MAA and Dodge

• I suggest the following augmentations to MAA’s dodge ability:

-Make it take a little more stamina
    -Slow down the movement for a dodge. Right now, it looks like they just teleport
    -Remove the forwards and backwards dodge or nerf them compared to the other dodges

That is all. Good day warriors!

Edit: Deleted the story and edited suggestion slightly

• @Event:

but more skilled MAA know how to use their dodge more effectively and as such, me being a less-skilled player, usually die before they run out of stamina.

This is a joke right? Lets sum up your statement: good MAAs beat me with the dodge because im not that good and therefore we should nerf the MAA dodge.

I thought I visited the Chivalry forums, not comedycentral.com. ;)

• It was merely an anecdote and not the reason I wanted dodge nerfed. It just seems weird that they can back out of literally any attack then come back in and LMB you to death. There are probably counters to that but I’m not aware of them.

The main problem I see is that it takes way too little stamina which promotes spamming of the dodge maneuvers.

• Correct me if im wrong but i think MaA dodge is getting nerfed in the next balance patch

Its badly needed also, retardedly easy to play for the amount of power it gives

• @CRUSHED:

Correct me if im wrong but i think MaA dodge is getting nerfed in the next balance patch

Its badly needed also, retardedly easy to play for the amount of power it gives

Yeah, MAA is the only class that gives me nightmares.

Right now it’s no different to the Pre-CR1 Age of Chivalry update where a Man-at-arms could stab you and spin-jump backwards so your attack missed, then they’d come back for a second stab while you were in ‘recovery’ (although technically recovery didn’t exist, as it was all one animation). Nerfed for obvious reasons. The huge bonus MAA have right now though is the ability to dodge forward enhancing the range of their weapons. I’d be perfectly content with dodge in it’s current form if it was actually used for dodging, as opposed to getting in range/expanding range extremely quickly (extremely unlikely now the game is released though) and there were a couple of added states you couldn’t dodge in such as flinches/dazes (hopefully likely).

• It looks like it’s getting slowed down a bit in the next patch. That should make it feel more like fancy footwork and less like teleporting.

It should make it less useful for getting up close to people as well, although it might be a good idea to have dodging interrupt attacks if you try and dodge during a windup as well.

• Dodge already takes more stamina than feint.

The nerf they mentioned in the ask TBS subforum talked about slightly nerfing the speed of the dodge, so that it doesn’t look like teleporting; that’s fine.

IDK though, maybe ya’ll should play maa more often. Whenever I play knight or vanguard, MAAs don’t give me trouble at all, except one dude. Maybe I’m psychic.

it might be a good idea to have dodging interrupt attacks if you try and dodge during a windup as well.

All I know is that they should be very careful on how they nerf MAA. With range being way too valuable as it is in team play. It would suck to see most of the short range weapons in an MAA’s arsenal be not viable anymore. Not to mention, the suggestion here in quotes would completely make the entire arsenal useless.

Fire pots already got heavily nerfed; still not sure why people think MAA needs nerf when everyone spams knights in competitive 8v8 TOs and whatnot. :o :o

• Dodge will be slowed down in patch 2 - to what degree will depend on the feedback we get on the beta.

And of course, definitely removing the ability to dodge while dazed.

• MaA is the most underpowered niche class in comp right now I think. (Yes, biased opinion)

MaA are designed to take advantage of enemy player mistakes and slower weapons but in the current state of the game, if someone with a SoW misses a swing, they can instantly parry with combo-feint-parry, making the MaA’s superior speed pretty much useless.

• @Mystikkal:

@Event:

but more skilled MAA know how to use their dodge more effectively and as such, me being a less-skilled player, usually die before they run out of stamina.

This is a joke right? Lets sum up your statement: good MAAs beat me with the dodge because im not that good and therefore we should nerf the MAA dodge.

I thought I visited the Chivalry forums, not comedycentral.com. ;)

Of course here come the MAA lovers who defend faulty game mechanics rather than try to improve the game objectively. MAA dodge is overpowered and looks retarded.

• @NabsterHax:

MaA is the most underpowered niche class in comp right now I think. (Yes, biased opinion)

MaA are designed to take advantage of enemy player mistakes and slower weapons but in the current state of the game, if someone with a SoW misses a swing, they can instantly parry with combo-feint-parry, making the MaA’s superior speed pretty much useless.

Who knows, maybe with the new feint changes that might indirectly buff MAA in the competitive scene. As of now, the only reason to bring a MAA is for fire pots, since knights are a prime target for firepots.

Personally, I would like to see fire-pots be used as an area denying tool instead of burn damage. As of now, they do fire damage, but also do damage over time if you stand in the fire. I think removal of the fire damage, but increasing the radius and damage over time by a lot would make it a more interesting tool.

@Magnificent:

Of course here come the MAA lovers who defend faulty game mechanics rather than try to improve the game objectively. MAA dodge is overpowered and looks retarded.

If MAA is overpowered, why would most teams rather use 4 knights in an 8v8 TO, instead of 4 MAA? Most 8v8s have 1 MAA, sometimes 2. Lg is the only clan I know of that uses 3 (when they can, and they don’t always do it). As far as harassment goes, archers got maa’s beat in most situations.

