Maul Balance

• The maul started out as a perfectly balanced risk-reward weapon.
    If you got hit by it, it was your own fault and you were heavily punished accordingly and could be wielded with skill.
    But now it’s too slow, damage vs maa and archer has been nerfed and it needs to be returned to its original stats
    It’s currently totally outclassed by the grand mace in almost every way.
    It’s ability to 2shot knights is now shared by the grand mace, a faster and longer weapon.
    Now, it’s slow to the point of total non-viability in duels and doesn’t even 1shot light classes anywhere on the body.
    This is why we need to bring back the maul to its proper stats
    If you agree with me, post why so we can bring the maul back to it’s proper standing.

• I have to agree, the Maul USED to be a weapon that was slow, short ranged, and deadly in the right hands, and now it has been reduced to a weapon that is so underpowered that it has been completely invalidated in every situation where it might have been useful.

The old maul was a weapon that was dangerous only to players who didn’t know how to deal with it (dodge in and out with fast weapons), the new maul is only dangerous to the fool who decides to use it.

• I’m in total agreement too, Maul is totally outclassed by the grand mace and also every other weapon in the game ever. The combination of the buff to MaA crush defense and the Maul speed nerf just results in something totally unusable. If the most agile class in the game with the most agile weapons is going to be hit by the least agile class in the game with the least agile weapon, they deserve to die. No matter if it hit hem right between the eyes or on his toes. If you screw up that badly as a MaA or archer, you deserve to lose. The Maul’s previously competent use as an anti-knight weapon has been completely removed as well, with the 2shot capability now also given to the Grand Mace. Just to really rub it in, from what I’ve seen while playing the Grand Mace can now 1shot MaA with a hit to the head AS WELL. After this nerf, the Maul is simply outclassed by the Grand Mace. It’s longer, the damage loss is pretty insignificant and it is much, MUCH faster. The only advantage the Maul has now over the Grand Mace is a 1shot Vanguard kill to the face. Torn Banner, this isn’t balance. Please don’t give in to your community constantly QQing. Oh, and as a recommendation to anyone who wanted this nerf, (looking at you archers) try using it now and tell me if you think it’s balanced.

• You guys are all on about HTK’s without going into the actual depht of a weapon.

It is a shame and true that Maul and Grandmace shares the same HTK on a Knight, despite Maul being a very slow weapon and has less reach than the Grandmace, but despite that fact, The Maul has a knock-out ability to take out ANY class that is under 94 HP with one hit. So in most team fights, a well positioned Maul will have a 99% chance of one-hitting their opponents if the overhead lands on their heads, which it mostly do since the attack is a overhead / vertical swing attack.

Also the Maul is a lot slower, which allows more delayed attacks that May get around parries sometimes, whilst the Grandmace is much faster, allowing more close-quarter team battles, So its a decent balance between these two Two-handed Blunt weapons.

I mean if we were all truely obsessed about HTK’s ( Hits to Kill ) then we might aswell just added Poleaxe, Messer, Warhammer and other various two-hitting Knight weapons. (Well to compare Maul to Warhammer may prove a big difference despite different weapon animation and reach.)

But now that the deep explaination is done, I have to agree and say that I miss the times when a well aimed Maul could one-hit a Archer and Man-at arms anywhere at the body, considering its already a hard challange closing into an archer, or aiming for a dodging Man-at arms. Torn Banner has to carefully Buff this weapon so that its HTK on Knight’s head remains the same, cause if they just slightly increased the numbers, then the Maul would one-hit a Knight aswell, a thing I wouldn’t mind really considering its a very slow weapon; so I Yes. I think Maul needs a buff.

• What really needs to happen is weapons need block strength, that mysterious feature that was obviously intended for release but the devs never got around to finishing it. Daggers and shortswords would have very low block strength, and would suffer damage from a Maul overhead even if parried.

• Seriously? A dagger blocks a sword (or whatever) as well as a sword does? Seriously?!

• @Panzerlang:

Seriously? A dagger blocks a sword (or whatever) as well as a sword does? Seriously?!

No the stamina drain is greater on heavier weapons.

