Grand Mace

• I have a respectful fear of the grand mace, which is as it should be. Sometimes I’ll switch to a faster weapon because of that respect. Whereas with the maul just think “of good an easy kill”. Still given what you can do with all the other 2h weapons I don’t get why everyone is acting so scared with the grand mace.

• Grand mace isnt even op… its totally terrible against maa and vanguards lol

• I dont see it beeing op too, its range is crap, and the only opponent its really good against are knights.
    Also I dont see many players using it, while sometimes it seems half the knights use SOW for the insanly good stabs…

• I’ve been using the Grand Mace a bit lately, I do not believe it is OP at all.
    I fight MAA with it for laughs and it actually does quite well. Most of them do not expect the delayed overhead/slash. There’s many other weapons that should have a higher priority for nerfing/editing.

• @CRUSHED:

Grand mace isnt even op… its totally terrible against maa and vanguards lol

Oh, what’s that in my secondary slot? A Broadsword? Suddenly fighting MaA is a lot easier than if I mindlessly tried to use an anti-knight weapon against them.

Although for Vanguards I admit you’re slightly out of luck, since the best reliable 2-shot one-hander is the War Axe. I guess you could make do with the Morning Star against Vanguards, if you can compensate for how slow and underpowered it is.

@NaTe:

I’ve been using the Grand Mace a bit lately, I do not believe it is OP at all.
    I fight MAA with it for laughs and it actually does quite well. Most of them do not expect the delayed overhead/slash. There’s many other weapons that should have a higher priority for nerfing/editing.

Honestly it only really seems OP in comparison to the Maul. Don’t get me wrong, you can do well with the Maul against players who don’t have experience fighting against its incredible slowness, it’s just that against people who know how the Maul works the Grand Mace outclasses it in the majority of situations.

• @Dibbz:

Although for Vanguards I admit you’re slightly out of luck, since the best reliable 2-shot one-hander is the War Axe. I guess you could make do with the Morning Star against Vanguards, if you can compensate for how slow and underpowered it is.

You forgot flanged mace!

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Dibbz:

You forgot flanged mace!

True, although I tend not to trust that what looks like a headshot actually registers as such so I tend to plan for torso shots.

If you’re more confident than me that your overheads will be a headshots then the Flanged Mace does very well against Vanguards.

Although it’d feel weird having the best anti-knight primary and the best anti-knight secondary on the same loadout. I’d be tempted to switch out the Grand Mace for a SoW or Longsword if I had the Flanged Mace as a secondary… or maybe stick with the Grand Mace+Broadsword secondary and pray for a double-headshot against any Vanguards I cross.

• nerf the grand mace and it will be an underpowered maul :x

• @Martin:

This is a must, however, here’s what I think:

• The slash should be faster than the overhead
    • The stab should be faster still (not by much)
    • Two slashes should not kill a Knight
    • One slash and one overhead should be sufficient enough to kill a Knight (obviously 2 overheads will anyway)

I feel the same way for Falchion and Warhammer. Too much advantage is gained by simply using left click only, it has the best chance of getting around parries. Instead I feel at least having to use one overhead is a must to keep the HTK low so:

• For the Falchion, three slashes will not kill a Knight, but two slashes and an overhead will
    • For the Warhammer, two slashes will not kill a Knight, but one slash and one overhead will be sufficient enough

Otherwise you may as well just LMB when the LMBs are:

• Faster
    • Easier to get around parries with
    • Usually hit more people

These kinds of ‘attack combos’ were also present in AoC, so you could never just LMB your way to Victory (but you could overhead your way to Victory - overheads didn’t hit as many people, and they were slower than slashes), you had to spice it up a little.

On the topic of the Maul, I still want to see:

**- A slightly faster slash (does not have the power overhead has)

• Reduced recoveries to be on par with the Grand Mace
    • Bring back 1 hit KOs to the MAA body (obviously needs a bit of custom code to stop 1 hit KO on Knight)

If this happens, I will be a happy bunny**.

Make it happen then. You have more power then most of us. You are a very well known moderator and heard voice of the community, you’ve been here since day 1 and stuff.
    Make it happen? Talk to TB, make the people in RK agree with you and get their voices heard etc…

• I think that it needs more range, and slightly slower attacks.

• Grand Mace is definitely OP. The OH is just way too fast.

• Overhead currently feels like 0.2 on the receiving end a lot of the time. :?

• I feel like gmace shouldnt have a viable poke and be given a slower overhead, that would balance it. Maybe buff the slash a little.

• Mauls always one shotting. Forever.

I hit your foot with the maul, and you are DEAD!!!

• Seriously? Grand Mace is not OP. I barely see anyone using it.

• I think people just aren’t used to being two hitted while playing Knight.

The only thing I think needs working on with the GM is the the animations I think, the riposte stab is a little hard to read and the overhead animations maybe a bit jittery.

Dibbz is right though, when fighting a Knight, the GM is a much more viable choice than the Maul, usually for other classes too.

Edit: Derp-a-herp on my typing skills in the morning.

• @NaTe:

Dibbz is right though, when fighting a Knight, the GM is a much more viable choice than the GM, usually for other classes too.

The Grandmace is more viable than the Grandmace? :o

• The Grand Mace clearly overshadows itself. It is known.

• :-| I’m sorry :’(

Speaking of the Grand Mace overshadowing itself, last night someone went Grand Mace aswell after I defeated them a few times. I continued to defeat them and they said, why is yours better than mine.
    I should have said I had the premium Mace ;)

• @Martin:

This is a must, however, here’s what I think:

• The slash should be faster than the overhead
    • The stab should be faster still (not by much)
    • Two slashes should not kill a Knight
    • One slash and one overhead should be sufficient enough to kill a Knight (obviously 2 overheads will anyway)

I feel the same way for Falchion and Warhammer. Too much advantage is gained by simply using left click only, it has the best chance of getting around parries. Instead I feel at least having to use one overhead is a must to keep the HTK low so:

• For the Falchion, three slashes will not kill a Knight, but two slashes and an overhead will
    • For the Warhammer, two slashes will not kill a Knight, but one slash and one overhead will be sufficient enough

Otherwise you may as well just LMB when the LMBs are:

• Faster
    • Easier to get around parries with
    • Usually hit more people

These kinds of ‘attack combos’ were also present in AoC, so you could never just LMB your way to Victory (but you could overhead your way to Victory - overheads didn’t hit as many people, and they were slower than slashes), you had to spice it up a little.

On the topic of the Maul, I still want to see:

• A slightly faster slash (does not have the power overhead has)
    • Reduced recoveries to be on par with the Grand Mace
    • Bring back 1 hit KOs to the MAA body (obviously needs a bit of custom code to stop 1 hit KO on Knight)

If this happens, I will be a happy bunny.

Sounds very good to me.

To everyone who thinks the Grand Mace is too good at killing Knights:
    Well that is the very reason why you pick it. Grand Mace is worse than Knight swords at killing everyone else, so it HAS to be better at killing Knights. The advantages and disadvantages have to outweigh each other. Slightly worse at killing 3 classes but better at killing 1 class when compared to another weapon means that advantage against 1 class is better worth it.

Right now I still see pretty much every Knight with Longsword/SoW and at the same time they all tell me how op Grand Mace and Bearded Axe are, but the Longsword/SoW? Totally fine, it is just coincidence that everyone uses them, its not like the are the best Knight weaposn or anything ;)
    Why does a weapon, which is not considered the best choice(Grand Mace) for a class need a nerf, while the best choice(Longsword/SoW) does not? I still like Martin’s proposed changes, which are more about putting things right than truly nerfing the Grand Mace.