Branching objectives

• Right now every map has a linear objective system. It would be cool if the future maps had a little bit more paralell objectives. From one point the objective line could branch off depending on whether the attacking team succeded.

:)

• I have been thinking this as well. And i think it’s a nice idea :)

• Bump.

I think this would be amazing.

Possibly even a scenario like this:

Attacker and Defender start out in “middle” objective. If the Attacker loses, they get pushed back. If the defender loses, they get pushed back. Upon winning, the A/D will move forward.

If the attacker loses on the first objective, the next one where they are pushed back is a sort of death match, to simulate the attacker being pushed back, then the forces eliminated.

It’ll be like a game of Risk with two teams.

• This all sounds spectacular. TO used to be my most played gamemode, but as said before it had became to linear. So a revamp in adding new branching objectives would be awesome mostly the thought of having a different match on the same map gets me excited already, I hope Torn Banner see what they can do here

• you can also make 2 ways to go for the same objective it will be awesome…
    lets say in stoneshill on the 2nd objective you need to push the ram to the gate to enter the castle and kill the king maybe you could enter either from the main gate with the ram or from the gate in the river to the right of the attacking team and pull it up just like in darkforest’s 3rd objective

• Posted this in another thread, could just as well post it here too:

I think there should be some Team Objective maps where both sides could take a defensive and agressive role. Like both sides have two team-objectives instead of one.

So there’s one agressive objective and one defensive objective for both sides. Like “Defend the walls” for Team A, but they also have “Stop Team B reinforcements from coming through the mountain pass”. So Team B has, of course, “Scale the ladders, take the walls!”, which they do by raising the main gate. But they also have “Stop Team A from moving the powder cart to the top of the mountain pass”.

So say Team A manage to sabotage the mountain pass, the Team B spawn is pressed back a bit. Team A’s other objective is now to “Kill the workers digging a tunnel beneath the walls” while Team B has to “Defend the workers!” at the same time as “Scale the ladders!”… If Team B succeds with either objective, they move forward. If they don’t, they lose when timer is out.

When Team B has the walls, their next agressive objective would be to “Take the keep” which they do by moving a ram to the gate. Their defensive objective would be to either “Stop Team A from caving in the tunnel” or “Stop Team A from pushing down the ladders and lowering the main gate”, it depends on which objective Team B won by. So that means Team A’s defensive objective is “Stop the ram from getting to the keep” while their agressive objective is “Drive Team B out of the castle” which is done by either, as I said, blowing up the tunnel or lowering the main gate.

See what I’m getting at?

And this example here is rather simple. The defensive and agressive objectives could branch away even further, and I hope Torn Banner does something like this. You know, not too straight-forward objectives. Giving players choices.

• i dont know about the 2 objectives for each team as a defending and attacking i think it will just make each team into 2 teams and what will you do with the spawn?
    if you spawn closer to one objective the other one will be deserted.
    that’s a great idea but it need some polishing…

• @Yoaw:

i dont know about the 2 objectives for each team as a defending and attacking i think it will just make each team into 2 teams and what will you do with the spawn?
    if you spawn closer to one objective the other one will be deserted.
    that’s a great idea but it need some polishing…

Of course you should spawn with equal distance to both objectives or at least there should be a few spawn points that have equal distance to both objectives.

Both objectives should be useful to do. Of course the defensive objectives are the most important for the team defending the castle, and the aggressive objectives the most important for those attacking the castle. But going all the way and blow up the mountain passage is a nice little bonus that will set the other team back, but not win over them. And for that team to dig a tunnel instead of scaling the walls seems like a good option if the defending team is really good at holding walls.

Of course the team will split into smaller teams. What’s wrong with that? That’s tactics. “You guys hold the walls while a few of us try and stop that tunnel from being made!” But don’t make one team too big, or the lesser one might be overrun by the enemy. You have to think more about what objective you persue. This kind of map would probably work better on private servers rather than public ones, where people don’t use teamplay as much.

Oh, and btw, people already kind of split into groups do other “objectives”. Not everyone helps push the cart in Dark Forest. Many go around and flank the archers, for example, or try to keep a clear path. It’s just that those “objectives” are kind of logical battlefield thinking and just involve killing enemies so that they can’t kill us. Blowing up a mountain pass so that enemies can’t kill us, or stop a tunnel from being dug so that enemies can’t kill us is a little more… varied.

• no in darkforest the teams split because some just want to kill and some think i will do the objective on a random server you cant “control” people just like you want if someone will say to a group in the team go do that most of em will say “i will do what i want this is a game” so that why it’s only going to work on clans or tournaments.
    also the objective of blowing up a mountain passage will be awesome but if the enemy just made a comeback after the mountain has been exploed…? how to you capture that base? you cant revers the blow up, maybe if you will be able to push some wooden spikes to put to block it again than it might work but i find it hard to believe that this will happend in the near future

• it would kind of be played like capture the flag where you have something you need to defend… and something you need to attack. That would be kind of cool. I don’t think you would necessarily even have ot have different spawn points, each teacm could start on either side, have the same objectives to go after, and it’d be a race to who can finish first. Catch is, it’d be a constant push battle the farther the objective goes along… you’d have people both attacking and defending… it would require a significant push.

