Revise helms, new marketing idea

• Ok, so vet helms do not really mean anything since it is so easy to unlock everything. Not to mention they rarely work (cough).

I propose a meaningful goal for good players to achieve with a tangible aesthetic reward.

The basic concept is, very good players get rewarded with a rare helmet, sigil or something that distinguishes them on the battle field.

This has a couple of key benefits.

• Good players are encouraged to play and work towards it, more players online.
    • I can see who is the good player on the TO game and be prepared to face this monster.

The key question is how to distinguish them. Doing it by rank is not going to work as rank is a moving target over time and rank does not equate to skill (though there is a correlation).

So I suggest something similar to

• If you have over 1000 duel kills
    • And your ratio is greater than 8 to 1.

Then you get the special helm, sigil, whatever.

Lets face it, we enjoyed the progression of unlocking weapons so lets create a new goal orientated progression.

This would have a hard requirement of

• ability to reset your global stats

Now TBS could query the global stats and figure out what the ratio was for the top 5% players to make the ratio ideal.

• That’d be kinda cool, I’ve always been one for working towards unlocks… after unlocking all the helmets there is just nothing left! I think Aesthetic awards would definitely motivate me more to work for it rather than an occasional incremental in my level.

• Please not duel kills. Think how much time someone would have to pour into the crappy duel mode against terribad players to get a helmet that is supposed to be for good players. Helmets should, if possible be able to be acquired in all modes.

E.g. Top the leaderboard for your team of 5 or more players 100 times.

You can get this if you “win” duel mode, or are top in any of the other game modes.

Also, tournament trophy helmets. TBS sponsored tournaments with helmets as a prize. Every new tournament the helmets go up for grabs for the team that wins. This way they get passed around to whoever’s currently top. Will hopefully also get some interest from players that aren’t even aware of competitive Chivalry.

• There should be helmets for every 5 rank ups too.

I’d also like to see something like tf2 where there are items for sale, like you can customize your character with clothes, helmets, etc

• @NabsterHax:

Please not duel kills. Think how much time someone would have to pour into the crappy duel mode against terribad players to get a helmet that is supposed to be for good players. Helmets should, if possible be able to be acquired in all modes.

E.g. Top the leaderboard for your team of 5 or more players 100 times.

I would agree with that, but they would have to add new code to track that and figure out what the top 5% statistic is.

• In my customization thread, I proposed you recieved a cloak when you’ve reached a certain awesomeness level in the game :P A cloak is something you’d see easy on the battlefield rather than a sigil, and it differs more from a special helmet since I hope Torn Banner is going to add more helmets anyways for all of our customization needs!

Or well, the cloak would be for the two defensive classes - the Knight and the Archer - and the Man-at-Arms and Vanguard would recieve some cool armour that has no other benefits than looking good. Like the Man-at-Arms leather armour gets updated to metal, but of course won’t change stats and affect game balance. The Vanguard could get something akin to his old concept art, so he gets a shoulder armour in metal, a pair of different shiny bracers, and some nice embroidery to the edges of his tabard and his belt.

• A high ranked helmet for rank 45+ maybe?

• matchmaking would make this system a lot easier.

helmets based on rating.

helmets for master duelers
    helmets for master objective players
    etc.

• @aRRON:

A high ranked helmet for rank 45+ maybe?

Yeah but over time 45 will become common. So something else is needed to track the top players, to make the item special.

• I completely agree with you idea I have though about this myself,though in my opinion it would have to reflect each class(since not everyone rules with every class).meaning that it would have to track each class not game score overall.

My one issue with this idea is if it is to easy to get collectibles the game would seem to lose its theme and or seriousness if everyone was decked of in cloaks and shiny armor.