LMB stigma.

• I was in a LTS today. I was one of the last people alive on my team. 5-6 enemy players assaulted me. Using LMB attacks, I managed to take 3 of them out (Playing as a Knight). I thought this was a fairly good display of swordsmanship.

I’m not in the top tier of players. I played in a clan briefly, but I mostly just pub. I would say I am in the higher tier of non-clanned players. I know how to vary my attacks. I know how to combo. I know how to semi-read feints. I know how to play reasonably well.

The problem I have is people getting abusive when I kill them with LMB attacks. The thing is, the vast majority of people (not all, of course) are easy to dispatch with a flurry of LMB attacks. Sure I could overhead and/or stab. You can usually quickly tell if someone you are face to face with is in the category of being a ‘comfortable kill’. And when they are, I see no problem in killing them with slashes.

So please tell me, do the rest of you have a problem with players like me, that use LMB to kill the majority of players? I guess the way I see it, when people stop being easy to kill with LMB attacks, I will be forced to stop using it.

Thanks!

• I always laugh when people complain about LMB.

There are two types of LMBers.

a) Noobish who charges and LMB wildly in hope of killing people (works against noobs).

b) Pro who LMB because they are watching carefully their opponents reaction and are ready to parry and followup at the moments notice.

My personal fav is pro’s who are so used to lmbing on a pub server when you block and followup with a feinted attack they get owned.

• Left mouse button OP, please remove. luck based combat.

• You’re right Gregcau, there definitely are 2 types of LMB user. I would say I use it in a controlled way. Ill happily mix things up against people whom LMB is not suitable to kill.

JCash, your reply was not as helpful.

• Something else I wanted to add is that it doesn’t seem so important as to what attacks you use, what seems more important is your footwork. Good footwork can help land any hit, even against a player better than yourself.

• Nothing better than killing 3 wannabe gangbangers, with 2 lmbs with the zwei.
    And laughing at them calling you lmb spamming noob.
    Footwork is everything as the lad above me said.
    Theres a place and time for every attack. And of course it varies with the weapon you’re using.
    With the SOW for example, lmb should be pretty rare.
    But other weapons do more damage with the horizontal slashes.
    And of course if you have 2-3 enemies lined up, you’ll slash them.
    Usually if the 1st fails to block, the rest will get hit too.

So unless you just mash Lmb and rarely block, you’re not qualified as a spammer.

• I am the lad that posted above you, and I’m the OP! ^^

But you’re totally right.

• Lol was in the middle of editing and didnt bother checking the name :p

• @JCash:

Left mouse button OP, please remove. luck based combat.

Oh I get it! You’re mad that they’re nerfing feinting because it is a gamble mechanic so you’re sarcastically comparing LMBing to feinting to mock those people that complain about an actually broken mechanic! Very clever.

• @Slight:

@JCash:

Left mouse button OP, please remove. luck based combat.

Oh I get it! You’re mad that they’re nerfing feinting because it is a gamble mechanic so you’re sarcastically comparing LMBing to feinting to mock those people that complain about an actually broken mechanic! Very clever.

You don’t know JCash very well, do you :P

• @SlyGoat:

I got a lol out of that too.

JCash is now the new (unwilling) feinting messiah.

Posters and propaganda forthcoming. JCash 4 feints! Never forget!

As to the topic, I love it when people call you a “noob” when you kill them in any way. I always profess confusion and ask them what they mean, then when they say “you’re bad”, point out that they’re the one who died… Of course then the cheater / lamer accusations start coming etc but /shrug, like I said, they died, their problem. If it ain’t a certified exploit, any method is acceptable, fair, and if used at the right time, certainly viable. This includes LMB attacks.

Such people who complain at things like this are usually the ones who suddenly want to make up their own rules when losing at a board game or whatever. Unless terms are agreed in ADVANCE, like I said it is their own fault. They simply failed to compete on equal footing.

• i like to think i’m a decent player, and when i get killed by one of the guys that run at me and just lmb (i’m usually fighting someone else) i feel like someone just took a dump in my cereal

• @SlyGoat:

Pshhhhhhhh, I aim to keep it that way.

Why would he mock then if not due to his filthy peasant upbringing? Surely he is nothing but a mere peon compared to a noble such as I? Thy stratification betwixt you and I is so great, not even an intellect as keenly superior as mine can cross it. (betwixt… it’s all in the miiiiiiiiiiiix)

A parting gift.

On topic, Oh mah gerd teh spamz da laurence mickey botón but dey dunno it taeks sk1llz. Lerl!

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with LMB spamming, as long as you aren’t swinging through teammates. If you aren’t, go to town. If someone is dying to LMB spam, they’re just bad, simple as.

• @The:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with LMB spamming, as long as you aren’t swinging through teammates. If you aren’t, go to town. If someone is dying to LMB spam, they’re just bad, simple as.

Fact. You’ve died to LMB spam multiple times within the last 3 days.

• Main problem is it’s too easy and effective compared to other attacks, especially at low level combat, but also slightly in higher level combat.

Many players have no incentive not to LMB-spam, as doing so would only make them perform worse for a long time until they got better.

I know when I first started out playing this game as a little nublet fighting hoards of other little nublets I raged a lot at the mindless yet excessively LMB-spam. It really didn’t feel like a game of finesse, since any attempt to use finesse just made you eat an LMB to the face even faster.

Eventually I made a pact to myself to never use LMB ever, only stab/overhead. Turned out horribly. Like a trainwreck in slow motion happening over many days. My score per match plummeted, as did my fun. It was only through persevering through the pain that I eventually learnt to play properly and the training payed off.

The main problem with LMB is it is silly fast for no discernible reason. On almost every weapon the horizontal not only has the most forgiving swing arc, but is also the fastest without any significant loss of damage compared to the overhead.
    IRL overhead is faster than horizontal, both in windup and in swing.
    Horizontals are already the easiest to hit with and the hardest to dodge (and I mean dodging with footwork, which all classes do), they don’t need to be the fastest on top of that.
    It’s too much advantage to give one attack type over the other from a gameplay point of view, on top of being unrealistic.

Horiontals should be only as fast as their conjugate overheads and never faster.
    Horizontals should be for attempting to cleave through multiple targets, or for when you don’t think you can reliably hit a target.
    Overheads should be the default attack, as it would be if these were actual people. We want this game to at least look like real medieval combat, don’t we?

On a side note, has anyone ever tried to mimic the horizontal swing? Especially the one-handed one?
    It’s awkward as hell and feels bad on your arm, unless you angle it downwards in which case it starts looking more like the alt-overhead.

• I laugh when people accuse me of just LMBing with the flanged mace. I point out that actually I’m using a combination of alt-slashes and overheads but the mace’s best attack is the slash; it does the same damage as an overhead but is faster and more reliable.

• I know what you mean z0b.
    I recently tried out the Flanged Mace seriously for the first time and I loved the weapon, until I realised there was literally no reason to overhead other than trying not to look like an LMB-spammer (other than if you want to headshot Vanguards for a 2 hit kill).

After looking at Martin’s weapon stat page I’m hesitant to ever equip it again, as much as I want to.

• @Slight:

@The:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with LMB spamming, as long as you aren’t swinging through teammates. If you aren’t, go to town. If someone is dying to LMB spam, they’re just bad, simple as.

Who are you?

• @Slight:

I can confirm this, i lmb spammed him with drumstick in TO lol (he was distracted)

@The:

Who are you?

He’s dibbz (sike, i don’t know either)
    seems like dibbz takes like 2-3 month hiatus’s from forums then comes back with a fiery vengeance