Hand Preference

• Ever since the implementation of alternate attacks, I have had the idea to also give the user the option to choose primary hand. Simply, alternate attacks would become primary attacks if the person was left handed. Recently, I have fielded this idea to some people, and most have criticized that it will unnecessarily over-complicate the code. However, allow me to promulgate why I believe this would be a game-changing alteration. Essentially, shields are always held in the left hand, therefore, alternate horizontal swings are utilized excessively to circumvent this impediment to incoming attacks. By allowing people to choose their primary hand, left handed players would mix up the game, making for more unique battles where people are not automatically assuming an alternate swing will pass guard. Of course, an experienced player will be able to block from either side, but by doing this, everyone will have to choose and adjust their tactics on a case-by-case basis. Furthermore, this change will cause overheads and stabs to experience slight angle changes, causing the game to become more nuanced. In summation, do not allow us to fall victim to the proclaimed heresy of the past, allow the left handers safe passage in the glory of Chivalry’s goodness.

What say you public?

• Lefties die faster than right-handed people. I don’t recommend this.

• I think when you want to mirror animations in the UDK, you have to essentially create the game with it in mind, otherwise it becomes more work than it should much later down the line with changing various things.

• @dudeface:

Lefties die faster than right-handed people. I don’t recommend this.

Yeah, this :P

Most people are right handed. Therefore they use the weapon with the right hand and the shield with the left hand. Therefore they always protect themselves from attacks coming from the left, since their opponent is right handed, and they will have their own attacks from the right blocked by their opponents shield which is held in his left hand.

Now, if your opponent is left handed and held the sword and shield reversed, he could of course be swinging his sword on the side where his enemy has no shield and needs to parry your attack with his sword. But the same goes for you. The enemy will hack at your unprotected side and you will need to parry with your sword. So having a shield is rather useless in this situation.

What it probably was better used for was two-handed weapons, so you attacked your opponent on his unprotected side and he had to parry your heavy blows with his sword or turn the entire body to block with his shield and leave his back open for your friends… but you don’t need to be left handed for this.

• I agree this would be cool - worth the effort is another story. Really what bugs me is that your stab always comes from the right. I’d like to be able to stab and have it come from the left. So I’d like to see an alt stab added (there isn’t one for MAA, im assuming that is the case with other classes?).

For one handed weapons, you could make the alt stab two handed, come from the left, a little bit slower but do a little more damage.

• In response to SavageBeatings, let me say left handed players will not have an overt advantage. You assert that people swinging with a left hand, will automatically be able to attack the non-shield side of an opponent, however, let’s analyze the opposite hypothesis of this issue. Simply, if there are left-handed players, then, they will automatically be vulnerable to the right-handed primary swing. By orienting the battles in this fashion, people will have to pick and choose the appropriate alternative or primary horizontal swing to initiate the attack per adversary. Mystikkal buttresses the advantage of this alteration, in noting the intricacies in battle introduced by an altered forward stab angle. As for the issue of complicating code, I do not believe mirroring the right swing or duplicating existing variables would necessarily be extremely difficult to implement. I mean let’s be honest, when the game launched there was only a one-swing option, but alternative swings changed the whole ebb and flow of the game. If we make this change, it will add more complexity to the mechanics, leading to higher plateaus of mastery.

• @SoMe1337GuY:

In response to SavageBeatings, let me say left handed players will not have an overt advantage. You assert that people swinging with a left hand, will automatically be able to attack the non-shield side of an opponent, however, let’s analyze the opposite hypothesis of this issue. Simply, if there are left-handed players, then, they will automatically be vulnerable to the right-handed primary swing.

I never said left-handers would have an advantage. I mentioned, just like you did, that the right-handed opponent will be able to strike the left-handed guys unshielded side with his primary attack, just like the left-hander will be able to strike the right-handers unshielded side with his primary attack. For these two guys being able to block, they either have to do that with their sword, which is trickier, or turn their entire body to reach with the shield. I imagine a duel between a right-hander and a left-hander, if they both have sword and shield, would just be trickier for both of them. Since both would have equally hard time to block with their shield (since in this game you can’t block with your sword if you have a shield). Now, would the left-handed guy have like a big two-handed axe and were to fight a right-handed guy with sword and shield, that would actually be to the left-handed guys advantage. Since the lefty can still parry just as well two-handed, but he has the advantage of striking the opponents sword side, which will take much more effort to parry on his part.

• @SavageBeatings:

@SoMe1337GuY:

In response to SavageBeatings, let me say left handed players will not have an overt advantage. You assert that people swinging with a left hand, will automatically be able to attack the non-shield side of an opponent, however, let’s analyze the opposite hypothesis of this issue. Simply, if there are left-handed players, then, they will automatically be vulnerable to the right-handed primary swing.

I never said left-handers would have an advantage. I mentioned, just like you did, that the right-handed opponent will be able to strike the left-handed guys unshielded side with his primary attack, just like the left-hander will be able to strike the right-handers unshielded side with his primary attack. For these two guys being able to block, they either have to do that with their sword, which is trickier, or turn their entire body to reach with the shield. I imagine a duel between a right-hander and a left-hander, if they both have sword and shield, would just be trickier for both of them. Since both would have equally hard time to block with their shield (since in this game you can’t block with your sword if you have a shield). Now, would the left-handed guy have like a big two-handed axe and were to fight a right-handed guy with sword and shield, that would actually be to the left-handed guys advantage. Since the lefty can still parry just as well two-handed, but he has the advantage of striking the opponents sword side, which will take much more effort to parry on his part.

Except it doesn’t take more effort to block one side vs the other no matter where you hold your shield in this game, so all this is irrelevant.

• @Daiyuki:

Except it doesn’t take more effort to block one side vs the other no matter where you hold your shield in this game, so all this is irrelevant.

It doesn’t? Gee, why am I having such a hard time with these people who manage to get through my shield on my right side? I thought the point of the alt slash was to make it easier to surpass people’s shields, and I am using it successfully for that purpose.

• I think it would add a good amount of variety! If it’s not too much trouble it should absolutely be implemented!

• since i’m right handed… i prefer the left… it feels like someone new

• I had a think about this and I think it’d be a pretty awesome idea actually, although not sure how it’d be possible to balance with shields and what not. Although with alternate attacks being as common as they are now, maybe using a sword and board left handed would be more of an advantage?