Helmet customisation that makes you money?

• I know this isn’t an original idea, but has the dev team ever thought about opening an in-game store where players can purchase different helmets for a very small price? kind of like how TF2 or DotA2 has their own little steam shops which probably earns them a mint.

The thing about chivalry is it already has a unique persistent customisation option, giving players a stronger sense of individualism compared to other games using microtransactions.

I’m pretty sure a lot of players will rage at this because they want free helmets, I’m also sure the game has sold fairly well and you have some money you want to put back into it, but I think it would be a wise move to think of some long-term steady income you could get from the community by giving them something they want, if you approach the shop as mass-produced & low cost, players are gonna be happy to spend $1 on a cool custom helmet they haven’t seen many other people wearing.

Thoughts?

• This is like the 3rd topic today on this. Why not reply to one of those? lol

• I hope this never happens.
    Hate what team fortress has become.
    Dont get me wrong, i do want more helmets or other customization but stay true to the game.
    I dont want to see baseball caps and football helmets in Chivalry.

• I did a search and the only helmet customisation that came up had nothing to do with microtransactions.

Obviously football helmets and baseball caps would look total shit, I’m not suggesting that at all, just genuine helmet designs. I don’t see how this would “take from the game”, the game would look better, players would have a more individual experience, and the devs would have more income, which means more further development on the game we love.

• I did a search and the only helmet customisation that came up had nothing to do with microtransactions.

Obviously football helmets and baseball caps would look total shit, I’m not suggesting that at all, just genuine helmet designs. I don’t see how this would “take from the game”, the game would look better, players would have a more individual experience, and the devs would have more income, which means more further development on the game we love.

• I like all ideas but dont make it a Teamfortress 2 with helmet trading bullshit. kthxbye

• @Felerian:

I like all ideas but dont make it a Teamfortress 2 with helmet trading bullshit. kthxbye

Agreed with this, I would absolutely hate it if Chivalry went down that route.

• Guys, please read my suggestion, I compared TF2’s microtransaction system, and the fact the in-game cosmetics are headgear, I don’t in anyway advocate stupid baseball helmets, or TF2’s chest & key system, crafting, trading e.t.c, as we all know it is a pile of turd.

Please if you’re going to comment or give criticism, stay on the topic of the idea of Chivalry having a micro-transaction store which gives players the option to purchase a wide variety of custom helmets (which stay true to the realistic art-style) for a fair price (think veteran helmets, but LOADS of different kinds).

And if you don’t agree with it based on the fact you are poor & you don’t like micro-transactions, consider that this would bring in a significant amount of revenue for TBS, allowing them to put more back into the game, this suggestion is meant to benefit everyone, which I believe does.

• I would love customization. But Chiv design have to keep it smart.

If it continue its medieval theme with non-fantasy related stuff it will be AWESOME.

I would pay for some customization, but nothing that affects the gameplay…

• Agree, no fantasy or modern shit please.

The problem I see with the idea is that you would only pay once for the helmet. Thats almost equal to raising price on the game itself. A steady income would need something that runs out to be purchased, cant see anything useful here.

Also some people get pissed when they buy a game and then have to pay a second time to get the content. Understandable if you bought a game in a shop, but you cant buy the content cause you dont have a creditcard/paypalaccount/whatever…

• It’s cosmetic, people pay for DLC’s, and expansions, todays market is all about selling in-game aesthetics, look at league of legends for example, they make millions just on selling skins, devs need more money? release a new skin, the same concept can be applied to Chivalry.

The thing about “steady income”, is it all depends on the player base, but it’s mainly down to what the devs produce, lets say chivalry has 50,000 active players (completely made up number, I have absolutely no idea) - and let’s say 50% of them spend £6 buying 2-3 helmets for a couple of their favourite classes.

£300k is some decent income for art assets like helmets, and the thing is, it doesn’t have to stop at helmets (for which there are easily hundreds of possible designs), capes for knights, premium bow/quiver skins for archers, cheap shield skins e.t.c - once the shop was implemented the devs could stream through loads of low-cost content, and keep the game profitable.

• And people will gladly take them for free too.

And what if they were community made its all the better.

This game isn’t for any micro transactions. I remember the devs saying they wouldn’t do anything like this with a store or paid DLCs. Could be mistaken but I’m mostly sure.

Anyway none of us want to pay for helmets. What is this TF2?

• @lemonater47:

And people will gladly take them for free too.

And what if they were community made its all the better.

This game isn’t for any micro transactions. I remember the devs saying they wouldn’t do anything like this with a store or paid DLCs. Could be mistaken but I’m mostly sure.

Anyway none of us want to pay for helmets. What is this TF2?

Oh you’re speaking for everyone are you?

