Shield Breaking

• If a shield takes enough damage, it should break. Would be interesting and add a cool element to the game, and allow for more varied play styles. It should definitely be a reasonable amount, and variable per shield type.

• Breaking shields ?
    That’s kinda encouraging people to not absorb damage with it…
    What’s the next step ? Damaged weapons ?

• There should absolutly be shield breaking -it would not make sense if you could hold the shield up all game and absorb unlimted dmg- It sounds annoying- Take a look at Warband -perfect set up for shields so they are not used as crutches-

• Yeah, in Warband… some folks just keep their shields up all the time. Your only chance to hit them is to destroy their shield. That’s necessary

• I wouldn’t like that feature personally, it doesn’t really add anything to the game, there are already counters to shield whores.

Also, this is NOT m&b.

• Constantly blocking with your shield drains stamina quickly, and there are numerous ways around a shield.

• Mount & Blade Warband has the best melee system ever made, it has shield breaking and it stops people from turtling. Knowing you’re going up against a 2 hander, you need to make some moves to kill him quick and stop him from getting in those attacks. Invincible shields seems a bit… easy.

• I don’t think we need breakable shields. Shields were not overpowered in AoC and i don’t think they will be in CMW, but i think they would be quite underwhelming if they could break.

• @haarp:

Mount & Blade Warband has the best melee system ever made

Stopped reading there.

• I think breaking shields would only do the game good. Basically, anything that encourages a player to not turtle and to play aggressively is a good thing imo. If shields are destructable, that’s just one extra reason for players with a shield to try and take the fight in their own hands :)

• There are enough ways to counter a shield whore presently, and there is the stamina factor discouraging people from hiding behind their shield forever.

The only shields that should be breakable, but it would need alot of balancing to not render them useless, are the pavise shields once they are planted on the ground, because from what I have seen they block entire pathways and that can be exploited for some objective maps.

• @-Slash-:

There are enough ways to counter a shield whore presently, and there is the stamina factor discouraging people from hiding behind their shield forever.

I know shields are counterable, that isn’t the issue. I just support any idea that further encourages aggressive play. Combat should flow as much as possible, fun fights are the furious ones where you really feel that both sides are trying to hurt eachother. It’s always more fun to fight a player who takes initiative than to fight one who plays extremely cautiously and simply waits for an opportunity. The best way to ensure combat is fast and furious is to reward players for playing aggressively.

• @TheNarrator:

@-Slash-:

There are enough ways to counter a shield whore presently, and there is the stamina factor discouraging people from hiding behind their shield forever.

I know shields are counterable, that isn’t the issue. I just support any idea that further encourages aggressive play. Combat should flow as much as possible, fun fights are the furious ones where you really feel that both sides are trying to hurt eachother. It’s always more fun to fight a player who takes initiative than to fight one who plays extremely cautiously and simply waits for an opportunity. The best way to ensure combat is fast and furious is to reward players for playing aggressively.

Counter-point: If your shield is flimsy enough to break over the course of a single fight, who would use them? If your shield is only breakable after several fights, you aren’t rewarding aggression, you’re punishing a player for being able to survive multiple fights in a row. A breakable shield would be akin to stamina being 5x what it is now, but never regenerating. It just makes no sense; you punish players for staying alive longer.

• @-Slash-:

@haarp:

Stopped reading there.

Shame, if more people weren’t ignorant they wouldn’t keep getting the melee wrong. War of the Roses is a disaster. I hope this dev team takes a look at Mount & Blade and learns why it’s sold millions of copies.

• Breaking shields is a really bad idea, I use a shield all the time and I definately don’t feel overpowered. When you are behind your shield your stamina stops regenerating and that encourages you to stop over using it for fear you wont have enough stamina to retaliate. I have also noticed that when you don’t have any stamina left even if you bring your shield up you will take the full damaged from the attack.

• @haarp:

@-Slash-:

@haarp:

Stopped reading there.

Shame, if more people weren’t ignorant they wouldn’t keep getting the melee wrong. War of the Roses is a disaster. I hope this dev team takes a look at Mount & Blade and learns why it’s sold millions of copies.

Bejeweled has also sold millions of copies.

• I really wish people would stop praising M&B’s combat, too me it felt incredably unintuitive and not much fun and i really didnt see how winding up your swing and having to hold it is considered the epitomy of excellent close combat design. I never understood why they didnt just map the swings to four seperate buttons, Chivalry has proved that it makes combat way more dynamic and fun.

• If shields break I won’t be using them. Simple as.

• I like how shields work now, no need to break the shield really, the stamina system do very good job with it, and you can easily find a way to hurt someone blocking with shield quickly, M&B shields were actually covering you very well, so it needs to break there, but in chivalry it doesn’t need really, otherwise as stated above people wont use it.

• I’m quite sure that the shields are already breakable in this game (?). I’ve seen a heavy two handed weapon breaking a shield and thus going through it, killing the enemy. Or it’s been a running attack that does sometimes go trough a shield block. Can a dev confirm this? Someone test this please so I don’t feel this delusional. :)

Seriously, shields SHOULD break, just like in real life. If you hit a shield with a heavy weapon enough times it will break. I really don’t understand these people who are suggesting that shields shouldn’t break. That’s just crazy. :?