Counter alt swings need fixing

• Alt swings need fixing.
    Example:
    The great sword. It’s held on the players right side but when the alt swing is initiated the sword instantaneously starts swinging from the left side. What’s worst about this is that alt swings accelerate faster in the first part of the release phase compared to the standard swing. This enables people to force you to block/parry with a standard swing and then repost with an alt swing. In this case the reposting alt swing comes extremely fast on the side opposite to where you were just blocked. Even when you know this is coming it is still extremely hard to block/parry and is not much fun. New players will say WTF and be turned off by this.

Solution:
    When alt swings are not following on from a combo the first part of the release phase should be slower. So still the same release total time but the first part of the release should be slower.

• you’re really having issues if you can’t parry the greatsword. It does not instantaneously start swinging from the other side

Source: i fight a friend of mine damn near daily while he uses greatsword.

If you see 2 slashes, even if it’s a feint… it’s usually pretty rewarding to duck, but i’m sure you know this already. I always attempt to duck slashes when i see them coming, sometimes i get them, sometimes not. I like the ideas they have about vertical speed on slashes so they cant drag it down at the last second… i wish my ducks were more consistent than they are, but it’s kinda just timing.

• I thought I explained myself pretty well :(. It’s not the first parry but the second one that is the issue. And the second swing is a ‘repost’ or counter swing coming from the opposite side to the first swing. The fact that the great sword is so long means that the other guy can force this situation every time on facing off.
    Maybe this is less of an issue if you’re playing 3rd person :?

Visually the bardouche and bilhook look more realistic in the situation of a combo swing but you could do the same thing, as described above, and I expect it’d look weird (swing and be parried into alt swing repost).

• what’s with people using “riposte” ( a fencing term ) in chivalry now? It’s called a counter, stop trying to all be fancy and say ‘repost’ and ‘reposte’ trying to use some fancy french fencing word.

Anyway, if you’re talking about counter attacks coming from alt side, you’re not even supposed to be able to do this as far as i’m aware and i think you’re right that’s a bug. At first it just sounds like you’re talking about alt swings coming at you quickly. And then talking about somoene swinging at your normally to make YOU parry, then they do an alt swing and somehow beat you to the punch or something.

Counter alt swings are not supposed to be able to be performed, it’s one of those desync things (i think) and the alt overhand does it too… i don’t believe you’re currently supposed to be able to counter into alternate attacks but i could be wrong. I’ve tried to just do it normally and i can’t so i think it’s not supposed to be do-able.

• A lot of the animations for alt attacks are pretty messed up right now. Alternate swings and overheads in particular don’t look very human.

I made a thread in Ask TBS and they said that their animator is looking into making alternate animations look a bit more human.

• “alt” swings? More like “the only swing that anyone ever does” swings.

• @clayton-bigsby:

. And then talking about somoene swinging at your normally to make YOU parry, then they do an alt swing…

This,
    only it was coming at counter speed, plus, accelerated. Combine that with the fact that it comes from your left and then accelerated at your right. It was very hard to parry the second attack. This guy kept doing this at the start of every duel. I knew it was coming but that didn’t mean it wasn’t damn hard to work against.

• @giantyak:

This,
    only it was coming at counter speed, plus, accelerated. Combine that with the fact that it comes from your left and then accelerated at your right. It was very hard to parry the second attack. This guy kept doing this at the start of every duel. I knew it was coming but that didn’t mean it wasn’t damn hard to work against.

i know exactly what you’re talking about, other folks in here are still talking about alt swings but that’s not the issue you are getting at. It’s the weird ability to do a really fast counter alt swing and alt overhead after a parry. I don’t really know what causes it because you are not supposed to be able to alt counter… so i’m typically pressing the LMB to counter-slash, or mwheeldown to do a regular counter-overhead, and it does this really quick alternate swing counter instead. I think this is a bug.

Reason why i think its a bug, you shouldn’t be able to counter alt. Try parrying and then doing a counter-alt swing, it won’t do it… but this little nuisance happens currently. If they want to throw in alt counters… i’m all for that. But currently you shouldn’t be able to do it, and it happens.

• @clayton-bigsby:

what’s with people using “riposte” ( a fencing term ) in chivalry now? It’s called a counter, stop trying to all be fancy and say ‘repost’ and ‘reposte’ trying to use some fancy french fencing word.

In fencing, the riposte (French for “retort”) is an offensive action with the intent of hitting one’s opponent, made by the fencer who has just parried an attack.
    I’d say it’s a fitting name for counters in the game.

• @clayton-bigsby:

snip

While I appreciate you like to show your half naked body

Any chance you could include your gf in the pic?

• @clayton-bigsby:

snip

While I appreciate you like to show your half naked body

Any chance you could include your gf in the pic?

• why are you asking me for pics in the alt swing thread?

no

• He swings both ways, obviously.

• @dudeface:

He swings both ways, obviously.

:lol:

• @clayton-bigsby:

what’s with people using “riposte” ( a fencing term ) in chivalry now? It’s called a counter, stop trying to all be fancy and say ‘repost’ and ‘reposte’ trying to use some fancy french fencing word.

Because it describes a specific type of counter.

A counter attack is the basic form of following up from any situation, which covers a lot of circumstances.

A riposte is used to identify a parry-combo without having to type all that jazz out.

• This post is deleted!

• There’s nothing wrong with using the word riposte. It means exactly what people are expressing. It is a part of our language and as such is meant to be used, not put aside.

Saying counter or counterattack isn’t really actually specific enough as those concepts aren’t inherently tied to parrying (one can counterattack without parrying). A lot of people here (myself included) use the made-up term parry-counter, which is fine, I guess, but is for all intents and purposes a two word version of riposte.

• i know what it means, i just think it’s funny that no one was using the word until like a week or 2 ago when some brilliant guy decides to use it then all of a sudden instead of people saying counter, EVERYone is using the word riposte now.

Don’t act like you fools were using the word like a month ago, because lies. And i would like post proof if you decide to argue that one. It’s not the word that gets me… it’s just become this like… hipster word on the forums lately.

“dude i’ve been saying riposte before it was cool on the forums, bro”

• Yeah I noticed that trend too.