This feint madness needs to stop

• @gregcau:

just rename his UDK.exe when he hits rank 20 and tell him the game doesn’t work anymore.

The good ol’ rank 20 rages.

@funthomass:

but as time goes on I worry he won’t enjoy it after a few months.

I think it’s quite silly to expect any one person to share the same views as you. Games come and go and appeal to different people for different reasons. Let him do what he wants.

• @gregcau:

@funthomass:

I would really like to get my friend to play this game for it is awesome and fun, but as time goes on I worry he won’t enjoy it after a few months. What should I do? Should I prepare him for the same frustration I have? Or should I keep his hands off Chivalry?

You need us to tell you if your friend will enjoy the game? If you are quite frightened for his mental safety just rename his UDK.exe when he hits rank 20 and tell him the game doesn’t work anymore.

Would not work. He’s a programmer…And please, start taking this more seriously…

• @funthomass:

Everyone is just fighting here for one side or the other, and I am very, very afraid what’s going to happen to the game :(. It seems like the game came with a mechanic that people are simply not ready for.

I would like to see one of two followings:
    Either the devs will say “this is the game, stfu, learn it”
    The devs will come up and tell us how do they deal with feinting themselves.

Either one of these things will be considered a huge gesture, a sign of empathy.

Yup, it’d be cool if the devs did stuff period. Would be a huge gesture that they’re still working men instead of slackers.

@funthomass:

Now to something personal: I would really like to get my friend to play this game for it is awesome and fun, but as time goes on I worry he won’t enjoy it after a few months. What should I do? Should I prepare him for the same frustration I have? Or should I keep his hands off Chivalry?

Reality check. If your friend plays the game for a few months he’s gotten well over his money’s worth. It’s a great game all around and you’ll always have fun playing it, feints are just a dampener but they don’t ruin the game.

In all honestly, it seems like you’re making up this “friend” dilemma just to give this whole thing gravity.

• First and fucking foremost - feints are here to stay. Devs do not want to get rid of feints, just to refine them to be more balanced. End of story.

• @omg87:

First and fucking foremost - feints are here to stay. Devs do not want to get rid of feints, just to refine them to be more balanced. End of story.

They’ll do what we tell them to do. We made them and we can destroy them.

• Feints will stay in the game.

Feints won’t be nerfed to the point of being a useless waste of stamina.

Feints will be toned down - you can already see what we’re doing to them in the beta.

• @SlyGoat:

Feints will stay in the game.

Feints will be toned down - you can already see what we’re doing to them in the beta.

And thus CMW will remain mired in arcade mediocrity.

JCash…hate to say “told you so”…but I did. ;)

• @Panzerlang:

@SlyGoat:

QsogswrH6ck

• Whelp, I guess there’s always the sequel to look forward to.

• Noone has the balls to do old-school PC games for the PC anymore.

• @SlyGoat:

Well I guess that’s that then. No need to keep arguing about whether feints should be removed or not and instead focus on what can be changed to fix them.

Are there any ideas on the air on how to rework feints in the next beta? The ones in the current beta don’t really change much and I feel like feints still need a lot of work to be balanced out.

• @SlyGoat:

@Panzerlang:

@SlyGoat:

QsogswrH6ck

And of 20k+ other players apparently. You might want to think about that in time for the sequel. If it ever happens.

• @SlyGoat:

@Panzerlang:

@SlyGoat:

QsogswrH6ck

I honestly wonder if the devs actually play chiv at all.

I just have this to say, and i won’t waste any more time trying to bring sanity to these forums and improvements to the game through logic.

If you leave in. A gamble mechanic. This game. Will never be one in which a competitive scene can thrive.

A TRICK mechanic is fine, but recall that you need to do something to that trick to make it in principle readable and react able.

Everything you’ve considered doing to feints ignores the core issue with the mechanic.

Do you know why so many people have a problem with them? Because they’re the only aspect of chivalry that is gamble based. Which means chivalry has an inherently lower skill ceiling with them in. Its a binary action, do this or do that. No matter what logic is going into which you choose to do, you have to pick.

