Opinions on Friendly Fire & Flinching

• I thought most people were aware of this, but there seems to be some confusion after the latest beta patch notes. Hitting an ally has never triggered a flinch in the past - with the addition of ‘flinch in release’ stopping you from doing a combo, allies who hit you in release were triggering this effect, but not normal flinches. We changed that in the beta, thus leading to the confusion; but it brings up a point that hasn’t really been discussed before.

Friendly fire is 50% by default; that number can be changed because we know a lot of more competitive players want full friendly fire. However, what about friendly flinching? It’d be good to know what most peoples’ thoughts on this are.

• I think that getting hit by a teammate is already punishment enough. Making the character flinch on top of that would make it too frustrating because not only would I become more vulnerable but I would be denied my potential kills.

• @47:

I think that getting hit by a teammate is already punishment enough. Making the character flinch on top of that would make it too frustrating because not only would I become more vulnerable but I would be denied my potential kills.

Agreed, that would just destroy public servers, I can only imagine the amount of rage and TKs it would cause.

Server option for admins at best.

• Server side option would be the best. Too annoying for pub play.

Slightly off-topic: Why did you decide to “flinch” people in release and making it so they get to keep swinging but with no animation, instead of just letting the swing anim finish but stopping the combo?

• @47:

I think that getting hit by a teammate is already punishment enough. Making the character flinch on top of that would make it too frustrating because not only would I become more vulnerable but I would be denied my potential kills.

+1

• Before you guys vote
    Think about the fact that this flinch is a “both sides punishement” meaning that if you get flinched by your teamates, you can die from it but if your ennemies are flinching each other, it can save you.

This means that the best team has even more chance to win which is not that bad if you think about it…

• My opinion is completely firm on this issue. The same ruleset for enemies has to apply to allies. There is absolutely no excuse for allowing a group of teammates together to run around slashing, doing reduced damage to each other whilst all slashes are doing damage to enemies without them flinching each other. It shouldn’t even be a server variable, this is basic game design - there is currently one rule applying to one group of people, and another applying to another group of people despite these rules having a major impact on gameplay and readability. Not to mention gangbanging a single person becomes much easier because of this, as if fighting multiple enemies wasn’t hard enough!

TL:DR; The reduced team damage is enough and serves its purpose very well in public servers. The extra ruleset is not needed whatsoever and actually hinders gameplay because things happen when they shouldn’t under usual circumstances.

• Yes, friendly attacks should result in flinching. Too many times I’ve been in combat with an enemy when his teammate behind him takes a wild swipe, hitting and launching this enemy towards me while he’s winding up an attack, resulting in a sure hit on me.

• I agree with Martin 100%.

Dont want to get flinched/dmged by your teammates? Find your own enemy!

Its so stupid that a lot of newbs charge a single enemy in groups of 2 or more just to try get an easy kill before they get backstabbed by the unengaged ones.

Sure there are the one who just charge at you from behind to steal your kill ripping you apart in the prozess, but thats what votekicks are for. More than 50% teamdmg? - Be gone!

100% teamdmg - do it! The 50% might very well be another reason people dont care. With 100% people not caring about their teammtes would get kicked much quicker. And this is not about playstyle or something its just bad play to dmg your allies.

• Well don’t say I didn’t warn you. Douches will have a field day, a little stab and you are flinched too. People probably don’t realize how much they get team damaged, but with flinch added they will notice a whole lot more.

Sure I stay away from the fray, pick my opponents and rarely get team damaged.

But if the game is ever going to appeal to new players… not that most people on the forum care about new players.

• This thread:
    public game players voting no
    competitive players voting yes

• Yes for me as part of my playstyle is to try and get people to team attack each other :) At the same time, you guys should make it so team killing takes away a kill and gives a death to the teamkiller. You would be surprised how much a little thing like a -1 on the scoreboard could persuade someone to be more careful. Also people don’t care about score, only kdr.

• @gregcau:

Well don’t say I didn’t warn you. Douches will have a field day, a little stab and you are flinched too. People probably don’t realize how much they get team damaged, but with flinch added they will notice a whole lot more.

Maybe you are right, maybe this game should be less simulation… But it’s really hard to predict… that’s why we need more beta tester opinions.

• @Blackleader:

Maybe you are right, maybe this game should be less simulation… But it’s really hard to predict… that’s why we need more beta tester opinions.

pub players dont beta test.

@rumpelstiltskin:

This thread:
    public game players voting no
    competitive players voting yes

forum
    90% competitive players
    10% pub players

anyway it all seems a mute point if they make it a server option, official pub servers off, private servers up to you.

• It’s a good idea for competitve play because hitting your teamates will be even more punishing for the whole team than before.

On the other hand I can only imagine the amount of rage it will create on pub server. both from casual players to verry skilled one. I get mad when a teammate charge attack my back because of reasons but can you imagine the rage when that random attack flinch ( and damage ) you and allow your ennemies to kill you ?

• @sharkh20:

Yes for me as part of my playstyle is to try and get people to team attack each other :) At the same time, you guys should make it so team killing takes away a kill and gives a death to the teamkiller. You would be surprised how much a little thing like a -1 on the scoreboard could persuade someone to be more careful. Also people don’t care about score, only kdr.

I really like that!

Right now some people just dont care to stop swining when allies are around, every idea to get them to do it is welcome imo!

• The answer is YES. I don’t even care what the question is, as long as it’s a server option.

! Did someone say server option?
    ! http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12755&hilit=+feint+server+option

• Server option is a must, I don’t think there that should even be part of the vote.
    The real question is whether or not we make it the default/canon setting.

@BillDoor:

! Did someone say server option?
    ! http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12755&hilit=+feint+server+option

Also yes. We’ve already got no-feint classic duel servers up and running and they make for some intense and difficult combat (the most intense part is not being able to feint-parry when you screw up, which makes the fights very intense, full of risk-management and precise footwork). Main problem is we’re so used to feinting when we queue up an unnecessary attack or are about to eat a shot to the face that accidentally feinting isn’t rare.
    Would be nice on those types of servers to just not have to worry about accidentally hitting RMB out of habit.

• I would say friendly fire flinching should be the default server option. Would be nice to have at least one official server running with if off, though.

@Dibbz:

We’ve already got no-feint classic duel servers up and running and they make for some intense and difficult combat.

… Where is this land of sweet honeyed mead?

• i’d like to see flinching work properly every time before any changes/ideas for changes can be made. For example, if both players release and hit each other during release… typically one player gets to continue comboing, but the other does not, even if you have the same weapon and strike at virtually the same time, both players are hit during release, and yet only one gets to continue combo. I’ve seen very rarely when both players can continue to combo, or both get flinched at the same time. Some things in the game ‘feel like’ a coin flip… what i just mentioned earlier, and also when 2 players strike at the same time where the last strike is the killing blow. At times it just seems like the game chooses the winner in these scenarios, even though you either hit at the same time, and sometime the faster, better timed hit seems to take the death instead.

So… i can’t make a decision on this, but if i would have to say something now… i would say flinch to teammates as well.