapult and seem to genuinely think they can’t be hit.
    Besides, “standing still” when we’re talking about the catapult can be moving around anywhere within a 2 metre circle, which lets them avoid being sniped by other archers during that time.

I don’t think I’m mistaken about what the clicks represent unless the catapult has a huge amount of inaccurate spread that I haven’t noticed which is just fooling me into thinking the power ramp-up is linear and not in steps.