You can only pick correctly so many times.

Do you know why clan players are fine with them? They exist in the clannie bubble, in which they fight each other over and over again in FFA duel servers. Yes, if you fight someone six times in a row, you’ll catch on to their patterns. If you fight someone every day for a month, you’ll be VERY GOOD at predicting their patterns. And if your main focus, your main way of enjoying the game, is playing with a group of other very good people, and learning to work with them, feints will effect your interests less.

The group feints are ruinous to are the players with medium-high skill that are not part of clans, but play to have personal skill.

So, I’m leaving the forums never to return. I was a single issue poster. Hopefully you will listen somewhat to the one ex aoc player that still plays this game regularly. Although, with feint in, i dropped out of the clan scene and now play casually. I just cant take it and the backslapping/exploit practice that goes on in the clannie bubble seriously.

eVmfziT8YIM

• @Panzerlang:

And of 20k+ other players apparently. You might want to think about that in time for the sequel. If it ever happens.

Please don’t be a jerk to the developers. You have barely even played the game and you are a self-admitted professional game complainer who just looks for bugs, hacks, issues to complain about.

• @SlyGoat:

So…. barely anything?

• @dudeface:

@SlyGoat:

So…. barely anything?

Yup.

I’ll just let you all blame me. I DID THIS.

Go on, I can take it. :queen:

(not really, but go ahead and blame me and leave the rest of them alone.)

• @gregcau:

@Panzerlang:

Please don’t be a jerk to the developers. You have barely even played the game and you are a self-admitted professional game complainer who just looks for bugs, hacks, issues to complain about.

I have nearly two fucking decades of experience in PC gaming that allow me to pinpoint with extreme accuracy the success or failure of a game.

CMW is a mediocre arcade blaster with the standard dev mentality that will not admit of anything that will save the game from death.

Next.

• SlyGoat’s post sounded really depressing, to be honest. I hoped TBS would really try to fix feints, but this sounds just like they won’t change anything important at all.

I can’t stand the disregard anymore we, the guys who hate feints and still post on the forums, have to receive. It’s a serious problem: 8 (/9) friends of me left the game because of exploits, and mostly because of FEINTS. I’m at a point, where dueling is completely impossible, and even the other modes I can’t play longer than 15 minutes.

“We’ll fix it a bit” is exactly the same as: “It’ll stay the same as it is now, shut up”, and this is what worries me the most. So actually they don’t want to fix the game… great, so there’s my hope gone, that the game will ever be funny again to me :(

• @Kimiko:

@dudeface:

@SlyGoat:

So…. barely anything?

Yup.

I’ll just let you all blame me. I DID THIS.

Go on, I can take it. :queen:

(not really, but go ahead and blame me and leave the rest of them alone.)

That is a valiant effort, meatshield, but even you won’t be able to withstand the withering words of the roused rabble for too long. :rage:

• @Panzerlang:

Noone has the balls to do old-school PC games for the PC anymore.

Not sure if you consider Quake and Quake 2 to be old school, but if you think that is any better, its laughable.

Top players edited sound files for textures (different sounding footsteps depending on what texture), to play ridiculously amped up sounds and whatever sound they wanted to play, like “BEEP BEEP” for important positions.

They did this, because they were sick of players mindgaming them and tricking them into thinking their position was in one place when it was completely in another. There was an element of strategy in map control for quake, and there was a whole mind-gaming meta within that. Guess you hate strategy games too?

You even had timers, because people weren’t skilled enough to multi-task and keep track of that many timings of item spawns while maintaining map control and fighting at the same time.

Not only that, but hit-scan? How can you consider hit-scan any different from feinting. You can’t control which way they are going to aim, and many shots killed in 1-2 hits, especially SSG and railgun. You don’t dodge hit-scan, you can only avoid them; same with feints. You’re predicting to where they are going to shoot, you are not reacting.

I guess all this 3rd party programming keeping track of things for you and editing sound files and other visual files to give you a clear advantage is “skill” to you; because that’s exactly what happened in old school PC games.