Assassin class: More fleshed out and perhaps more reasonable

• So, I’m sure you’ve seen people that have spammed the suggestions forum with assassin classes that would basically boil down to ninjas, and other silly ideas.

Well, I thought about ways to make that idea possibly a bit more reasonable.
    Hopefully a better attempt than those before, with better articulation at the very least.

Anyway: First, an overall class description.

They would be a mix of archer and MAA in their role: Primarily support/harassment, while still useful in a straight-up fight, with their own unique perks and weaknesses.

Secondly, their load-out:

Primary:
    Standard swords set: Broadsword, Falchion, Norse Sword.
    Relatively standard weapons that anyone could and would use in any pseudo-realistic fantasy medieval setting. In fact, I advocate the Vanguard having access to these in place of the out-of-place secondary one-handers set; but that’s just me, and not related to this topic anyway.
    Small weapons amalgam: Flanged Mace, Hatchet, Holy Water Sprinkler.
    A set of small weapons from other MAA weapon sets that I felt fit in; containing a pure blunt, blunt-slash, and blunt-pierce weapon for good variety.
    Extra weapon selections (like the knight’s flails or the MAA quarterstaff): Short-bow and Light Crossbow.
    To make it so that you wouldn’t have no reason to play archer and use these weapons, the Assassin has only around half ammo for both: 10 for the LCB, 20 for the SB.

Secondary:
    Daggers set: Broad Dagger, Hunting Knife, Thrusting Dagger.
    These have special significance over the other secondary set, but we’ll get to that later.
    One-handers set: Short Sword, Sabre, Cudgel.
    Probably useful if you’re using either of the ranged weapons, but you’d be giving up something special; more on that later.

Tertiary:
    Throwing knives, throwing daggers, smoke pots, and extra ammo (5 more ammo for SB or LCB).

Armor values:
    25% slash
    20% pierce
    15% blunt

Speed values:
    Sprint: 320
    Forth: 200
    Strafe: 190
    Backpedal: 180
    Similar to the MAA, but with slightly slower maximum sprint speed, and even faster strafe and backpedaling speed; makes them great at footwork in a fight.

Class quirks:

Positive:

Light: Jumps slightly (20%) farther and slightly (10%) higher than other classes, picks up sprinting momentum 50% faster than MAA/archer.
    The enhanced jumping makes them a bit better at parkour-type moves, and the faster momentum gain means that, while they have less maximum sprint speed than MAA/archer, they’ll be moving at at it a lot more often.

Falling Techniques: Must fall additional meter before taking fall damage, takes 25% less damage from falling.
    Makes silly/serious moves like jumping off a rooftop to shank someone or jumping off the wall on Hillside to get at the lower ballista in TO more viable.

Stealthy: Footsteps are inaudible (unless sprinting, then they are muffled and hard to hear but audible), crouching makes enemy’s crosshairs not turn red or show your name upon looking at you and shrouds* you slightly causing you to blend in with surroundings a bit.
    Makes running around the enemy to flank them a lot easier, and makes hiding in shadows and bushes and the like a viable part of play. *The shroud effect is an optional effect which would make your colors flatten and bleed a bit to blend in with whatever is near you (ground, bushes, wall, etc) to make stealth a more viable option in play (so that you can be not instantly spotted by some people regardless of those shadowy bushes you’re concealed by). This entire quirk does not apply in LTS for anti-frustration reasons.

Negative:

Wimpy: Loses 25% more stamina than MAA/archer from missed attacks and successful blocks.
    Hopefully makes playing this class take more skill.

Bad Luck: Enemies in chase mode keep up with you better.
    You know how you have to look at your target for a bit for chase mode to kick in? Not if that target is an Assassin.

Helmetless: Takes 10% more damage (on top of normal bonus damage) from any attack that hits the head.
    You aren’t wearing a helmet. Ever. Sure, other classes can have their helmet knocked off and it doesn’t affect them, but shut up because reasons.

Conspicuous: Enemies that spot you (look at you for at least 2 seconds while you aren’t standing near bushes/shadows or crouching) will call out that there is an assassin, alerting their team to your presence and deactivating your Stealthy perk.
    Better not screw up your stealthing, bub. Unless you like being chased across the map by half the enemy force.

Class special (like MAA dodge and Vanguard leap): Assassination. While wielding a dagger, assassins can one-shot any class from behind with a quick killmove (throat slit, backstab, etc.). Kings can be back-stabbed, but it will only remove 25% of their health rather than kill them.

Class appearances:
    Hopefully SavageBeatings will come in and whip up some nifty concept art for us.

Agathian:
    Dark gray wool/cloth long pants and shirt, with a thick padded leather armor vest, hood, long leather gauntlets (about 3-4 inches short of the elbow), leather gloves (part of the gauntlets) leather boots, and a blue sash belt. Veteran “helmet” design: As close as you can get to an Assassin’s Creed styled Altair hood without getting hit with a lawsuit.
    The hood should cover/shroud most of the face, and the long shirt sleeves and pant legs should be tucked into their leather gauntlets/boots. The leather glove should have some halved fingers for extra style. Index and thumb on the right hand, and index and middle on the left.

Mason:
    Dark brown cloth robe (slightly shorter robe bottom to not get in the way as much, with leather pants worn underneath), with MAA styled thinner studded leather armor vest with leather spaulders, hood worn drawn back (not wearing the hood, in case that wasn’t clear) with a red cloth face mask, no leather gauntlets/gloves, leather boots, and a red sash belt. Veteran “helmet” design: The hood worn drawn up with some decorative gold threading, and wrapped brown cloth covering the lower face.

The Agathian Assassin should have a style that might remind people of Assassin’s Creed 1 era assassins, while the Mason Assassin should have more of a Persian flair.