• all the ideas are great but im afriad that you didnt understood what i mean…
    lets say there is a map with 4 objective all of them are revers able as opening gate and so on…
    both team deploy in the 2 close bases as such
    base 1 : nutral
    base 2: mason
    base 3: agatha
    base 4: nutral

now after deploying both teams will try to get the other team’s base that will be the objective.
    lets say mason got the agatha base and now they control it so then the bases will be like this

base 1: nutral
    base 2: nutral
    base 3: mason
    base 4:agatth

so now after the mason have control on the 3rd base the deployment for the agatha is in the 4th base, they retreted and the mason’s deployment is the 3rd base.

if the agatha makes a comeback they gain the 3rd base and push the mason to the 2nd and if the mason push the agatha from the 4th base then the agatha team lose…
    whoever have less bases for them to fallback to will lose when the round ends.

• @Yoaw:

no in darkforest the teams split because some just want to kill and some think i will do the objective on a random server you cant “control” people just like you want if someone will say to a group in the team go do that most of em will say “i will do what i want this is a game” so that why it’s only going to work on clans or tournaments.

Then I guess I play Team Objective wrong on public servers. In Dark Forest, Agathians usually put archers in good locations. What I do, if I see enough people got the cart covered, is that I run up and chop down the archers that are pinning them down. Not just because I want to kill them (which I gladly do, they are both archers and Agathians) but I am actually helping my team out by flanking enemies that are haltering our process in some way. Sure, that’s all you do in this game though - kill kill kill. Whether you do it for fun or for the sake of the objective, it will get you closer to the goal of winning the map if you are good at it.

My suggestions is to make it more than just “kill enemies, win game”.

also the objective of blowing up a mountain passage will be awesome but if the enemy just made a comeback after the mountain has been exploed…? how to you capture that base? you cant revers the blow up, maybe if you will be able to push some wooden spikes to put to block it again than it might work but i find it hard to believe that this will happend in the near future

As I said, you blow up the mountain pass to stop the enemy reinforcements from coming that way. You pretty much knock their spawn back a bit, but it’s risky since you need to be leaving your defensive position on the walls to do this, and meanwhile the other team might take the walls. And if they take the walls before you block the mountain pass, you won’t be able to push their spawn back.

It’s nothing the other team can take back, like digging a new mountain pass or something. They just lose the Defensive Objective but still have to go on with their Agressive Objective. That’s the point of my idea - being able to lose an objective as the attacking team but not losing the match.

Look at it like this - The Defensive Objective is optional for the attacking team, and the Agressive Objective is optional for the defending team. If the teams want to, they can persue them, but their main objectives will be “Attack the castle” and “Defend the castle”.

@Yoaw:

all the ideas are great but im afriad that you didnt understood what i mean…
    lets say there is a map with 4 objective all of them are revers able as opening gate and so on…
    both team deploy in the 2 close bases as such
    base 1 : nutral
    base 2: mason
    base 3: agatha
    base 4: nutral

now after deploying both teams will try to get the other team’s base that will be the objective.
    lets say mason got the agatha base and now they control it so then the bases will be like this

base 1: nutral
    base 2: nutral
    base 3: mason
    base 4:agatth

so now after the mason have control on the 3rd base the deployment for the agatha is in the 4th base, they retreted and the mason’s deployment is the 3rd base.

if the agatha makes a comeback they gain the 3rd base and push the mason to the 2nd and if the mason push the agatha from the 4th base then the agatha team lose…
    whoever have less bases for them to fallback to will lose when the round ends.

If I understand this right, it sounds like something I’ve seen in other games too. It’s kind of like both teams start at their Headquarters, then they work their way up to capture Outposts (in other games, you pretty much raise your flag or something) and eventually you will meet the enemy team in the middle. Now what you do is trying to take over the other teams Outpost while actively defending your own. If you manage to take an outpost over, you will push that team back to their previous Outpost. You continue to do so until you take their Headquarters and the team is eliminated.

So it could look like this:

A–—O–—O––O––O––O––M

A is Agatha, M is Mason and O is the neutral Outposts. They work their ways up by conquering their closest Outposts, and then the next one, and then the next one…

A–—O–—O––O––O––O––M

A–—O–—O––O––O––O––M

A–—O–—O––O––O––O––M

A–—O–—O––O––O––O––M

A–—O–—O––O––O––O––M

MASON ORDER WINS!

I see this working best as its own Game Mode rather than “branching objectives” in Team Objective.