CU1 Patch 2 BETA

• Now available for testing! This patch is centered around gameplay and balance, so it’s going to take a lot of testing. We’ll be merging in more changes as the beta progresses, but for now this is what’s initially included,

Bug Fixes:

No longer able to dodge while dazed.
    Vertical turn rate is now capped during windups the same way horizontal turn rate is.
    Taking damage from an ally while in release no longer stops you from comboing.
    Players are now kicked off of siege weapons when they’re being forced to respawn due to autobalance or a map objective (I.E. becoming the king).
    Removed a potentially abusive test command.
    The ‘hiding spot’ in the lake on Moor no longer has collision; players will now fall into the water and die properly.
    No more infinite objective points from burning a certain house on Stoneshill.
    Fixed players floating into the air if they’re kicked while jumping.
    Fixed a possible desync when trying to combo with insufficient stamina.
    Fixed a possible desync causing “fake counterattacks”.
    Fixed the passive shield block hitbox counting as a head damage multiplier for melee weapons.
    Fixed sprint speed not resetting when a player is flinched with toggle sprint active.
    Fixed a bug with server filters.
    Fixed being able to use HTML tags in player names.
    Fixed vanguards being unable to throw torches while their sprint attack was readied.
    Fixed being unable to resupply lead balls.
    Fixed simultaneously jumping and crouching causing you to get stuck in crouch.
    Fixed queued shield blocks uncapping your turn rate.

Additions/Alterations:

Increased collision radius for enemies to reduce the impact of ‘facehugging’.
    Reduced dodge speed slightly.
    Second pass of feint changes:
    -The attack grunt sound now plays in the last 150 ms of a windup, rather than the start of release, to give both players better feedback on the end of windup feint limitation period.
    -Feinting is no longer disabled in the last 150 ms of a windup, but feinting during this period will result in an increased recovery of .5 seconds before you can swing again.
    -Feinting multiple times in a row is possible, but will result in the same increased recovery.
    -Stamina cost of feinting out of a combo swing is now 25, up from 15.
    Kick reworked slightly: tapping and releasing kick will perform a quick shove that only knocks back and dazes, while holding the key down will result in the same kick speed as current, with the ability to stun enemies who are actively blocking with a shield.

First pass of potential weapon timing changes for faster release speeds. Proper balance changes will be coming later on, this is more of a full scale mechanics tweak. All of these timings are for release (the part of the swing where your weapon is in motion and dealing damage) unless stated otherwise.
    (Long list)