I guess I’ll just leave it at this, since I can’t think of anything else to add.
    Except for the fact that, while I decided to do a better job at making an assassin suggestion than others before me, I don’t necessarily actually agree to having the class in the game. Would it be fun to play? Yeah! Would it fit in? Well, at least it wouldn’t necessarily clash. Should it be added? Hell if I know.

Subject to change from additional ideas/input.

• I have read a previous one nearly the same, you mentioned backstab? Well Archer already has that and if you share it with the “Assassin…” It will remove the only skill that helps Archer not die in melee combat and it is basically just a fast class with fast weapons, removing MAA’s role with somebody much faster and stealing his primary weapons for theirs. Anyways the battlefield is no place for cowardly scum like assassins as somebody mentioned Assassins are just hired murderers.

• So a weaker MAA?

• Nay, i say.

• @Riuuii:

I have read a previous one nearly the same, you mentioned backstab? Well Archer already has that and if you share it with the “Assassin…” It will remove the only skill that helps Archer not die in melee combat and it is basically just a fast class with fast weapons, removing MAA’s role with somebody much more overpowered and stealing his primary weapons for theirs. Anyways the battlefield is no place for cowardly scum like assassins as somebody mentioned Assassins are just hired murderers.

The archer has a (possibly out-of-place?) Rogue bonus for +50% damage from behind with any weapon (and sometimes while not even behind your opponent), while the Assassin has a one-shot backstab that can only be done with daggers and while firmly behind your enemy, but also immobilizes him for three or so seconds.

It does not remove MAA’s role. Even the Archer can function like a surrogate MAA. Assassin can to, but certainly does not replace the MAA. MAA has dodge, a larger selection of weapons (Dane Axe, Morningstar), firepots, and the ability to use shields.

That one is debatable, especially when the existence (and missions that involve the killing) of the figures of King Feydrid and Lord Malric are taken into consideration.

• @lemonater47:

So a weaker MAA?

I find it slightly amusing that you said “weaker” yet the poster before you said “stronger”, going so far as to use the term “removing”. Anyway, I don’t necessarily agree with any “so, like X?” statement, because I feel that there could be some overlap between classes without invalidating any of them.

• @Hunutteri:

Nay, i say.

But why say nay, Ser?
    Do you disagree with the whole idea? Some small part of it? Do you feel (which would be wrong in either case) that this class would replace the Archer or MAA?

• I think its perhaps the best of the class suggestions so far.

• Jumping higher could be an issue with reaching places on the map that would allow “exploits”.
    • I would not give them bows, perhaps a hand crossbow and other short range projectiles.
    • I would remove the backstab from the archer and give the archer kick with bow and something else like fast switching to melee weapons. The give the assassin the backstab.
    • Adding climbing ability to special spots on the map would be cool e.g. climb the wall of Citadel or Stoneshill.

It has potential.

• Same melee or worse weapons than maa, an assassin that cant run away!?!? Same throwing weapons and secondaries, and a one shot attack on anyone? What the hell am i reading?

• This is (I think) the only serious attempt to put together an actual assassin class.

It seems fairly balanced, well-thought…. and really annoying. I don’t like the idea of getting one-shotted by anyone. People would abuse this class the way they abuse archer now. I’d hate to log on to a server to see 9 assassins on my team.

@Riuuii:

Anyways the battlefield is no place for cowardly scum like assassins as somebody mentioned Assassins are just hired murderers.

You need to go learn your Middle-Eastern history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin

Though they preferred to operating in the shadows, there are many instances of assassins operating on the battlefield.

• This was a well thought description of an assasin class that sounds like a lot of fun. There are things that I like about it: being able to fall larger distances and jumping higher would add a great new playstyle. I would suggest giving him as a terciary thing a rope that he could shoot with his bow / crossbow up on the fortiffication and climb up.

I also thing the backstab bonus should be given to him and NOT the archer but I really dont like the one-shot ability. I feel that could be terribly exploited.

I would also suggest making him unique in that your team can only have one. It would a great-risk-great-reward class just like an MAA.

• @Seraephus:

This is (I think) the only serious attempt to put together an actual assassin class.

It seems fairly balanced, well-thought…. and really annoying. I don’t like the idea of getting one-shotted by anyone. People would abuse this class the way they abuse archer now. I’d hate to log on to a server to see 9 assassins on my team.

@Riuuii:

Anyways the battlefield is no place for cowardly scum like assassins as somebody mentioned Assassins are just hired murderers.

You need to go learn your Middle-Eastern history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin

Though they preferred to operating in the shadows, there are many instances of assassins operating on the battlefield.

“Middle Eastern” sorry bro Chivalry is European. I think you need to learn a bit more about the game.

• @Ramare:

@Hunutteri:

Nay, i say.

But why say nay, Ser?
    Do you disagree with the whole idea? Some small part of it? Do you feel (which would be wrong in either case) that this class would replace the Archer or MAA?

I say nay, because in my opinion assassins don’t fit medieval battlefield very well.

• “Middle Eastern” sorry bro Chivalry is European

no-its some fantasystuff, not real european.

• @cino:

“Middle Eastern” sorry bro Chivalry is European

no-its some fantasystuff, not real european.

Yep, all the weapons and armour are fantasy?
    You must be new to Chivalry, welcome :)

• i didnt say that Everything is fantasy…the world is fantasy.
    so it is not THAT important if something is european or middle eastern.And if you want to be correct, there shouldnt be weapons from so many timeperiods.(of cause it should fit in the game at least a bit, so a ak47 or a ninja wouldnt be the best idea)

• @Tibberius:

We are not likely to add any new classes to the base version of Chivalry.