Stuttering after a map change

• Disk thrashing is generally caused by Ram being either full or close to full. Even if your friend has 8 gigs as opposed to your 4, you may still be filling up your virtual memory.

As Greg has mentioned, before starting Chivalry, try closing any processes you do not need to be running to save memory.

Also, it could be a random problem, so you can always try to verify your game files, maybe one of hte files is causing a problem. If that doesn’t work, try re-installing. If neither work, then you might have to try to find settings that allows certain programs to use certain amounts of memory so you could raise the memory Chivalry uses.

I have no idea what it could be if any of those do not work.

• The stuff you’re mentioning is pretty basic and I’m fairly sure I ruled it out already, but I’ll check again just to be sure. I definitely tried to shut down all unnecessary programs, including the AV, and it didn’t help.

The important keywords here are:

• It broke with the Content Update patch, it worked perfectly before the patch.
    • My friend, who has twice the RAM that I have, is having the same problem. I highly doubt that her computer is out of RAM. I’m also aware that Windows uses the page file prematurely, but not to the point where programs get choppy like that.

• @robikz:

The important keywords here are:

• It broke with the Content Update patch, it worked perfectly before the patch.
    • My friend, who has twice the RAM that I have, is having the same problem. I highly doubt that her computer is out of RAM. I’m also aware that Windows uses the page file prematurely, but not to the point where programs get choppy like that.

I saw that, but honestly the chance of it being patch related is 1000 to 1.

8GB ram and still doing it, so I would guess its not directly related to low physical memory, rather than a process that is the culprit.

Can you confirm that as you switch maps, there is no other process using CPU other than UDK.exe?

That would be the first step.

• I did some investigating, and here’s a screenshot that shows memory, CPU and disk usage statistics:
    http://i.imgur.com/z1cbE4n.jpg

This screenshot was taken at the time when I was experiencing mild lockups. Basically here’s what it shows:

• My CPU is being utilized at 43%. Given that I have a 6-core CPU this means that I have a lot of buffer remaining. My CPU is an AMD Phenom II X6 1050T, running at 3.4GHz.

• I still have over one gigabyte of free RAM memory.

• Disk reads appear to be rather low: 2MB is nothing. My pagefile is located on a RAID0 matrix that has more than 180 MB/s of bandwidth (at least that’s what HD Tune says). Chivalry resides on a separate drive, which is not a part of the matrix.

• The files that are being loaded from Chivalry directory are the textures.tfc, and the _art.upk and _game.upk files of the map itself.

I’ve noticed that lockups continue until game finishes loading the .upk files. textures.tfc is being read for a few more moments but lockups are gone before that finishes. I know that some graphic cards and graphic drivers have a hard time loading textures of incorrect proportions on the fly, but I think this problem only affects OpenGL. It’s difficult to say whether the loading of this textures.tfc file is the cause of the problem.

I think the problem could be resolved if the game loaded all necessary resources on the loading screen, and not by streaming them during the actual game. I don’t know, however, if Unreal Engine allows to set that.

• Try right clicking on the game in the library, go to properties, go to local tab, click verify game files/cache.

If that doesn’t work, try running the game from the UDK.exe file itself.

• @Keith:

Try right clicking on the game in the library, go to properties, go to local tab, click verify game files/cache.

I’ve already done that and it didn’t work.

If that doesn’t work, try running the game from the UDK.exe file itself.

I’m pretty sure that won’t work either but I’ll check. You’d have to assume that Steam does something different to the game process when you start the game from the “Play” button, as opposing to starting it from the .exe (which also starts Steam, anyway). That would be bad programming, and I doubt that Steam is badly programmed.

• Could be extreme fragmentation on your D: drive or a bad sector.

• @gregcau:

Could be extreme fragmentation on your D: drive or a bad sector.

And yet every other game works just fine. It’s definitely not fragmentation, Windows 7 has auto-defragmentation on. UltraDefrag shows a very clean graph for the partition on which the game resides. A bad sector would cause system wide lockups, I believe. The system is still responding normally when the game is going crazy in its window. Keep in mind that my friend is experiencing the same thing, and I don’t believe the probability of us both having faulty drives is very high.

• More reports of this problem:

• Yeah I also get this like 90% of the time after a map change. Usually within the first 60 seconds I always see someone writing “lag” in chat. So it clearly affects quite a few.

Maybe it’s server specific? Most of the time I play on the “Official Classic Server Multiplay UK”.

• @sorry_lad:

Yeah I also get this like 90% of the time after a map change. Usually within the first 60 seconds I always see someone writing “lag” in chat. So it clearly affects quite a few.

Maybe it’s server specific? Most of the time I play on the “Official Classic Server Multiplay UK”.

Yes that is server specific, TBS needs to get on Multiplays ass.

• Yup I had made a thread about this as well. Surprisingly it doesn’t happen for me anymore though.