About the Falchion

• i always get annoyed when i play a person using the Falchion because sometimes it appears that the blocks dont register. i was looking into the tracers and it seems that what is causing that is a short hitbox portion about a third of the way into the normal lmb swing. what seems to happen is that most of the time i look too far to the left to block the attack because of that little short section, and then as the swing continues the swing reaches out and is able to hit me. I thought i would let you guys know my theory/findings about the falchion and join me in the fight to fix it!!

• Yeah, it’s not just the Falchion, it is any weapon up close which forces you to turn further than you’re normally accustomed to or what you would be required to turn if they were further back. I will always turn about 45 degrees either left or right and things still get through my blocks from time to time. I don’t like the unreliability of parries/blocks in their current state of I’m honest; the notion I might be 1 or 2 degrees out based on range alone makes me dislike the system. It feels too random as to whether that next LMB is going to get through my parry or not despite me fully knowing where that attack is coming from and preparing for it as I would usually do.

• @Martin:

I will always turn about 45 degrees either left or right and things still get through my blocks from time to time.

45 degrees? I don’t remember when you didn’t have to turn 90 degrees, must have been before my time.

• Science has proven the falchion to be quite fruity. The flamboyant curve is a dead giveaway.

• I knew the falchion was broken. Whenever I go up against someone with the falchion I’m like: “You dumb idiot, how dare you to insult my honor with this fucking thing?”

• Falchion is only noteworthy in that it has a very powerful horizontal slash, with no reason to really use the overhead, which has much more reasonable blocking angles up close. All weapons suffer from facehug slashes having much wider blocking angles, but most weapons don’t have such powerful/fast slashes so players don’t use this strategy as much.

• @SlyGoat:

Falchion is only noteworthy in that it has a very powerful horizontal slash, with no reason to really use the overhead

That always bothered me.

I mean both the Falchion and Messer are designed as heavy swords, yet their overheads only do 5 more damage than their horizontals. Shouldn’t heavier weapons benefit even more from the gravity-assist and better-leverage arm position given by the overhead? Not less?

Not to mention that the Falchion’s stab is just as slow as the overhead, with even less damage to boot.

Realism aside, from a gameplay point of view it seems like a poor design choice to have a weapon that literally has only 1 useful attack.
    Heck, even the spears/daggers found a way to have two useful attack types, and those are thrusting weapons with good reason to have limited useful attacks.
    With every other sword in the game all 3 attacks have their uses and require good judgement to choose the right attack for the right moment… the Falchion is the only sword to break this well designed concept of skillfully choosing the correct attack, because the correct attack is always going to be GBA_AltAttack0.

• @Dibbz:

@SlyGoat:

Falchion is only noteworthy in that it has a very powerful horizontal slash, with no reason to really use the overhead

That always bothered me.

I mean both the Falchion and Messer are designed as heavy swords, yet their overheads only do 5 more damage than their horizontals. Shouldn’t heavier weapons benefit even more from the gravity-assist and better-leverage arm position given by the overhead? Not less?

Not to mention that the Falchion’s stab is just as slow as the overhead, with even less damage to boot.

Realism aside, from a gameplay point of view it seems like a poor design choice to have a weapon that literally has only 1 useful attack.
    Heck, even the spears/daggers found a way to have two useful attack types, and those are thrusting weapons with good reason to have limited useful attacks.
    With every other sword in the game all 3 attacks have their uses and require good judgement to choose the right attack for the right moment… the Falchion is the only sword to break this well designed concept of skillfully choosing the correct attack, because the correct attack is always going to be GBA_AltAttack0.

You think that’s bad, what about the flanged mace? Its overhead does exactly the same damage as a slash and is slower!

I used to love the falchion but after everyone told me how broken it was I stopped. I’d love to be able to go back to it.

• You think that’s bad, what about the flanged mace? Its overhead does exactly the same damage as a slash and is slower!

What about hitting the head? Isn’t it dealing more damage and is less predictable to be blocked?

• @Holy.Death:

You think that’s bad, what about the flanged mace? Its overhead does exactly the same damage as a slash and is slower!

What about hitting the head? Isn’t it dealing more damage and is less predictable to be blocked?

That’s certainly true but you can still use a slash to hit the head, almost every other weapon does more damage with an overhead so it seems a little inconsistent, especially when it’s a tiny bit slower to do an overhead. Also it’s less likely to hit.

• I definitely agree with the sentiment that some weapons are too easy to just slash spam with. Something on my list for patch 2.