Thoughts on transitioning into F2P

• I am curious to know what the general community thinks about Chivarly eventually (when it’s polished and the bugs are decapitated) turning free to play?

Usually I am actually against the idea, at least for MMOs, as it gets in the way of the main experience. Too many segmented quests or areas or items that are limited due to needing too much income. Since Chivalry is not an MMO at all, such measures aren’t necessary. A bit of Cosmetic micro-transactions is all that’s really necessary.

Steam stats indicate Chivalry is still doing pretty well, between 1,500 and 2,500 or so concurrent users depending on the day. That’s pretty good, but not quite enough for it to explode out and get a lot of recognition as a more serious game competitively. It also is a lot of the same players, especially since ping is such a huge factor in this game compared even to shooters. This causes us to be very isolated by region. F2P could solve this with lots of much needed fresh blood.

As an example, think back to late January with the free weekend. We hit over 25k concurrent users then. Imagine if Chivalry went F2P and we could sustain even half that number. That would be huge!

• Have thought about this a lot actually.

See absolutely no negatives and many positives.

• Considering it’s not a sustainable business model, that’s just silly. I am also fairly certain that it would be Steam making the pricing calls, not Torn Banner.

The devs deserve to get paid for their work regardless of when you purchased the product. If you are going to change the monetization from selling retail copies to in-game microtransactions, that can work but doesn’t fit this type of game at all.

So, no, that’s just silly. Games with high learning curves just don’t do that well no matter how cool they are. Look at Tribes Ascend.

• F2P would make at least as much as they are currently making, given the limited number of sales now, that will keep falling as is natural in any normal game the further away from the release date you go. Early on F2P wouldn’t make sense, but transitioning into it later as the standard sales decline, it seems to be the best bet.

Massive increase in population while at least maintaining the same revenue if not surpassing it. Two birds, one stone.

• Definitely NO

I think you all underestimate the impact on the community, ask to every players of TF2 if they preferred the game before or after it went F2P…

In another way , Chivalry is quite and “Old School” game. Skill based , high learning curve and hell yeah not a freaking F2P monster.

I’m sure a lot of players don’t play certain games because they are FP2. What we are going to have is less “good” players joining. Some of the actual involved “good” players are going to leave because of the new community, and slowly chivalry is going to have the worse community you can imagine.

I don’t want to see this awesome game dying like that. I want it to stay proud of what it is.

• oh please no lol

• @Rayeon:

Definitely NO

I think you all underestimate the impact on the community, ask to every players of TF2 if they preferred the game before or after it went F2P…

In another way , Chivalry is quite and “Old School” game. Skill based , high learning curve and hell yeah not a freaking F2P monster.

I’m sure a lot of players don’t play certain games because they are FP2. What we are going to have is less “good” players joining. Some of the actual involved “good” players are going to leave because of the new community, and slowly chivalry is going to have the worse community you can imagine.

I don’t want to see this awesome game dying like that. I want it to stay proud of what it is.

It will fade away as it is now because all we’ll have left are a few of the most hardcore dedicated players, not enough fresh blood comes in, it becomes stale. F2P isn’t perfect, but at least it would ensure the game thrives and the competitive scene can grow. It simply cannot in the state it’s in, because there are no viewers. It’s not just about the players.

• id be fine with f2p if there would be armor customization and hats

• @The:

It will fade away as it is now because all we’ll have left are a few of the most hardcore dedicated players, not enough fresh blood comes in, it becomes stale. F2P isn’t perfect, but at least it would ensure the game thrives and the competitive scene can grow. It simply cannot in the state it’s in, because there are no viewers. It’s not just about the players.

Might make more sense if free players only get the first level of weapons unlocked until they pay.

I don’t think we are there yet, most of the drop in players is because the largest number of people do TO and with only 5 maps it gets stale.

• @gregcau:

Might make more sense if free players only get the first level of weapons unlocked until they pay.

How about no. If it was to become free to play I would hope the only sales would be cosmetic. What you propose isn’t F2P, its a demo mode.

That being said I voted no to start with though I wouldn’t be so against it if it seemed necessary to keep the game going due to a diminishing player base.

• @gregcau:

@The:

I don’t think we are there yet, most of the drop in players is because the largest number of people do TO and with only 5 maps it gets stale.

That doesn’t make sense in the first place because there is no advantage to having the unlocked weapons. Why would they pay for something when the first tier weapons are completely viable?

More players coming in is alright with me, but I doubt it will affect the competitive scene at all. Those who see potential in the game have already played it, the only thing F2P would do is give us more people to pubstomp and since I derive little enjoyment from slaughtering noobs all day, I really don’t see the advantage.

• @Daiyuki:

That doesn’t make sense in the first place because there is no advantage to having the unlocked weapons. Why would they pay for something when the first tier weapons are completely viable?

