Chivalry slang

• Reading the forums I’ve noticed a bunch of abbreviations and game terms (FFA, MAA, mouse accelerating, dancing/kiting and a carriageload more…) I’m not really familiar with. Is there a topic that explains all these terms/abbreviations/etc, since I wasn’t lucky in finding one.

• I doubt there’s a topic for that, though if you want to ask what specific terms mean you could try asking in this thread and some nice person might answer you.

I guess I’ll just define the terms you already listed:

FFA = Free For All (game mode)

MAA (often written MaA) = Man at Arms (class)

Mouse accelerating = Using your mouse to look in the direction your swing is currently travelling in order to force the weapon to speed up, or using your mouse to look in the opposite direction to the direction your swing is currently travelling in order to force the weapon to slow down.

Dancing = Constantly sprinting around whilst constantly comboing, typically with a two-handed weapon, running into your enemies as your character swings and running away as you begin to combo again in order to avoid your enemies’ attempted to counter-attack. The more unpredictable and mobile you are whilst “dancing”, the more effective you are.

Kiting = Getting enemies to follow/chase after you (like a kite follows the person holding its string)

• Ah, fair enough. Thanks for the info. Another two terms I seem to rember is LTS and FXMAA/FFMAA (can’t quite remember the spelling). Also I’ve seen FFA Duel. Is it a Free For All Duel? I know there is the FFA mode and the Duel mode, how does FFA Duel work?

• Before they made the current duel mode, people used to just honorably duel on an FFA map. It is still the preferable option for many people.

The other game modes are:
    LTS: Last Team Standing
    TO: Team Objective
    KOTH: King of the Hill
    TD / TDM: Team Deathmatch

• I’ll add a few more

SoW = Sword of War
    HWS = Holy Water Sprinkler

FFA Duel = An FFA server where there are gentleman’s rules not to attack other players until they agree to duel you. Duels are usually engaged when players war cry at each other. This used to be the only kind of duel server until Torn Banner created a standalone duel mode in Content Update 1.

Lookdown = short for lookdown overhead, and as the name suggests, it’s when a player looks down at the ground while doing an overhead attack. Combined with crouching, this can make the overhead attack connect with the opponent the instant windup is complete.

Facehugging = running right up into an opponent’s face, getting as close as possible to him while attacking. This makes it extremely difficult for him to block, since he needs to look left/right/up at extreme angles to block attacks, not to mention it’s difficult to see what attack you are doing at that close range.

FFMAA/FXMAA = I have no idea, never heard of those before.

• FFA Duel = old duel mode, usually on moor

press c or nod to initiate a duel

these are the servers where all the cool kids and clan pros hang out

• get good scrub = crushed just got killed by maa, AGAIN

• @dudeface:

Before they made the current duel mode, people used to just honorably duel on an FFA map. It is still the preferable option for many people.

That might explain why I was kicked from an FFA server shortly after joining. The only thing I did was sprint attack two guys fighting. I think the FFA Duel servers mention “duel” in the server name? I’ll have to look out for those.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I’ll bump this up if I come across anything else.

• @Slacka:

That might explain why I was kicked from an FFA server shortly after joining. The only thing I did was sprint attack two guys fighting. I think the FFA Duel servers mention “duel” in the server name? I’ll have to look out for those.

Yep, there aren’t many FFA duel servers left, only a handful.
    If there aren’t as many people on, admins may warn you first if Free-for-alling (ffa’ing). People will also type into chat the rules… but if you don’t start following them immediately after being told, you will get kicked. Also, if admin is in bad mood, insta-kick/ban…. and if there are a lot of people… I usually insta-ban because it’s too hard to admin if people keep coming back/lots of ppl in server. Admins are usually trying to duel themselves, so they can’t have eyes in the back of their head all the time watching who is FFA’ing and who is dueling. If the server is an FFA duel server, it will say so in the title of the server.

• Garm = Getting your head crushed by a Maul
    Skewer = Killing 2 players with a pole arm stab
    Shish kabob = Killing 3 players with a pole arm stab

• @Retsnom:

Garm… Skewer… Shish kabob

Those sound like they were either made up on the spot or are terms used only by one specific group.

• @Dibbz:

@Retsnom:

Those sound like they were either made up on the spot or are terms used only by one specific group.

They are universally known and accepted Chivalry terms. I am also big in China. 8-)

• Got 2 more - superdodging and scrimms?

• Superdodging = Using what some consider a bug to dodge a bit or much farther than a normal dodge, depending on how it’s executed.

Scrim = A clanmatch essentially, but by definition a scrimmage is a practice/exhibition match

• @Daiyuki:

Superdodging = Using what some consider a bug to dodge a bit or much farther than a normal dodge, depending on how it’s executed.

Thank you, but I could tell as much just from the name. I was looking for something a bit more detailed.

• @Slacka:

@Daiyuki:

Superdodging = Using what some consider a bug to dodge a bit or much farther than a normal dodge, depending on how it’s executed.

Thank you, but I could tell as much just from the name. I was looking for something a bit more detailed.

Well, most people strongly dislike it, so I’m not going to be the one to tell you how to do one of the most powerful exploits o.0

• @RushSecond:

FFMAA/FXMAA = I have no idea, never heard of those before.

I only know FXAA, which is a setting in the video options to regulate how smooth the edges of rendered objects are.

Most game-specific shortcuts were already explained, they are usually an abbreviation of either a game mode, a weapon or a class.

• @Dibbz:

@Retsnom:

My group and I use the skewer and shish kabo, so they are somewhat known I suppose. But the Garm is news to me.

• @Daiyuki:

@Slacka:

@Daiyuki:

Well, most people strongly dislike it, so I’m not going to be the one to tell you how to do one of the most powerful exploits o.0

Even if it was a godlike ability, it wouldn’t force me to play maa. That class is too smooshy and jittery for my liking. I don’t really care how it works, I just wanted to know how it looks like, so I can tell when someone’s using it; and, hopefully, have half a chance of defending against it. This would’ve been sufficient as an answer:
    WinmAXK9UFI

• @Slacka:

Even if it was a godlike ability, it wouldn’t force me to play maa. That class is too smooshy and jittery for my liking. I don’t really care how it works, I just wanted to know how it looks like, so I can tell when someone’s using it; and, hopefully, have half a chance of defending against it. This would’ve been sufficient as an answer:

Next patch is fixing this bug. So don’t worry about it too much going forward.