! Short Spear stab from .3 to .25
    ! All javelin overheads (shield punch) from .3 to .25
    ! Flanged Mace stab from .35 to .25 (Windup from .3 to .4)
    ! Morning Star stab from .4 to .3
    ! Holy Water slash from .45 to .35 (windup from .35 to .4)
    ! Holy Water overhead from .4 to .325
    ! Holy Water stab from .45 to .3 (windup from .3 to .35)
    ! Maul slash/OH from .6 to .525
    ! Maul stab from .5 to .375
    ! Grand Mace slash/OH from .6 to .5
    ! Grand Mace stab from .5 to .35
    ! Warhammer slash/OH from .5 to .45
    ! Warhammer stab from .4 to .325
    ! Hunting Knife stab from .35 to .25
    ! Hunting Knife OH from .3 to .25
    ! Thrusting Dagger slash/OH from .35 to .3
    ! Cudgel slash/OH from .4 to .35
    ! Saber stab from .4 to .3
    ! Norse Sword slash from .35 to .325
    ! Norse Sword OH from .35 to .3
    ! Norse Sword stab from .3 to .275
    ! Claymore slash/OH from .55 to .475
    ! Claymore stab from .45 to .35
    ! Greatsword slash/overhead from .6 to .5
    ! Greatsword stab from .45 to .375
    ! Zweihander slash from .65 to .55
    ! Zweihander OH from .6 to .525
    ! Zweihander stab from .5 to .4
    ! Hatchet slash from .45 to .3 (windup from .3 to .35)
    ! Hatchet overhead from .4 to .275 (combo from .65 to .625)
    ! Hatchet stab from .3 to .25 (windup from .3 to .35, combo from .65 to .625)
    ! War Axe slash from .45 to .4
    ! War Axe overhead from .4 to .35
    ! War Axe stab from .35 to .25
    ! Dane Axe slash from .5 to .45 (Combo from .625 to .65)
    ! Dane Axe OH from .5 to .4 (Combo from .625 to .65)
    ! Dane Axe stab from .35 to .3
    ! Double Axe slash from .6 to .475
    ! Double Axe OH from .55 to .45
    ! Double Axe stab from .4 to .35
    ! Bearded Axe slash from .55 to .4 (Windup from .425 to .475)
    ! Bearded Axe OH from .5 to .375 (Windup from .425 to .475)
    ! Bearded Axe stab from .4 to .3 (Windup from .55 to .5)
    ! Pole Axe slash from .5 to .45
    ! Pole Axe OH from .5 to .425
    ! Pole Axe stab from .45 to .35
    ! Fork slash from .6 to .325
    ! Fork OH from .4 to .325
    ! Fork stab from .3 to .275
    ! Spear slash from .4 to .35
    ! Spear OH from .4 to .35
    ! Brandistock slash from .6 to .4
    ! Brandistock OH from .45 to .4
    ! Brandistock stab from .4 to .35
    ! Halberd slash from .6 to .475
    ! Halberd OH from .6 to .45
    ! Halberd stab from .4 to .35
    ! Bardiche slash from .65 to .55 (Windup from .55 to .6, combo from .7 to .75)
    ! Bardiche OH from .7 to .5 (Windup from .55 to .6, combo from .7 to .75)
    ! Bardiche stab from .5 to .35
    ! Billhook slash from .55 to .45
    ! Billhook OH from .55 to .425
    ! Billhook stab from .4 to .3
    ! Longsword slash from .55 to .475 (Windup from .5 to .525, combo from .65 to .675)
    ! Longsword OH from .65 to .45 (Windup from .5 to .55, combo from .65 to .675)
    ! Longsword stab from .4 to .325 (Combo from .7 to .675)
    ! Messer slash from .6 to .525 (Combo from .7 to .725)
    ! Messer OH from .65 to .475 (Combo from .75 to .725)
    ! Messer stab from .4 to .325 (Windup from .7 to .65)
    ! Sword of War slash from .6 to .45
    ! Sword of War OH from .6 to .4
    ! Sword of War stab from .35 to .3
    ! Longsword 1h slash from .5 to .4
    ! Longsword 1h OH from .45 to .35
    ! Longsword 1h stab from .35 to .3
    ! Messer 1h stab from .35 to .3
    ! Sword of War 1h slash from .45 to .375
    ! Sword of War 1h OH from .4 to .325
    ! Sword of War 1h stab from .35 to .275
    ! Quarterstaff slash/OH from .4 to .3
    ! Quarterstaff stab from .35 to .25
    ! Polehammer slash from .6 to .5
    ! Polehammer OH from .55 to .45
    ! Polehammer stab from .4 to .35
    ! Flag slash from .65 to .45
    ! Flag OH from .55 to .45
    ! Flag stab from .5 to .375
    ! Flail slash from .55 to .5
    ! Flail OH from .55 to .35
    ! Flail stab from .35 to .25
    ! Heavy Flail slash from .6 to .525
    ! Heavy Flail OH from .6 to .375
    ! Heavy Flail stab from .35 to .25

• Sweet. I’ll give this a go and hopefully be able to contribute my 2 cents. :)

• ETA on european servers?

• @SlyGoat:

But, shouldn’t a hit from an ally prevent you from comboing?

• @Dubjay:

@SlyGoat:

But, shouldn’t a hit from an ally prevent you from comboing?

