Vanguard charge attack

• The charge attack trumps every other attack as soon as it is initiated as far as I can tell. I’ve hit guys in the head with the maul as they are just starting the charge and it doesn’t phase them a bit. Its already an advantage to have the charge attack, but for it to also be un-interruptable makes it pretty frustrating to deal with.

• @aerational:

The charge attack trumps every other attack as soon as it is initiated as far as I can tell. I’ve hit guys in the head with the maul as they are just starting the charge and it doesn’t phase them a bit. Its already an advantage to have the charge attack, but for it to also be un-interruptable makes it pretty frustrating to deal with.

It’s actually quite easy to get around a charge attack, because you can side step it and what not. Plus you can see a mile away when a vanguard is going to do a charge attack, so you can already be prepared for it (unless of course, he does it in my back xD)

Read about what we’re going to be doing with sprint attacks in the next patch: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=13443

• Any veteran will tell you that charge attack is pretty bad. In fact I can recall beats saying to a teammate after they died in a scrim “did you really just use a charge attack? in a scrim? really?”

If you cant get out of the way of it, just block it. They can’t feint it, so it’s easy to block.

And if you manage to get out of the way, you have an easy hit on them. Just takes some practice

• @Mystikkal:

Any veteran will tell you that charge attack is pretty bad. In fact I can recall beats saying to a teammate after they died in a scrim “did you really just use a charge attack? in a scrim? really?”

If you cant get out of the way of it, just block it. They can’t feint it, so it’s easy to block.

And if you manage to get out of the way, you have an easy hit on them. Just takes some practice

I hate it when I “accidentally” do a charge attack, because I’m ALWAYS sprinting and then oops, there’s an attack lol. I never expect it and it usually gets me in trouble.

• Why does TBS implement useless features? You guys wasted all this time animating the charge yet made it useless. At least make it unblockable for the low damage it does.

• Sprint attack is a pub-only mechanic, effective against newbies and anyone who isn’t currently paying attention (e.g. it’s great for getting one-shots on archers you flank, depending on your weapon).

People often point to sprint attack being pointless in scrims as being evidence of Vanguards lacking a defining ability/reason to play, but that really doesn’t make much sense. Vanguards get armour that provides good protection from non-piercing damage and access to the most massive primary weapons. Even without Sprint Attack playing a role Vanguards are still a popular class in high level competitive play, so it’s not an issue of the class being underpowered without being able to effectively use a sprint attack.

The usefulness of sprint attacks depends entirely on the weapon in question…

The Claymore and Zweihander sprint attacks are fairly useless as they deal basically the same damage as a regular horizontal, but the Greatsword’s sprint attack is good for archer execution as it can one shot them to the torso.

One-handed axes have sprint attacks that hit like freight trains (especially the War Axe… 130 damage. That’s higher base damage than the Maul overhead!), but the attack is extremely awkward and hard to aim.

Most of the polearm/spear type weapons have a good sprint attack which is fairly accurate and powerful. A notable exception to this is the Brandistock, whose overhead does just as much damage.
    The Spear, Halberd and Pole Hammer (and the Flag) have sprint attacks which can one-shot Vanguards to the head, which means that if you can bait them into attacking while you’re sprinting at them and aim carefully you can win a hit-trade for a kill, possibly without losing any HP if you’re attack lands first. (Maybe here is potential for some crazy yet possibly effective use of sprint attacks in scrims? People don’t expect you to sprint attack, and if you get within a certain distance of the enemy without making a move they’ll probably take a swing knowing that they can hit you before windup is done if you start to attack at that point… however as sprint attacks are uninterruptible you’ll end up both being hit but they’ll be one-shotted)

• @SlyGoat:

We’re going to be substantially buffing the sprint attack in Patch 2, making them generally much faster to execute and recover from - and in addition, we’ll be normalizing the balance between weapons.

The stat buffs will be pretty straightforward, but we’ll beta different changes to see what feels right. Normalizing sprint attacks between weapons is important because it feels crappy to have your class special’s power dictated by the weapon you’re using; a Man-at-Arms’ dodge distance doesn’t depend on what weapon he’s using, after all. There’ll still be diversity between weapon types with regard to speed, damage and damage type - so that the sprint attack of different weapon types will have different strengths and weaknesses, just like other attacks do - but it won’t be like it is now where some can one-shot vanguards and others can’t even one-shot archers.

I can only hope this will happen. Preferably I would just get rid of the lunge, it’s inability to even aim it in mid flight is silly. The whole mechanic and animation is silly as they slide, swing and totally vulnerable. Just get rid of it and parse out more damage per weapon in the various attacks. Like more damage to given to stab.

As of right now the stupid lunge is too easy to defend against and get around and it doesn’t even 1 shot an archer from behind most of the time.

• i saw some hopeful changes for upcoming patches… increased release time, increased recovery time, etc. The vanguard charge is like… a suicide move against experienced players… you can be hit once while charging… and then finished off during recovery. If you miss… you’re lucky to survive afterward lol. It’s also SUPER easy to parry it.

Def needs a buff and not a nerf IMO

• just remove it, it is stupid. increase stab damage on pole arms, and side swing damage, possibly nerf or slow down the overhead on some. problem solved.

• I think its fine and compliments the vanguards ability to flank the enemy team. I land most of them because I know to use them only from the side or behind. If it always landed from the front too it would be way over powered but thats what people expect from it either they want it to land on enemys that see it coming or to just remove it. I think it just needs a small damage increase because im tired of impaling archers with my full speed and body weight behind it and not killing them.

• The thing I find annoying is that it replaces the standard swing, would be so cool if instead it would be moved to the one button dodge key…

• If for some reason you really want to open with a standard horizontal, and won’t settle for an Alt+LMB alternate-horizontal then you could do something like parry the air a couple seconds before you engage the enemy in order to reset your charge timer.

• Yeah? And lose that tasty full sprint? Naaaaaaaaah.

• Oh, my bad, didn’t realise parrying reset your sprint speed. Guess I didn’t notice since the animation doesn’t indicate you coming out of sprint.

I suppose the only way to cancel the charge attack without losing speed would be to switch weapons, but that takes some time.

I although I don’t see how it’s really worth it unless you really want to get around a shield to the right as the first thing you do sprinting into battle, and don’t want to try to use an overhead to do it, which I’m not sure is a situation that could actually exist.

• I hate the charge attack so much. Sometimes I fire it off by mistake and just die a horrible, humiliating death.