Broadsword

• So, ive been using the broadsword a ton in duels lately because it looks cool - and I’ve been doing fairly (touch wood) well with it. I feel more comfortable with flanged mace, but broadsword seems pretty ok though it lacks a little power so i feel you have to use a lot more finesse against shield knights, you’ll just lose trading hits.

I suppose what I want to know is - what makes the broadsword worth taking over say, any of the other secondaries, especially the mace? Is there anything? Obviously its weak as hell against knights - but I wanna hear a few stats from the experienced guys. Im talking from the perspective of a knight here, see plenty MAAs using it but not many knights.

Basically, is it worth taking over say, the mace and the norse sword - and why? I know its somewhat subjective, but i’d like to hear opinions.

• I recall a duel server with a knight taking a broadsword as his main, owning everyone.

What I think throws people off is that it is not taken very often and so the speed throws the opponent off.

Its a good weapon for players with excellent parrys and timing.

• Flanged Mace - Turns Knights into canned soup. Serviceable vs Vanguards & Archers. Poor vs MaA.
    Broadsword & Norse Sword - Eats Archers and Men At Arms for breakfast. Serviceable vs Knights and Vanguards.

So right off the bat if you’re comparing weapons it’s a question of what you want the easiest time of killing.

If you decide Archer & MaA killing is important (which if you’re a Knight yourself then the Grand Mace or Warhammer primary weapons will obliterate Knights anyway, so choosing a sword secondary doesn’t actually have a downside) then it’s down to Broadsword vs Norse Sword.

Broadsword advantages:

• Slightly longer reach

• Slightly higher Overhead/Horizontal damage

• Better at comboing (same combo speed, despite more damage & reach)

Norse Sword advantages:

• Faster Windup on Horizontal, slightly faster Windup on Overhead

• Slightly longer release (more potential for dragging) on Horizontal/Overhead

• Slightly faster Recovery (less cooldown after a non-comboing attack finishes)

One thing to note is that the Stab of both swords are identical in nearly every way - the only differences being the Broadsword’s Stab having very slightly more reach and the Norse Sword’s stab having a slightly faster Recovery.

You should make your own choice, but most people (myself included) prefer the Broadsword.

• excellent post, thanks a lot. Not a lot else to say ha!

• @gregcau:

I recall a duel server with a knight taking a broadsword as his main, owning everyone.

What I think throws people off is that it is not taken very often and so the speed throws the opponent off.

Its a good weapon for players with excellent parrys and timing.

It was me.

The broadsword is far superior over the norse sword (right now that is 19th May) for me because its combos ALWAYS 2-shot archers, MAAs, 3-Shot Vanguard and 4-shot knights. With tripple overhead strikes in the head it is possible to 3 shot a knight but the odds are you probably won´t be able to pull it off. It´s got very good reach, awesome speed and great combos.

When you play with the broadsword you want to practice engaging with your 1st strike which should be an overhead. So many people underestimate the reach. You also want to practice combos, mixing them up as unpredictibly as possible and parry-> stab.

Playing with the broadsword as a knight is actually a viable strategy because nobody expects such speed from a knight. You have a ton of armor and your weapon is crazy fast, it is worth it!

• The broad sword is tied for my favorite weapon in the game. I always switch away from my longsword in smaller areas and when I need speed. I also like to use the broad when fighting in a group as it is less likely to FF by stabbing through an enemy or with back swing. And as others have touched on ITS SO FAST!! A stab-overhand-stab combo slays VG’s with ease. Plus the speed and reach of the stab makes it a great weapon to interrupt combo’s making it devastating against foes with slower weapons.

• @Dibbz:

the only differences being the Broadsword’s Stab having very slightly more reach and the Norse Sword’s stab having a slightly faster Recovery.

You should make your own choice, but most people (myself included) prefer the Broadsword.

Norse stab does more damage; dont forget.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Dibbz:

the only differences being the Broadsword’s Stab having very slightly more reach and the Norse Sword’s stab having a slightly faster Recovery.

Norse stab does more damage; dont forget.

It does the exact same as Broadsword.

• Sadly the Norse Sword stab was nerfed quite a while ago.
    Don’t get me wrong, it was too good at the time, but honestly they overnerfed it a little.

I hope they give it a tiny buff (possibly lower the stab windup time a tad?) so that the Norse Sword has more substantial advantages to compare it to the Broadsword.
    At the moment almost nobody, neither MaA nor Knight, equips the Norse Sword, when pre-nerf it had been considered by many as the definitive best MaA primary.

• i dont know where you’v been playing but combofeint alt slashing norse sword shield knights are right up there in the dueling meta atm

• Whenever a knight uses a Norse sword someone always accuses them of speed hacking. Some get a votekick against them and some do get kicked as apparently, its just that inconceivable that a knight can hit that fast.

Secondary weapons for the knight and vanguard work well. As the opponent still treats them like a knight or vanguards rather than an MAA. Which effectively they have turned into one with more health and no dodge.

• @lemonater47:

Secondary weapons for the knight and vanguard work well.

Yes, lots of people not getting this.
    Always makes me laugh when a vanguard tries to fight me with his zweihander in a house…

• The one thing i would say to the opening statement is… the biggest difference between the maces and the swords comes down to power and maneuverability. From a power perspective - you are generally going to be better off against heavy armor with a mace and you are going to be better off with a sword against light armor.

But the biggest thing is how the weapon functions (maneuverability). Swords (esp the broadsword) are AWESOME in team fights because you can be very percise. I rarely team hit with the broadswoard because you can stick into very small openings (e.g. an enemy right between two allies). You can kinda do that with a stab from a mace, not not nearly as well.

On the other side, the maces seem to be more difficult to block. It appears that you really need to block the tip of a mace, while you seem to have a little more leeway with a sword (e.g. can block the middle of the sword and get the parry). But i’d like to hear what the devs or experienced players say about that… is that actually true or am I making that up?

• Broadsword was my go-to MaA weapon until quarterstaff.

• @SlyGoat:

Broadsword was my go-to MaA weapon until quarterstaff.

As a MAA player myself, I’m quite curious as to why. Could you please explain why the quarterstaff interest you to use it out on the battlefield?

• I’m curious also.
    Why do you like the quarterstaff Sly?

I’ve never been able to find a use for it. It’s got a decent stab, but I just can’t get over how little damage it deals overall. It feels almost like I’m using fists that can parry.
    What’s the secret to it?

• Quarterstaff combat cannot be taught, it’s just a skill you’re born with.

• @Dibbz:

Why do you like the quarterstaff Sly?

We need an overpowered quarterstaff just to piss people off. Do it Sly.