• Indeed.
    MaA in scrims and competitions are very niche - a lot of the time people who main MaA will switch out to knight because as MaA they are getting taken out too quickly and don’t have enough crowd control and damage output to make enough of a difference.
    “We have too many MaA, someone switch classes” is a common phrase, uttered even when there’s only 2 MaA on the team, whilst “we have too many knights” is rare indeed.

MaA are very mobile, but so are Vanguards/Knights with chase-boost constantly enabled during the fight whose base sprint speed isn’t much below MaA/Archer’s to begin with. A knight or vanguard can chase down and invalidate attempts to dodge away from attacks, especially with correct use of feints to zone the MaA out.
    As fast as dodge is during the brief travel it’s slower than chase-boost sprinting over the course of a mere second.

• @Dibbz:

Indeed.
    MaA in scrims and competitions are very niche - a lot of the time people who main MaA will switch out to knight because as MaA they are getting taken out too quickly and don’t have enough crowd control and damage output to make enough of a difference.
    “We have too many MaA, someone switch classes” is a common phrase, uttered even when there’s only 2 MaA on the team, whilst “we have too many knights” is rare indeed.

MaA are very mobile, but so are Vanguards/Knights with chase-boost constantly enabled during the fight whose base sprint speed isn’t much below MaA/Archer’s to begin with. A knight or vanguard can chase down and invalidate attempts to dodge away from attacks, especially with correct use of feints to zone the MaA out.
    As fast as dodge is during the brief travel it’s slower than chase-boost sprinting over the course of a mere second.

As one who’s never played competitive Chivalry, you do bring up some good points. Maybe that type of style isn’t where MAA shines.

Their true power is in duels and free for alls. In duels, they can take full advantage of their mobility. In free for alls, it’s the same concept. They’re able to run around fairly quickly taking down target after target.

However it is true that MAA may not have enough mobility to be useful in other places. Perhaps something can be done with the weapons of MAA and possibly make them sprint a little faster or something. Personally I don’t notice any different in sprint speeds of different classes.

• MAA just don’t hold up well on the front lines are were never designed too. They can’t defend an objective as well as a Shield Knight because they need room to maneuver if they are to survive. They are a support class to the front lines, dodging in for a quick hit or using their speed to flank. An MAA is a great 2v1 partner, probably moreso than a Spear Vanguard because of the unpredictability and the fact that they are always a threat due to dodge and fast weapons.

Obviously you want the most front line fighters you can have for a good backbone, so taking the maximum amount of Knights you are allowed is the logical choice. I would like to see a scrim with 8 Knights vs a more typical setup like 4 Knights, 2 Vanguards, 1 Archer, 1 MAA. I think the varied setup will have the advantage if played right, the Knight setup will have the advantage in a direct straight-up brawl, but it would be interesting regardless.

• i like the changes made in the beta, and since more maa’s are having issues, i wouldn’t mind giving them a little armor buff or something. but i do think the dodging needed a bit of a nerf, especially in duels and such.

• Dodge needs a stamina nerf or a cooldown nerf and not slowed down lol. Totally useless change.

• A stamina nerf for the dodge, would be so ridiculous and unfair since maa dodge already use more stamina than feint and the maa have to couple that with feint, jump and block who cost more stamina for him since you block big sword with a little sword……

Maa is fine like this, other class have already big avantage for winning such as fast parry/spam feint/ reach, stop blaming the game is you can’t win with that.

• MaA are already squeezed for stamina as it is. Trying to incorporate dodge, parry and feint into an MaA play style will leave you with no stamina even after 1 kill if the enemy is good. MaA need their speed to be an actual advantage again - they need to be able to land quick attacks on enemies that make mistakes, and the only way to do that is to make it so when enemies miss their swings they are forced into a vulnerable state for longer than a millisecond.

With the current state of combo-feint-parries and other similar mechanics, it’s pretty much impossible for MaA to be dangerous. They have less range than a knight, less health than a knight, and basically no speed advantage. The dodge also isn’t good enough to get you out of most attacks when the enemy sprints at you, which is made easier by the auto-on sprint in recent patches.

MaA should be damage dealers - they have virtually no health. Right now in comp 5v5, anything is better than an MaA.

• i think changes need to be made individually somehow per game type. There are two trains of thought…
    Dueling and Team modes. Both are played much differently, and in duels the MAA seem to have a lot of power, with not as much skill required. In team based, the dodging nerf will hurt them a lot.

I like the idea of firepots doing area holding rather than direct damage. The damage is also nice though because it causes panic, you can hit more than one person and really get a nice push going with them… direct hits don’t work correctly. Would be cool to test an area of damage making pushes better with firepots.

• @clayton-bigsby:

i think changes need to be made individually somehow per game type.

definitely agree

I like the idea of firepots doing area holding rather than direct damage. The damage is also nice though because it causes panic, you can hit more than one person and really get a nice push going with them… direct hits don’t work correctly. Would be cool to test an area of damage making pushes better with firepots.

In the current state, fire pots are pretty good at blinding the enemy, but at the same time, you can’t tell what the person on fire is doing either, due to all the particles covering their weapon and hiding their animations.