• @gregcau:

@Panzerlang:

Seriously? A dagger blocks a sword (or whatever) as well as a sword does? Seriously?!

No the stamina drain is greater on heavier weapons.

To clarify…you mean if I block a blow from a sword with a dagger my stamina will drain faster than if I blocked with a sword?

What happens when my stamina reaches zero, will the next blow from the sword behave as if I am no longer blocking with anything (even though I’m parrying regardless)?

• @Panzerlang:

To clarify…you mean if I block a blow from a sword with a dagger my stamina will drain faster than if I blocked with a sword?

Correct

@Panzerlang:

What happens when my stamina reaches zero, will the next blow from the sword behave as if I am no longer blocking with anything (even though I’m parrying regardless)?

No you can still block but you become “dazed” which means you can’t hit back and each subsequent block will daze you. Effectively you are screwed unless a team mate rescues you.

• Cool. Thanks Greg. :)

• I encourage anyone who thinks there needs to be more penalties for blocking a maul with a dagger to actually try and fight a maul user while wielding a dagger. It’s not fun, trust me. Block two overheads and you’re done - you really have to rely on flinching those slow attacks and do your best not to get parried, which gives him the chance to counterattack, meaning you must block it and lose half your stamina bar. Meanwhile you need to land four or five hits to kill him, giving you a lot of room for error.

There are definitely some tweaks that can be made, though. I personally feel it’s too harsh on the lightest weapons right now - but at the same time, it could be heavier on medium and heavy weapons. Blocking a maul overhead should take a big chunk of stamina out of even another maul user.

• How does a dagger ever lose? Unless the guy wielding it is in heavy armour? I’ve faced daggers a few times now and the speed is ridiculous. No, not the weapon speed, though that is high…I’m talking about the archer using it. Whippet anyone?

:lolz:

• @Panzerlang:

How does a dagger ever lose? Unless the guy wielding it is in heavy armour? I’ve faced daggers a few times now and the speed is ridiculous. No, not the weapon speed, though that is high…I’m talking about the archer using it. Whippet anyone?
    :lolz:

lol I know what you mean, I’ve succumbed to those little slashers and stabbers many times, especially if injured. The attacks are fast and if they are lmb comboing you have to turn 90 degrees to get the parry in. But when you do get the parry in they are dead (most of the time).

Just try to stay out of their range in the first place because they will just make a bee line for your face.

• A dagger will always lose a endurance fight with Maul and a couple of other large weapons.
    Stamina cost with parry on Dagger / Small weapons
    Dagger: 7
    1h: 15
    2h: 35
    Maul: 35

For each time you parry with your dagger, you’d lose around 7-35 stamina depending on the weapon, which is very crucical if you are going to perform feints and ect, and you can also get dazed after four successful parries. So that a small weapon can parry such weapon as a Maul works pretty alright, considering the high stamina cost.

96% accurate stamina block cost list:

! Buckler Shield
    ! Fist: 8
    ! 1h: 17
    ! 2h: 21
    ! Maul: 31
    !
    ! Heather Shield
    ! Fist: 7
    ! 1h: 15
    ! 2h 18
    ! Maul: 23
    !
    ! Kite shield
    ! Fist: 4
    ! 1h: 13
    ! 2h: 17
    ! Maul: 25
    !
    ! Tower shield
    ! Fist: 5
    ! 1h: 11
    ! 2h: 14
    ! Maul: 20
    !
    ! One-hander
    ! 1h: 7
    ! 2h: 7
    ! Maul: 35
    !
    ! Two-hander
    !
    ! Maul
    !
    ! Dagger
    ! 1h: 15
    ! 2h: 35
    ! Maul: 35

• Why in the heck is a thread with BALANCE in the title here?….

Moved to the BALANCE and Game Mechanics section.

• Is no one saying anything about the fact it got made slower? And that now it’s 1shot on lights is shared by the grand mace? Nothing? Okay.

• I think one shotting MAA and archers in the torso would be a fine buff. Otherwise, I am content with the maul. Speed wise, it is just fine, but comparing it to the grand mace, it is inferior stat wise, but cool points matter and the maul wins by a landslide in that department.