Some are viable sure. It would give them enough of a taste of the game to see if they liked it and if they like it I am sure they would like the rest of the weapons. Besides I remember when I started playing I assumed the different tiers were upgrades.

But yeah I guess it could go F2P and then they add DLC content, assuming yall want to pay for some DLC.

Some business model is needed to pay for the game to evolve and the server hosting to be paid for.

• Kiri, you cannot seriously think the competitive scene has reached its pinnacle, do you? What else besides a massive influx of new blood (that some will get interested in the competitive scene too) would boost it? People get into it, participate in more comps, more clans form, more viewers watch the videos and streams of it, they tell more people, etc etc… that’s how a comp scene explodes. With lots of people. ;)

• No I already paid $25 USD to play this. I don’t want this going F2P. Espicially since there will have to be a store for them to make money.

• This game will have to go FTP or die, period.

Radiant has detailed many benefits, i’ve yet to see a negative to going ftp be pointed out.

Its just people saying ‘naw me no like f2p’ which, i mean, ok thats you dude. You be over there. Not liking f2p, thats cool. Your opinion is illogical but

You have a right to hold it. But not have it it respected, personally i don’t.

But i mean, going f2p is kinda big, i doubt as a community we could convince the devs to do it if they didn’t want to. Much less significant to discuss this great idea than proper gameplay balance.

And don’t charge anyone who already bought this game for anything released in future/in the micro transaction store that isn’t purely cosmetic.

Seems kinda simple. Won’t generate a lot of revenue, but then, the point is to make the game last longer and get an influx of new players after sales start drying up and the community is dying.

Not a good choice for right now this second but, maybe in a few months.

• Precisely, as long as two things are met, there are nothing but positives.

The first being, as cash pointed out, people who already bought the game would get all or at least a lot of the cosmetic dlc for free, secondly that it be only cosmetic, and there you go.

When the game starts to simply not sell well enough anymore, transitioning into F2P just makes sense. Of course I cannot say how much it’s selling or how much revenue it’s bringing in, so the financial aspects of a decision like this can’t be made by the community, we just don’t have that kind of information.

I just think it’s the best move to revitalize the game, perhaps not right away, but eventually. It just makes sense to me.

• @The:

Precisely, as long as two things are met, there are nothing but positives.

The first being, as cash pointed out, people who already bought the game would get all or at least a lot of the cosmetic dlc for free, secondly that it be only cosmetic, and there you go.

When the game starts to simply not sell well enough anymore, transitioning into F2P just makes sense. Of course I cannot say how much it’s selling or how much revenue it’s bringing in, so the financial aspects of a decision like this can’t be made by the community, we just don’t have that kind of information.

I just think it’s the best move to revitalize the game, perhaps not right away, but eventually. It just makes sense to me.

Like everyone thought was gonna happen with TF2?

Didn’t happen. $40 USD no extras at all when it went free to play.

I don’t mid if a game starts off as F2P. But trasitioning to it when I’ve already paid for it is stupid.

The game won’t die as it is. And anyway. Modding tools are coming out soon. That’ll do something. I mean mount and blade warband.

• Still even if it went F2P it will not fix the core issues which are content and the fact that competitive players ruin new players experiences.

• @gregcau:

Still even if it went F2P it will not fix the core issues which are content and the fact that competitive players ruin new players experiences.

People keep using the terms ‘pub’ and ‘competitive.’

What the really mean is ‘bad, new’ and ‘good, experienced’

And there are rank restricted servers now, and could be more. The issue is one of population, right now the majority of chiv players are a fairly high rank. If it went f2p there would be a huge influx of bads, that would last a really long time, so you’d notice the high ranks less.

And obviously a f2p launch would have to happen after the paid beta is over.

• @JCash:

@gregcau:

Still even if it went F2P it will not fix the core issues which are content and the fact that competitive players ruin new players experiences.

People keep using the terms ‘pub’ and ‘competitive.’

What the really mean is ‘bad, new’ and ‘good, experienced’

Yeah, thats the general translation.

When there are no 40+ on a pub TO game, and the ranks are roughly distributed, the battle is great. It is close, exciting, there is team work, funny banter, its a lot of fun playing with “new” players.

When the teams get stacked with high ranks it turns into a very unsatisfying experience. I can handle one good player, typical tactic is to tie him down with blocks until someone can flank him.

But running up and being swarmed by a bunch of high level steam friends is instant death.

The competitive people want more people playing, but they shoot themselves in the foot which is a shame. On occasion I stumble across a server with mostly low ranks, but I don’t run around trying to own everyone, I have mini-games and fun, bowing to my rank 0 opponent and blocking all his blows while saying “no”.

I guess different people have fun in different ways.