Parrying long range weapon stabs in mace/hatchet range

• When, for example, a vanguard stabs you in mace or hatchet range, his weapon clips through your character even during the preparation of the thrust. Because of this, I find that knowing where to aim your parry feels a bit weird. I intuitively attempt to parry the point closest to where my character is going to be hit, but because you have to aim at the tip of the weapon in order to parry, that doesn’t always work. Instead, you seem have to aim at where the tip of the weapon would be if it weren’t already behind you before the stab even started. Is this just me or have other people noticed the same issue?

Furthermore, Kwal and I did some testing and, if you’re noserubbing a vanguard with a 2h sword and he aims completely downwards and stabs your feet, it seems to be impossible to parry the sword while standing upright. Of course, this situation is unlikely to happen in a real game, but it’s probably an effect of the same issue.

A possible solution would be to simply make stabs where the target is closer to you than the tip of your weapon at the very end of the thrust windup ineffective. They’d just bounce off harmlessly. Perhaps flinch your opponent if he is winding up an attack so it’s not too punishing to accidentally stab from too close range.

• Yep, I agree with this suggestion. Furthermore stabbing is currently the best possible attack with swords and having it bounce when too close to an opponent would balance it out a little.

• I agree, I hope the guys pay attention to this one! It makes blocking half impossible, and taking serious damage from a weapon bumping into you (Because your so close) is rather annoying.

• I’ve said before that player models should have a bit larger collision to help prevent things like this. The amount of humping you can do is very excessive.

• @SlyGoat:

I’ve said before that player models should have a bit larger collision to help prevent things like this. The amount of humping you can do is very excessive.

Completely agree. It happens with 1h weapons too where they rub their noses in your chest and swing away making it nearly impossible to block. Their faces become like magnets to you chest and you can’t aim to block.

Kind of like Sly’s arrows magnetize toward my head… ;P

• yah, i reported this issue near the end of alpha where i felt being way too close to other players, even with your shield up, made it almost impossible to parry or block an enemies attack.

• @Vox:

yah, i reported this issue near the end of alpha where i felt being way too close to other players, even with your shield up, made it almost impossible to parry or block an enemies attack.

Yep I’ve suffered from this problem numerous times. In one game i actually gave up on the shield because MaA were just facehugging me constantly and even if I raised my shield I would still get hit. I’ve also found that shield bash doesn’t work sometimes when I have my shield already raised, but even worse than that sometimes it will activate when I lower my shield again which wastes stamina and can spell death.

• I know at somepoint in alpha I was goofing around with console commands and was able to bring up object wireframes and the like. I think if that is still in place you should be blue to find the collision boxes for hits, which might further help hone in on problems like this. I have no clue what they were, but stard typing show ans see what comes up.