Competitive Players, 1st or 3rd Person?

• Just wondering what perspective the more competitive players play in. Do any of you only play in one or the other? Why?

I’m personally not competitive in the sense that I’m not constantly trying to find the edge every time I play. I’m looking to improve my skill but I refuse to adopt certain tactics only on the basis that I don’t find them very fun or intuitive. Some of those things include facehugging, lookdown overheads, and especially playing in 3rd person. Not saying that people who do use these are doing anything wrong just I don’t enjoy playing that way.

If by not using these tactics I’m more often than not getting demolished I’m still okay with that because at least, for me, I’m still playing in a way that I enjoy which feels intuitive and fun. This leads me back to the original question, at competitive play, do more of you use 1st or 3rd person?

• All of the top players play in 1st person only. So keep on enjoying first person and know the only advantage 3rd person offers is more vision on shields and peaking over terrain. As far a combat goes, its first person all the way.

• The majority of the oceanic servers that people play on are locked into 1st person.

• @ChuckingIt:

All of the top players play in 1st person only. So keep on enjoying first person and know the only advantage 3rd person offers is more vision on shields and peaking over terrain. As far a combat goes, its first person all the way.

I somewhat disagree. All aspects of actually swinging your weapon are way easier. I’ve sparred with ‘Monk’ clan a bit, their whole thing is that they primarily play in third person.

The dragging and precise range judgement given by third person, especially when combined with dancing, is somewhat crazy. I’m talking about consistently being able to land behind the head overheads, running away and turning to hit with pinpoint accuracy, easier to set up ambushes if you run behind a corner, and just a general enhancement of what you’re able to perceive and judge.

And if you think you’re good at positioning people so your swing hits people early, try playing in a mode where you consistently get to see 100% of your swingtrace. You get good at clipping people a first person player would consider out of range.

I’ve bounced around with the perspective I use in chivalry, currently its first but i’m considering switching back to third somewhat soon.

Its useful to remember that the competitive community banned third person for giving the users (especially shield users) a huge advantage with few negatives and because the original competitive community was made up of ex AoC players all willing to do that.

The positioning of your block to parry doesn’t need to be very precise in the game right now. for your body blocking your view to be much of a negative parry wise, it would need to be more difficult.

@lemonater47:

The majority of the oceanic servers that people play on are locked into 1st person.

You still cant effectively lock server perspective.

–----------

for archers personally i still find first person the more effective perspective, but there are decent third person archers.

• Those reasons you mentioned isn’t the reason its usually locked into first person.

The major reasons are being able to see around corners and being able to eliminate the weakness of lowered vision when using a shield.

• Anyone who voted for 3rd is not a competitive/clan player. If you are a clan/comp player, you use 1st… period. That 30 some odd percent do not play comp, it’s not allowed in comp.

They may be competitive in the way they play the game, but the title asks competitive players i’m guessing like the ones in clans that scrim and want to do tourneys and such… so i’m answering for that

• @clayton-bigsby:

Anyone who voted for 3rd is not a competitive/clan player. If you are a clan/comp player, you use 1st… period. That 30 some odd percent do not play comp, it’s not allowed in comp.

They may be competitive in the way they play the game, but the title asks competitive players i’m guessing like the ones in clans that scrim and want to do tourneys and such… so i’m answering for that

… devbehindview 1

if you think a lot of comp players dont just use that you’re a silly nilly.

• Anyone who voted for 3rd is not a competitive/clan player. If you are a clan/comp player, you use 1st… period.

You are so wrong. I wish people wouldn’t make totally ridiculous generalisations like this. /facepalm

• so you are a competitive player that breaks rules? what clan are you a part of?

jcash, i know the command exists, it sucks but it’s still against the rules… MOST comp players use 1st person in prep for having to use it in tournament games. If they don’t then, that’s pretty sad.

The point is that in competitive play, 1st person is the only view allowed by the rules to be used, so if they are using 3rd, they are breaking the rules and should be DQ’d … just no way to tell currently.

• @clayton-bigsby:

so you are a competitive player that breaks rules? what clan are you a part of?

jcash, i know the command exists, it sucks but it’s still against the rules… MOST comp players use 1st person in prep for having to use it in tournament games. If they don’t then, that’s pretty sad.

The point is that in competitive play, 1st person is the only view allowed by the rules to be used, so if they are using 3rd, they are breaking the rules and should be DQ’d … just no way to tell currently.

I think having multiple rulesets is in general (and in the specific case of Chiv) terrible, and a clear sign of design issues with the game.

If you need to agree to not feint to make dueling fun

Agree to only use first person to make competitive play balanced (see i can stay on topic)

Restrict class use (50/50 rule) to make games interesting

Those are all signs of tremendous problems. Imo.

–---------------

! And I’m an ex competitive player atm, slowly cutting down on my chiv hours and making the transition into being a casual, as i play more chess. Gave up on the devs coming to their senses and removing feints or nerfing them so that they’re readable. I’ll just continue my wait for a proper swordfighting game. Had really high hopes for this one.

• 3rd person is for chumps.

• i was asking Mr. Heph that first question.

The 50/50 rule, idk what it’s about really but i guess it’s so that teams don’t have a whole group of knights or something? idk at least the 50/50 rule you can check up on by looking at scoreboard

No feint duel agreements are very chivalrous actually, it’s not that you can’t have fun without them, some people just prefer that way of dueling and consider feinting to be more guessing and no feint to take more skill atm.

1st person is to eliminate the advantages you have with 3rd, you can clip your vision through walls, see around walls, above hills, etc… so it’s not allowed in comp.

3rd person is advantageous in many ways, the only real better side of first person is parrying, and getting facehugged… but in 3rd you can control and see your swings and characters movement, you can see behind your character, you can kite, drag, and circle extremely well… so it certainly has it’s advantages.

But comp players should, and mostly do play in 1st person.

• Clayton you look different - did you get a hair cut?

• lol my other pic had me in a helmet, or it was clayton-bigsby.

I think my clayton-bigsby avatar either

A.) pissed people off or
    B.) made people not take me seriously

so i changed it

• @JCash:

… devbehindview 1

if you think a lot of comp players dont just use that you’re a silly nilly.

This has been removed.

• HAHA yeah you bastards! TAKE THAT!