And shouldn’t a hit from your ally also flinch you if you are in release. It would just be better for the people got surrounded by multiple enemies. They no longer could attack at you mindlessly. The non existing flinch and cancel combos just promotes spamming attacks mindlessly when multiple players outnumber a single guy.

• WOW…everything is sped up. I wonder how this will affect gameplay

• No grand-mace overhead windup nerf?

I really would recommend this.

from .525 to .575 at least

• Increased collision radius for enemies to reduce the impact of ‘facehugging’.

How does this work with knifes and daggers? With a ping <50 I often had the problem that I wasbouncing against his hitbox but was still unable to hit him. I had to lean 45° forward to hit him. I asume this change makes it even more difficult now.

• @MarkedOne:

And shouldn’t a hit from your ally also flinch you if you are in release.

I think you mean the normal ‘flinchable’ states, because not even hitting an enemy in release flinches them.

Here’s my view on the matter:

1. Hitting a teammate should apply all the same rules as hitting an enemy, with the exception of the % of friendly fire set for the server (50%, 100% etc).

2. “Taking damage from an ally while in release no longer stops you from comboing.” As I said above, I don’t like this because it feels wrong when hitting teammates. Something you expected to happen doesn’t, and in tight group fights, swings end up happening when they shouldn’t.

I just didn’t expect this many weapons to get releases shortened, especially the faster weapons in the game, I was thinking more like the Zweihander, Bardiche, most average-slow (lightsaber) weapons etc and even then not by that much, everything else is subject to testing though, I won’t comment fully until tested.

• Is this real life

• Why is everything sped up…my head hurts.

• @Planetus:

Why is everything sped up…my head hurts.

Check your FoV setting. People in the past felt the game had got slower or faster due to the default FoV being reset.

Unless you’re on about the weapon timings of course.

• I enjoyed the download but no servers show in the browser.
    :(
    Anyone else have a browser issue?

Well that was a whole hour spent trying to make this work. On the plus side, I’ve confirmed that many things are working well. Just not the browser. It’s like a greek comedy.

• @NoVaLombardia:

No grand-mace overhead windup nerf?

I really would recommend this.

from .525 to .575 at least

Cannot stress this enough. Especially with the bardiche and longsword nerf.

• I’d have to agree with Martin.

Taking damage from an ally is hopefully going to make those that surround you more cautious since everyone will keep in mind the effect of being hit by a teammate. At least, I’d hope so. Plus, it prevents people from constantly swinging because if you have no negate from being hit from an ally, then you can just keep going.

As for the beta, there’s two things I noticed so far:

1. Obvious Left keybind problem. You’re not able to move left and the main keybind won’t save, it will default back to none. The only way to fix it is to change your secondary keybind.

2. MAA. I understand the need to change the dodge, but when you combine that with what seems like slower mace windups, it makes you feel like you’re walking on thin ice. If you dodge in the wrong time, your speed won’t get you out of there and your swinging all depends on if your opponent gives you enough time. However, I could be wrong about this.

One thing, I’d like to see change to hopefully balance the MAA, is to keep dodge speeds as it is in the beta but increase backwards dodge so that way, even if we’re slower for left, right, or forwards dodge, we have a safe option to move back instead of being trapped in a small zone mostly preoccupied by long reaching weapons. Also, possibly increase mace windup speed just a tad.

Once again, I could be wrong so if anyone feels otherwise, please put your 2 cents in. :D

• Developer

@Keith:

1. Obvious Left keybind problem. You’re not able to move left and the main keybind won’t save, it will default back to none. The only way to fix it is to change your secondary keybind.

:(

• I thought this game can’t go worse but then I’ve played Patch 2 beta.

Well done Torn Banner

• Before you finally release this patch to live, PLEASE fix the Ballistas. This should be a priority over any balance; an entire map is completely ignored in comp play because of the bugs with Ballistas!