Third Person VS First?

• Which is better? Also does hit detection change when switching?

• Parrying seems easier to me in first because your body isn’t blocking your view of the enemy weapon.

As does archery/throwing weapons.

Third makes all aspects of swinging a weapon easier. Easier to aim, FAR easier to drag, and simpler to deal with facehugging.

you can compensate for the more difficult parrying by using a shield, which by the way is better in third because it doesn’t block your screen.

• What is this third person you speak of?

Games.on.net won’t let me know…. I’ve heard rumours they’ve got it locked in the cupboard under the staircase along with something called a “Fists”, but nobody knows where they’ve hidden the key. They sound like fun. If only this were a game designed for fun, then maybe we could have them.

• Well, in the 3rd person:

1. Your overheads are faster because to have a normal view, you always instinctively lean forward a little. It is even possible to run around looking to the ground with much impunity because you can see with very little impairment.

2. Your swings are much easier to time, delay and accelerate. You can see where they start and where they stop and of course you see the position of the enemy.

3. Your swings are extremely easy to aim at maximum distance to your sides (90° from the direction you are actually aiming).

4. You can see around corners.

5. You can see much better around yourself and my kite much easier with sprinting.

The 1st person:

1. Your swings and stabs have more probability of hitting the enemy’s head because there is no incentive to lean forward constantly.

2. Your stabs are probably more precise.

3. Your parries can be more precise (probably, I did not test 3rd person that much)

4. The immersion is infinitely better.

• I started in 3rd person and switched to 1st with the CU1 update end of January.

I would never go back to 3rd person.

Ultimately as others have said its easier to aim your blocks and parries in 1st person which is critical. Plus 3rd person you have the tendency to aim at peoples feet. Archers need 1st person so better to be able to fight in first.

In 1st while you don’t have as much ability to see around you, you transition in skill to looking around much more to determine if anyone is near you.

Competitive play is all 1st person, so if you are ever going to do that then get used to it now.

• @Dibbz:

What is this third person you speak of?

Games.on.net won’t let me know…. I’ve heard rumours they’ve got it locked in the cupboard under the staircase along with something called a “Fists”, but nobody knows where they’ve hidden the key. They sound like fun. If only this were a game designed for fun, then maybe we could have them.

THE FUN POLICE IS HERE. DROP YOUR FUNS AND COME WITH ME.

• I can’t play in 3rd person at all, it feel so weird. I played Age of Chivalry, and it was only 1st person, so it was something I was already used to. I like the way 1st person feels. I definitely feel like I have more control overall.

But everyone has their preference, just go with what works best for you. Just keep in mind that some servers have 1st person only, thus 3rd person is not available. All official servers will always have both 1st and 3rd person options.

• Are there any servers with 3rd person only enabled? :D

• @Kimiko:

But everyone has their preference, just go with what works best for you. Just keep in mind that some servers have 1st person only, thus 3rd person is not available. All official servers will always have both 1st and 3rd person options.

The devs do realize the huge advantage to third person players right?

Like, the dragging you’re capable of doing in third person, and the extent it boosts your ability to judge range is somewhat crazy.

And still, currently, in any server that is ‘first person’ only you can enable third person with devbehindview 1

• @JCash:

Like, the dragging you’re capable of doing in third person, and the extent it boosts your ability to judge range is somewhat crazy.

And still, currently, in any server that is ‘first person’ only you can enable third person with devbehindview 1

Those aren’t even the reasons theres an advantage.

Players can peek around walls and eliminate the shield’s weakness of lack of sight.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@JCash:

Those aren’t even the reasons theres an advantage.

Players can peek around walls and eliminate the shield’s weakness of lack of sight.

There is more than just one advantage to third person.

I think the biggest are increased accuracy/range judgement and MUCH easier swingdrags.

for a good man at arms, playing in third person is just…

You can easily like, lay waste to a single opponent with backwards/sideways dodges and precision that would be absolutely impossible in first person.

• @JCash:

@Kimiko:

Yes, but official servers are for everyone and third person is in the game and not going anywhere, thus there has to be servers that allow both.

As for devbehindview, that has been removed in the upcoming patch.

• @JCash:

You can easily like, lay waste to a single opponent with backwards/sideways dodges and precision that would be absolutely impossible in first person.

You clearly don’t remember me then.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@JCash:

You clearly don’t remember me then.

Spatial awareness will never be as good as just seeing them directly though. Having said that, I find it a lot easier to fight in first person than in dev behind view due to parries. The camera is good for offense and especially VG-type where you are hardly looking at the enemy and want to catch them with the tip of the weapon; judging distance to your enemy is way easier and you can see around yourself for obstacles/friendlies/enemies.

I agree with having both options for official servers, it’s not like it’ll ever get competitive enough in there for the camera to make more difference than player skill.

• I find playing Man-at-arms almost impossible in 1st person.
    Dodge sometimes just warps me to a different location and i lose sense of direction.
    Even with high FOV sometimes people seem to just disappear from sight.
    Also i get a lot more stuck in objects on 1st person than 3rd person.
    Servers with less than 20 players seem to work perfectly.
    Servers with more than 20 players start to lag and people move kind a glitchy.
    Pings dont rise but gameplay is definitely effected.
    I have a brand new setup that plays Chivalry maxed out while recording.

• Just visited an unnamed clan server for a few games. Terrible game. Everybody running around leaning to the ground and turning like a helicopter. Very difficult to counter properly when done with faster long weapons (claymore, SoW) by experienced people. The worst part is that when leaning, they force their gamestyle upon you because you need to lookdown too to properly block the attacks but contrary to them, you lose much of you situational awareness. Including 3rd person was probably one of the worst ideas.

• @ZipIce:

Which is better? Also does hit detection change when switching?

Both are good for different reasons.

3rd person (what I use) seems better for overall control and feel for your avatars actions. If you enable weapon tracers it allows you to chain combos and “drag/delay” in a more dangerous manner while also avoiding otherwise invisible targets. That being said, your targets are smaller on the screen, making aiming harder, bypassing shields harder and, reading stab feints harder.

I also find it much easier to duck and “matrix” in 3rd, as you can still track your enemies while dekeing.

1st person lets you be a lot more precise with stabs and parry but makes you blind using shields. It also does not allow of peripheral vision, making it easier to be flanked and feinted (imo). Blocking 1h slashes is also harder because of the larger turn needed to make the parry will often make it hard to follow your attacker.

That being said, the “Pro’s” (like anyone is getting paid :? ) use 1st, and the rest of the crowd is mixed.