Don’t worry I’m sure you’ll get your free content, game developers usually work for free don’t they?

• I disagree with the OP. Also, anytime someone disagrees with the OP, he gets all defensive and starts insulting people. prepares for my share of hate

I would like more customization, but fuck, FUCK, FUCK microtransactions.

• Had many people disagree with me, haven’t insulted anyone……I am starting to regret being active on this forum though, half of the replies didn’t even consider my suggestion and started talking about TF2, and the other half seem to be these ancient gamers who don’t know the current market.

What you need to realise, is you’re not going to get a SIGNIFICANT amount of free content for this game, sure we’ll get some bug fixes and a few small content/balance updates while the game still sells, but the sales will slow, and eventually the game will not be profitable for the studio and they will need to focus on their next title.

If you love this game enough, you would want it to be developed further, and kept alive, to do that you have to PAY THE DEVELOPERS.

YES you have already paid them, but you have GOT what you paid for, if you want more, you need to pay more, this is how the world works, they won’t work for free forever.

A cosmetic microtransaction business model that doesn’t boost player strength creates the perfect scenario, players who are willing to part with the money they would spend on a pint of beer get the customisation they want in-game, and the players who are cheap and want everything for free are not at a disadvantage in any way, this keeps the game alive as you are paying the developers wage.

It’s a logical suggestion, what else can the developers sell other than cosmetics which won’t ruin the game, they could sell new map packs in DLC? then the freeloaders don’t get the maps, new weapons? freeloaders don’t get the weapons. Only way to make it fair is aesthetics.

It seems most replies to this aren’t considering the suggestion in the grand scheme of things, and like a wise man once said, arguing with people who have abandoned the use of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead.

• Nah, no microtransactions. I don’t think I would ever pay a few cents over the internet for a helmet in a game. In ANY game. I prefer if they develop an expansion pack, like one that would feature the Tenosians invasion of Agatha, it will introduce a completely new faction with dozens of new weapons, customization options like helmets and armour, new maps and game modes, etc. Something I’d gladly pay €25 for. I like buying nice bundle of stuff for a nice bundle of money, rather than one single minor things for like €0.25

Or they could release just a bunch of new helmets, skins, color patterns and body options for all the classes, plus a new map for like €5-10.

• I really don’t understand the logic about preferring to buy " a bundle of things", over single things.

When you buy into a bundle, there could, and probably is going to be content you don’t care about, in terms of customisation.

For example, you buy the “awesome bundle expansion” you’re talking about, which comes with loads of different customisation opens, which you will only use a portion of - because that will be how you customise your avatar.

In contrast, for this situation to not happen - would mean there isn’t enough customisation in the bundle to be forced to “choose”, therefore everyone would all be using the same customised gear.

The benefit of things being sold seperately, is you get EXACTLY what you want, and if you wanna buy a bundle, then just buy everything in the shop, problem solved, and EVERYBODY wins.

(try and think about the big picture, it’s not all about one persons obsessive consumer preferences)

• If you want to have something free it should be mundane.

I would like to spend sufficient money to get something unique that nobody else has.

I would pay $250 for a hot archer.

• @DaPPa:

I really don’t understand the logic about preferring to buy " a bundle of things", over single things.

When you buy into a bundle, there could, and probably is going to be content you don’t care about, in terms of customisation.

For example, you buy the “awesome bundle expansion” you’re talking about, which comes with loads of different customisation opens, which you will only use a portion of - because that will be how you customise your avatar.

In contrast, for this situation to not happen - would mean there isn’t enough customisation in the bundle to be forced to “choose”, therefore everyone would all be using the same customised gear.

The benefit of things being sold seperately, is you get EXACTLY what you want, and if you wanna buy a bundle, then just buy everything in the shop, problem solved, and EVERYBODY wins.

(try and think about the big picture, it’s not all about one persons obsessive consumer preferences)

And with this big reply of yours, you failed to notice the new faction, the new maps, the new weapons and the new game modes I also want in said bundle? It’s like… (trying to remember when I last bought an actual expansion pack)… like if I bought the Imperial Guard addition for Dawn of War and instead of gettin a new army, new units and a new campaign, I would just get like a squad of guardsmen? If I want all the content, I’ll have to buy every kind of unit and campaign map and upgrade separately.

You want the devs to get money, why can’t they develop a DLC full of content for $20-25? Sure, people like you who only wanted that codpiece for the agatha knight and nothing else will suffer… or something. But I think most people would be happy with all the stuff that got added, and Torn Banner get their well-earned money.

• And with your long replies where you speak for everyone, you failed to read the thread topic, we’re not talking about maps, or expansions.

We’re talking about helmets, go make your own topic about an expansion if you’re that bothered about it, stop being so self righteous.