Helmet/Headshot Bug

• There is an odd bug where hitting with a ranged projectile will knock someones helmet off, but clearly either doesn’t do full damage or didn’t hit their head in actuality.

I’ve noticed this when using the short spears, and headshotting opposing archers leaves them quite alive. I’m not sure of the actual damage values for that specific scenario, but I would imagine that it is a bug that their helmet comes off or it doesn’t do full damage.

• This is due to the client and server being slightly out of sync (due to latency) - client-side it appeared your projectile hit, and thus the player’s helmet was knocked off, as helmet removal is a client side effect. But on the server, the player’s position was slightly different, so it was actually a near miss resulting in no damage taken.

There isn’t really anything we can do about this - even games with lag compensation and hitscan weapons will show blood decals on things that appear to be client-side hits but are actually misses. This is the same kind of scenario.

• This is due to the client and server being slightly out of sync (due to latency) - client-side it appeared your projectile hit, and thus the player’s helmet was knocked off, as helmet removal is a client side effect. But on the server, the player’s position was slightly different, so it was actually a near miss resulting in no damage taken.

There isn’t really anything we can do about this - even games with lag compensation and hitscan weapons will show blood decals on things that appear to be client-side hits but are actually misses. This is the same kind of scenario.

This sounds incorrect. Hitting the head plays the flinch animation, which is definitely not client side, and the player takes no damage. The client is registering a hit (which could be mistaken, as clients tend to be at times, unless the impact sounds/registering of hits is server side, but I don’t know), but the server must also be registering a hit to play flinch because it cancels that player’s attacks. I’ve hit people in their windup, cancelled the attack they did, watch their helmet fall off, and they’ve taken 0 damage because I’ve had to hit them 3 times with the Shortsword (Vanguards). This cannot be all the fault of the client, it simply can’t.

I’d be very interested to know if all of Age of Chivalry’s projectiles were completely server side, because despite it being a different engine, it was perfect when it came to projectiles, absolutely no comparison to the bullshit we are seeing now with projectiles flying right past people then suddenly deciding they hit, or projectiles that hit directly, then suddenly decide to do no damage.

There are effectively two ways of dealing with projectiles:

1. Have the server keep track of the projectile real time, have the client fire a simulation only (so you’re not actually seeing what the server sees), which I believe is the case right now based on evidence.

2. Have the server keep track of the projectile real time, then transmit the vector to the client so you will always see the path of the projectile as the server sees it (regardless of the player location being updated). This, in theory, should eliminate almost every case where projectiles appear to go past you, then suddenly jump backwards and you take damage.

Whichever one it is for projectiles, only the programmers will be able to shed more light on it because they programmed it.

Also, losing your helmet cannot be a client only effect, because you see other people’s helmets fall off. The client has to tell the server his helmet fell off (unless this is actually server side), but the server is mixing things up, why should it even be allowing helmets to fall off if it knows that player received no damage in the first place? Same question for the flinch/cancel I mentioned earlier, why is it being allowed if the server decides no damage was dealt?