Above average player wanting to be better

• A repost from Reddit!

Title says it all really… I would definitely say I’m above average, I can hold my own in all game types and feel like I am a strong opponent to contend with…

However, the other day I went on to a FFA Duel server to test out the Beta patch and… god almighty there were some great players. I can’t recall the names, but one was in a clan called KMC?
    Anyway, he was truly skilled and so were the other players. I got my ass handed to me and I was just curious… How on earth did you learn those techniques you use? How can I better my game?

Primarily I play Vanguard with Greatsword or Zwei and on LTS I play Knight with Longsword. I don’t feign, just use weapon dragging / delaying and combos or jumping to imitate a jump overhead and then after the block I attack. Little things like that, which I thought were pretty skillful, but nothing I did was anywhere near up to par as these gents.

Any ideas/ tips? Where do you skilled players normally practice? It’d be great to come and watch you guys duel and maybe pick up a few things on the way.

Cheers

Sam

• I take it you’re EU?

Must be; everyone in america would rather whine and pull the entitlement card.

• I find the best way to practice is to play duel games especially the servers that have people on them with hundreds or thousands of duels.

• Sorry, yea I’m on EU.

• @Swordnboard92:

I find the best way to practice is to play duel games especially the servers that have people on them with hundreds or thousands of duels.

Where do all these guys play though? Most times on Duel servers I meet pretty average players/ similar skill… I’ve yet to find someone on a duel server that destroys me. Which is really annoying, I want someone to just perfect me so I can try and work out what he did and where I went wrong!

• I think the clans should start selling Professional Training Classes.

But seriously the FFA Duel servers is often where the best players hang out so you can ask nicely for tips and tricks and I am sure some will spend time with you.

If that fails change your steam to a pic hot girl, match it here and ask again.

• Do you counter attack quickly. Another way of saying combo off a parry?

Launch a parry that you know is gonna be succesful and combo into another attack. So lauch the attack before the parry is finished. It will launch a very fast attack that can catch some very good players off guard if they don’t expect it. Best to do a stab as its hard to see. And with the claymore or SOW it works great. Still viable with something like the zweihander.

Ducking under attacks can fool anyone. At least once. Just don’t be like some people and try to suck overheads. Lookdown and crouch. While your down there wind up for an attack.

• @gregcau:

I think the clans should start selling Professional Training Classes.

But seriously the FFA Duel servers is often where the best players hang out so you can ask nicely for tips and tricks and I am sure some will spend time with you.

If that fails change your steam to a pic hot girl, match it here and ask again.

Yea, it definitely seems that these servers are where the best players hang out. Will keep an eye out for those more often then. Thanks! Will also google a few hot girl pics haha.

• @lemonater47:

Do you counter attack quickly. Another way of saying combo off a parry?

Launch a parry that you know is gonna be succesful and combo into another attack. So lauch the attack before the parry is finished. It will launch a very fast attack that can catch some very good players off guard if they don’t expect it. Best to do a stab as its hard to see. And with the claymore or SOW it works great. Still viable with something like the zweihander.

Ducking under attacks can fool anyone. At least once. Just don’t be like some people and try to suck overheads. Lookdown and crouch. While your down there wind up for an attack.

With regards to parry combos, I do those very often, if not all the time I do parry. I have noticed that it is faster at times and I can only assume it’s due to what you say, launching before it is finished. I will try to do that a lot more often. I also stab after a parry for the best results, with a little side step if possible to throw the opponent off more.

Do you reckon I should switch up to the Claymore over the Greatsword then? I used to use it quite successfully, but I fell in love with the Greatsword weapon drags and it’s general speed.

I do try to duck attacks, but normally only once I have blocked and they feint and I know what’s coming! I also start winding an attack up when I duck too, has proven very handy in many fights. Generally though, it’s an overhead and instead of moving to the side/ away, I duck and it lands in my cranium!

Will work on the the parry combos more though and launch them while the parry is active.

Thanks a lot!

• Was it Kmc | Marox?

Anyway, if you don’t already, you should play duels on Viking’s duel server or the Grandmace into your face server. Both heavily favour ffa on Moor, and I believe that Viking’s server is only set on Moor. I don’t duel a lot, only every now and then, but usually there are good players on those servers.

• @Jetstream:

Was it Kmc | Marox?

Anyway, if you don’t already, you should play duels on Viking’s duel server or the Grandmace into your face server. Both heavily favour ffa on Moor, and I believe that Viking’s server is only set on Moor. I don’t duel a lot, only every now and then, but usually there are good players on those servers.

Yea it was, he was lethal. He has probably the best jump stab I’ve ever seen haha. Incredible movement and combo skill. I managed somehow to beat him once but not again.

I’ll check those servers out, hopefully my server list will bring them up though! Thanks.

• Mate, I’m pretty sure I was playing with you the other night. I was playing as “Sonny Jim” and we were doing feintless fights on an FFA server? It think it was you…

Anyway, if it was, you’re already good and from my experience you don’t have far to go before you’re up there. You were hard to fight because you NEVER whiffed, if I remember right! Go to Vikings, Morte Couille (sp?) and Grandmace to your face old school duel servers, and your 1 on 1 game will improve quickly. Also steam add me :)

• @Harry:

Mate, I’m pretty sure I was playing with you the other night. I was playing as “Sonny Jim” and we were doing feintless fights on an FFA server? It think it was you…

Anyway, if it was, you’re already good and from my experience you don’t have far to go before you’re up there. You were hard to fight because you NEVER whiffed, if I remember right! Go to Vikings, Morte Couille (sp?) and Grandmace to your face old school duel servers, and your 1 on 1 game will improve quickly. Also steam add me :)

Ahhh Sonny Jim! Yea, I was play with you the other night, was some great duels there. I don’t feint ordinarily, I much prefer trying other methods to get the opponent down instead! I just feel dirty whiffing/ feinting.

I went to the Vikings server today, had a lot of fun duelling some really skilled players. I learnt a lot, mostly about what I am doing wrong by watching some people fight and I have an idea of what to work on now.

Appreciate it man! Was fun to fight you. Will add you on Steam.

• You get better when you play with players who are better than you. The best players are in clans like IO RK BB VK FF Templar IN KMC,… You can play with them on duel and clanservers or even try to join one of them.

• Learn how to feint

• @BillDoor:

Practice using the Q key in combination with other keys.

I recall other competitive players saying they use Q instead of RMB for feint. Whats up with that - why is that better than RMB?

• @gregcau:

@BillDoor:

I recall other competitive players saying they use Q instead of RMB for feint. Whats up with that - why is that better than RMB?

For a ‘faster’ feint-parry, as far as I know.

• @gregcau:

@BillDoor:

For me personally its preference.

• What might be helpful as an instructional video is if there are any really good NA (ideally east coast) players who can play and stream at the same time. I could play the part of a good but not great player and they can battle without feints, lookdown overheads, or facehugging and demonstrate how an excellent player can own someone not quite as good.

• @gregcau:

@BillDoor:

Most of us played on release/early access when right click wasn’t an ‘official’ bind for feint and so a lot of people just got used to using Q because binding feint to right click via config was a bit of a pain in the arse.

As for the thread author, the only advice I can give you is to duel against higher skilled players on some of the Free-for-all duel servers/clan duelservers that are out there, maybe even find a clan to play with.